Advice Request Is Shadow Defender officially dead now?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Currently I'm using Toolwiz Time Freeze, because Shadow Defender causes slow boot on Windows 10.

Anyone know when was the last release of Toolwiz Time Freeze ? :unsure:

Stopspying

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 21, 2018
Wilders, Softpedia and MajorGeeks all point to June 2 2016 as being the last time it was updated.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
When was Shadow Defender last updated?
Unbenannt.PNG

Frib004

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2018
Anyone know when was the last release of Toolwiz Time Freeze ? :unsure:

TTF causes BSOD and SD slows down the boot time every reboot/ shutdown in Shadow Mode, I think is better backup frequently the image of the OS instead of using virtualization software LOL.

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
TTF causes BSOD and SD slows down the boot time every reboot/ shutdown in Shadow Mode, I think is better backup frequently the image of the OS instead of using virtualization software LOL.
I wouldn't take it for day to day use either, way too time intensive. I only use it for malware testing on my secondary system.

Frib004

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2018
I wouldn't take it for day to day use either, way too time intensive. I only use it for malware testing on my secondary system.
I already used Shadow Defender in an old PC with Celeron E330 1GB RAM and a very old 160GB HDD with Windows 7 and SD always worked fine, but now I have a Windows 10 machine with Core i3 6100,8GB RAM, Kingston A400 SSD 240GB and SD slows down the boot every time I boot in Shadow Mode. I like SD, but it's impossible to see a machine with SSD taking more than 40 seconds to boot up.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Something like that was my doubt, software drivers must be signed by Microsoft on Windows 10 otherwise may be causing BSOD.
TTF haven't been updated since years, looks like it's driver(s) doesn't work on Windows 10, maybe related to "Secure Boot"

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

I got problems with TTF`s driver on an old W10 version, .629 or something, updated to the latest and that solved it.
TTF running fine now.

Reactions: JakeXPMan

Frib004

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2018
SD should be used without fast startup enabled, maybe that is the problem.
I turned fast startup off and Windows 10 boot still longer than normal when Shadow Mode is enabled for more than 1 day or so. I really like SD, but as I said, seeing a SSD machine taking almost 1 minute to boot isn't normal.
I got problems with TTF`s driver on an old W10 version, .629 or something, updated to the latest and that solved it.
TTF running fine now.
I'm running Windows 10 20H2 build .928, this is the latest stable version and I downloaded TTF from the official site, which means that is the latest version too.
The BSOD was caused by TWZDISK.sys according to BlueScreenView. I unninstalled and the BSOD's stopped.

Reactions: JakeXPMan and Kongo

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018
I turned fast startup off and Windows 10 boot still longer than normal when Shadow Mode is enabled for more than 1 day or so. I really like SD, but as I said, seeing a SSD machine taking almost 1 minute to boot isn't normal.

I'm running Windows 10 20H2 build .928, this is the latest stable version and I downloaded TTF from the official site, which means that is the latest version too.
The BSOD was caused by TWZDISK.sys according to BlueScreenView. I unninstalled and the BSOD's stopped.

So why has this happened, a Windows update, or was both programs newly installed on the computer with the mentioned result?

Try find the problem with a clean boot test, it may be a compatibility issue.

Reactions: Kongo

Kongo

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017

Ever tried Rollback Rx?

Reactions: Frib004

Frib004

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2018
So why has this happened, a Windows update, or was both programs newly installed on the computer with the mentioned result?

Try find the problem with a clean boot test, it may be a compatibility issue.
These are the others softwares I have on my computer, I think the "incompatibility" is related to Windows 10, because I saw other people saying about the same problem I have. Here are the softwares:

Capturar.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

Frib004

Level 2
Verified
Nov 17, 2018
Ever tried Rollback Rx?

I don't like these software that change the MBR, because I already have a bad experience with Comodo Time Machine which I think is similtar to Rollback Rx.

Reactions: ichito

pxxb1

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2018

Also, this one caused me problems: KB5001330 Windows Update is reportedly causing performance drop in games, failed installs and bootloops - gHacks Tech News

I usually could install but it caused problems

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
SD doesn't needs as much updates as other apps like sandbox, light virtualisation, SRP, firewall, HIPS etc. They aren't based on signatures but rather on local rules and technologies. SD contrary to TTF can protect all local (removable and accesible USB also) disks including MBR with track0. The next thing...SD was tested against malware and it appears to be bulletproof, TTF failed in the past some tests.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.