Advice Request Is Sandboxie still to be trusted after it got bought up and was made free? Want to sandbox VLC

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrMaximum

Thread author
Apr 17, 2020
Sandboxie switched owners in 2017 and is now free, maybe that was one of those moves were pll buy a trusted program in order to spread their malware ? The irony of it alone has me paranoid

What sandbox software do ppl use these days ?
I was hoping to run VLC or MPV Player sandboxed

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
maybe that was one of those moves were pll buy a trusted program in order to spread their malware ? The irony of it alone has me paranoid

Not fully understanding what you are saying here. Release 5.33.6 is probably the best-functioning SBIE build I've ever used and I trust it implicitly. This is the final Sophos build and can be downloaded:

One might need to fill out an Export Compliance application, which isn't much to do. I was able to get the 64 bit installer again just now. Works great for me on Windows 1909 but poorly browser-wise on Insider Fast ring builds 19603 and 19608. I'll have to wait.

One can read the SBIE developments starting here. It seems a former Sophos engineer with expertise of the SBIE kernel will be volunteering his time. The Sandboxie authorities are suggesting to stick with 5.33.6 for now, instead of open source 5.40.1 due to a certificate issue.

I've sandboxed Windows MP3 player w/Sandboxie myself, no problems at all. If you want to explore other sandboxing software, there's Shade which I have tried several times and found it not to be friendly. But that's my opinion.

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Not fully understanding what you are saying here. Release 5.33.6 is probably the best-functioning SBIE build I've ever used and I trust it implicitly. This is the final Sophos build and can be downloaded:

One might need to fill out an Export Compliance application, which isn't much to do. I was able to get the 64 bit installer again just now. Works great for me on Windows 1909 but poorly browser-wise on Insider Fast ring builds 19603 and 19608. I'll have to wait.

One can read the SBIE developments starting here. It seems a former Sophos engineer with expertise of the SBIE kernel will be volunteering his time. The Sandboxie authorities are suggesting to stick with 5.33.6 for now, instead of open source 5.40.1 due to a certificate issue.

I've sandboxed Windows MP3 player w/Sandboxie myself, no problems at all. If you want to explore other sandboxing software, there's Shade which I have tried several times and found it not to be friendly. But that's my opinion.

This is pretty much my experience with Sandboxie as well. I certainly trust the last Sophos build and unless things change it looks like the open-source future of Sandboxie as it stands currently looks like it will be safe to use too, unless it gets bought by some rogue business later on. I prefer Sandboxie to the built in Windows alternative, so far, quite possibly due it being what I'm used to.

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
I don't know how trustworthy the new owner is. However, making the source open is a good sign for trustworthy-ness because now you can see how the software works without needing knowledge in reverse engineering.
He is the member of Wilders from 2006 but as a developer is acting from ca 2018 so It's rather sure that some issues would be found and reported.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.