Advice Request Is Norton any good these days? Should I buy this antivirus?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Can Norton Security Standard on its own protect a PC?

• Yes

Votes: 44 81.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 18.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
i have uninstalled f-secure. I tought it would be lighter on my system. sometimes a little "ram-eater" with about 350mb.
The GUI is still not my favourite...the intensive blue color blinds me :cool: ok the scan speed is really impressive.
What are you going to use now ?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

i have uninstalled f-secure. I tought it would be lighter on my system. sometimes a little "ram-eater" with about 350mb.
The GUI is still not my favourite...the intensive blue color blinds me :cool: ok the scan speed is really impressive.

I'm with you here.. The UI is poor, especially the color selection.

It's strange, F-Secure appears to be running fine. Then you notice random slowdowns or ballooning up of it's processes and it starts to dog.. Then you reboot, and it goes back to normal for awhile. Just not happy with it, despite it being free I don't think it's a great offering. IMO

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

i had a won license from avast....with tweaks from @Evjl's Rain and @Windows_Security.. its so light.
the second reason to kick norton was a problem with the reinstall.....no chance to reactivate my license.
every time a message...no connection with the web browser....f****** b******:

Oh, the old 'Norton cannot connect' issue when you try to activate/register/re-pin the installation.. They STILL haven't fixed that issue after 5 years of people reporting it?

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Oh, the old 'Norton cannot connect' issue when you try to activate/register/re-pin the installation.. They STILL haven't fixed that issue after 5 years of people reporting it?
I dont have that bug, i did have it with G-Data , after 3 reinstalls got the message that my license is expired. Can not reinstall it again. So bad..... money down the drain.

Reactions: catjc and upnorth
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I dont have that bug, i did have it with G-Data , after 3 reinstalls got the message that my license is expired. Can not reinstall it again. So bad..... money down the drain.

The G Data bug I believe was related to servers being taken offline and G Data not properly redirecting. G Data has had quite a number of things like this come up but in fairness, their payment processor is to blame for a lot of it. I'm just confused as to why they couldn't redirect their old servers to the new. Anyway...

I feel you.. I've seen Norton registration/license issues come up quite a lot for people.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
Currently testing Norton again, made some changes in the settings, Sonar aggresive mode etc. It feels alot lighter than G-Data. G-Data can not help me on the phone, so my license is gone.

Reactions: catjc

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
nope...i have reinstalled norton security deluxe a few days ago...time wasted. :mad:

Untitled.jpg

the fix i have found with "browser changing" doesnt work...so R.I.P. Norton

I have loved the incredible lightness, but this error after every new activation...( and yes, I have a clean system without errors)

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
nope...i have reinstalled norton security deluxe a few days ago...time wasted. :mad:

View attachment 197757

I have loved the incredible lightness, but this error after every new activation...( and yes, I have a clean system without errors)
You have downloaded with the installer the version that not has the bugfix. I installed Norton Deluxe this week, the installer downloads an old version and after that the version with the bug fix. Try to find version 22.15.1.8, this version will be installed as a patch later.

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
OK that sounds logical. After my bullguard-test i will try it. Thx for your advice (y)

Reactions: L0ckJaw
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

View attachment 197757

So sad it took them 5 years to resolve this. Have they resolved it officially? I've probably opened 4 tickets for this over the years.

Norton is actually an fairly good product IMO. It's got a great firewall. When ramped up to aggressive it's very protective. Also the price is right! Let's hope they actually did fix this and people can figure out where to download the fixed version.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018
So sad it took them 5 years to resolve this. Have they resolved it officially? I've probably opened 4 tickets for this over the years.

Norton is actually an fairly good product IMO. It's got a great firewall. When ramped up to aggressive it's very protective. Also the price is right! Let's hope they actually did fix this and people can figure out where to download the fixed version.
I never had this bug, could always reinstall and reregister Norton without any issues.
The new version is as smooth as can be.

L0ckJaw

Level 19
Verified
Content Creator
Well-known
Feb 17, 2018

This is the fix log :

4. Whats's new in Norton 22.15.1.8?
- Fixed an issue where activation fails with Server error (-2016)

- Fixed an issue where Local backup fails with an error "Make sure the destination drive or device is connected”
- Other bug fixes

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Unless there is a direct download or the web installer is grabbing the latest version, this won't help because to update you need to activate right? Or where they smart, allowing it to update before activation? :unsure:

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
You have downloaded with the installer the version that not has the bugfix. I installed Norton Deluxe this week, the installer downloads an old version and after that the version with the bug fix. Try to find version 22.15.1.8, this version will be installed as a patch later.

at the moment its hard to find an installer with the fixed version. i just find old installers :confused:

Reactions: Local Host
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Not one to give up with things that annoy me.. I found an offline installer, got it installed, live updated.. Oops.. Same issue with the issue they supposedly already fixed. The last time this happened and I didn't want to give up I let the Indian Dude work on my host machine on a VLAN for 3 hours. He first said 'your machine is infected probably', I showed him I JUST created that clean image 15 minutes before calling him. Three hours later he fixed it, but doesn't know what he did to fix it but I immediately wiped the machine because he screwed up about 5 other things.

Why are companies like Norton so pathetic? There are literally dozens of threads for these same issues. Can you imagine the impact this issue has on their bottom line? There is such a massive disconnect from Norton Support up to Norton Engineering they probably never actually get these matters escalated.

failnorton.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.