Advice Request Is the improved performance of Microsoft Defender a myth? Should we necessarily be using a 3rd party AV?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
I can understand why @Furyo posted here. Anyway, I talked with @danb about SRP many times. We have different opinions, but I think that we could agree that:
  1. Anyone has the right to have a personal opinion about SRP.
  2. SRP protection is rather a complex topic, so any discussion about SRP on MT is pretty much useless - most readers cannot fully understand the arguments and cannot decide who is right.
  3. According to Microsoft, (classic) SRP and Applocker are not currently security boundaries.
  4. According to Microsoft, (classic) SRP and Applocker can be still very useful security layers.
  5. According to some MT members, both SRP and VoodooShield can be very useful security layers.
I would rather rely on the above and stop the further discussion about SRP in this thread. Such discussion was out of topic here, and the continuation will be out of topic too.

Last edited:

NormanF

Level 7
Verified
Jan 11, 2018
MD can be bolstered by Microsoft Defender For Endpoint. If you need to get to settings not available on the home version, that's the ticket.

AV is good yes but EP supplements it in ways where AV is found wanting.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.