Advice Request Is there any third-party program capable of writing NTFS drives on Mac?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

malti578

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 6, 2018
Hi,

I have a problem:
I just switched from Windows to macOS. When I inserted my NTFS external hard drive into the Mac machine to transfer files, only to find I was restricted from writing to it. After searching for the possible solutions, I was advised to format my drive to FAT32 or exFAT (but this is not what I want) or get help from a third-party app like Paragon NTFS for Mac, iBoysoft NTS for Mac, or Tuxera NTFS for Mac.

These applications appear to be paid. Has anyone used any of these tools? Could you please give me some advice?

Thanks a lot!

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
Maybe one of Paragons free tools might do the trick, but I never tested them all so can't confirm it. Their Backup and Recovery tool I prefer over Macs builtin Time machine.

Perhaps member @MacDefender can help.

Upvote 0

malti578

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 6, 2018
Maybe one of Paragons free tools might do the trick, but I never tested them all so can't confirm it. Their Backup and Recovery tool I prefer over Macs builtin Time machine.

Perhaps member @MacDefender can help.
Thank you for your recommendation. I will take a look at these free Paragon tools.

Upvote 0

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
You’ve already mentioned the 3 most popular paid solutions…. The only other thing I can think of is trying to use the open source FUSE approach,

Overall though I wouldn’t recommend using NTFS drives with a Mac as a long term solution. Nobody has completely reverse engineered NTFS and all of its features, you’ll be running the risk that your drive could get into a bad state by these software incorrectly writing to NTFS.

Upvote 0

malti578

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 6, 2018
You’ve already mentioned the 3 most popular paid solutions…. The only other thing I can think of is trying to use the open source FUSE approach,

Overall though I wouldn’t recommend using NTFS drives with a Mac as a long term solution. Nobody has completely reverse engineered NTFS and all of its features, you’ll be running the risk that your drive could get into a bad state by these software incorrectly writing to NTFS.

@MacDefender Thank you for your suggestion. According to this post, I need to have Command Line Tools for Xcode and Homebrew package manager installed first and then download and install macFUSE. This approach requires some command line mastery, which seems difficult for me.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.