Advice Request Is there some software to scan files if they are password protected?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

empleat

Level 1
Thread author
Mar 23, 2020
Is there some software to just scan files if they are password protected? Or do I need antivirus for that? Note: like a zip file, or any type of file...

Thanks!

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
If you could scan password protected files, then the protection would be useless and the software that created the file should be replaced by something else as soon as possible. In short, no there isn't

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
If you could scan password protected files, then the protection would be useless and the software that created the file should be replaced by something else as soon as possible. In short, no there isn't
I think he meant to scan disk to find password protected files & not actually scan/open them.

Try this
100% free software for detecting protected or encrypted files

PS haven't used myself, so no clue if it actually works. (Just tried it works pretty well) Read about it on Ghacks article but it was from 2008. Give it a shot.

Last edited:

struppigel

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Apr 9, 2020
This would take too long unfortunately, not sure if it would even work for any type of file!
It does not take long because command line programs can easily be automated / done in batch.
But of course it would only work for those archive types that are supported by 7zip.

If that is still an option for you, I can help you create a script.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.