Battle Is VIPRE Antivirus the lightest antivirus?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
Hello,

As you know, VIPRE is one of those AV Products that claims to not cause any slowdown on your computer. ESET, Baidu and Webroot are popular to be light AVs.

How would VIPRE measure up with those products, in terms of:

1. boot time/shutdown
2. file copying/moving
3. web browsing
4. scanning
5. everyday computing

Thanks.

Reactions: Malware1

Infrared

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Feb 15, 2014
When i test VIPRE it takes forever to update the database i don't know why but it does, that being said i have to agree that panda is on the lighter side but you also have Bitdefender free which is also light.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would give the edge to Webroot although I use have used ESET for a very long time and has never caused any slowdowns.This is subjective however because depending on your PC's hardware configuration and running programs any light program can be heavy on your system

Reactions: Kent
I

illumination

I would have to agree with exterminator, that webroot has a slight edge on lightness over Eset, and it would greatly depend on your system and other software.

ifacedown

Level 18
Thread author
Verified
Jan 31, 2014
I would have to agree with exterminator, that webroot has a slight edge on lightness over Eset, and it would greatly depend on your system and other software.
Would have to agree on that. But I prefer ESET in terms of detection.

Webroot maybe is the lightest of all.

I can't run ESET properly on Windows 8.1 Update 1

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
@ifacedown What are your system specs? Results will vary on different systems. For the most accurate outcomes you need to test this for yourself.

zeusc4

Level 4
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
on my PC, comodo use 12mb to 22mb RAM for 4 processes (2system, 2 user) it's little RAM for me :p

i think it's webroot, but cloud AV needs INTERNET

Dark Knight

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
To be honest I cannot really say if Vipre is lighter or not, the last time I used it was on Windows 7 when it first came out and it's performance then was superb.
Being on Windows 8.1 now, I have tried a lot of different AV's paid and free, the only one I have come across that is light on resources is Webroot Secure Anywhere.

Reactions: Petrovic
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.