Is your computer security knowledge Basic/Medium/Advanced?

Is Your Computer Security Knowledge Basic , Medium , or Advanced ?

• Total voters

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
When we join MalwareTips we are asked if our Computer Security Knowledge is Basic, Medium, or Advanced.
This seems like an easy question, as it has only 3 choices to pick from....but comparing ones level of Computer Security knowledge to the general population can be trickier than it first appears.

With this in mind I have created a Poll in order for MT members to show their own level of knowledge and to find out the knowledge base of MT members as a whole.

Below is a guide to indicate what each option equates to..and once you have voted, perhaps you could post a comment that may explain your vote, and/or tell us..
How does your current level of knowledge compare to that of before you joined MT?
What mark out of 10 would you give your family members or friends?

• 1.BASIC: (Level 1); What is an Antivirus? ...& Do I need to visit a pharmacy to get one?
  • 2.BASIC: (Level 2); I know what an Antivirus & Firewall are,but that is the limit of my knowledge.
  • 3.BASIC: (Level 3); I have an Antivirus, and I also perform on demand scans with another software too. I try to avoid "Dodgy" sites. I am not really familiar with other security software yet.
  • 4.MEDIUM: (Level 1); I actually read the UAC alerts rather than just close them. I back up all my important data,and I am investigating other security software to use with my Antivirus.
  • 5.MEDIUM: (Level 2); I am familiar with HIPS,Anti-Exploits,& Sandboxes,and I have a rough idea what they do. I am aware of social engineering too.
  • 6.MEDIUM: (Level 3); It has been a long time since my system was last infected.I am happy with my level of security knowledge,but I continue to learn.
  • 7.ADVANCED: (Level 1); I know EXACTLY how all different security software works,and I can also perform complicated system tweaks. I would/do feel comfortable testing malware on my machine. To all my friends/family I am the "go to guy" for security related help and advice.
  • 8.ADVANCED: (Level 2); I could keep my system secure while blindfolded. I could/do develop my own security software.
  • 9.ADVANCED: (Level 3); My level of Computer security knowledge is so high that there is not much for me to learn other than NEW technology. I am on MT more to help others that may know less than me.
  • 10.I AM IN THE MATRIX; I have code for blood & could extinguish any security threats by just the power of thought.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
It seems that only certified CyberSecurity Experts could set themself in Advanced (Level 3) and I AM IN THE MATRIX.

Also, I think "develop my own security software" is a bit too high of a milestone. It means that only actual developers here could be Advanced (Level 2), while the others would have to be below it. If that's the case, I would be Advanced (Level 1). I'll go with that :)

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
It seems that only certified CyberSecurity Experts could set themself in Advanced (Level 3) and I AM IN THE MATRIX.

Also, I think "develop my own security software" is a bit too high of a milestone. It means that only actual developers here could be Advanced (Level 2), while the others would have to be below it. If that's the case, I would be Advanced (Level 1). I'll go with that :)
That's why I phrased it as "I could/do develop my own security software." so that one does not "need" to be a developer,one only needs the ability to.:)

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Thank you all for the votes and replies so far:)...
I wanted this poll to give a very broad range of ability/knowledge choices...
It may be that in comparison to the average joe most MT members could consider their knowledge advanced, but being champion of the local dojo does not mean that one could beat Bruce Lee...
The Poll ranges from pretty much knowing nothing to pretty much knowing everything,and that IMO is a genuine yardstick to judge ones knowledge against..
How would you compare your level of knowledge/Ability against that of Cruelsister, or Fabian Wosar for example?...and what of those people in the World who's knowledge may even exceed theirs?;)

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
Thanks to this site and it's amazing members I'd say Medium level 3 - which I am pleased with, so a doctor, and understand computers!!!!!! Malware, I find very interesting, that's why I joined MalwareTips, so basically it's a hobby for me. Now I've locked my system down, more secure than the White House perimeter fence.

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
  • 6.MEDIUM: (Level 3); It has been a long time since my system was last infected.I am happy with my level of security knowledge,but I continue to learn.
  • 7.ADVANCED: (Level 1); I know EXACTLY how all different security software works,and I can also perform complicated system tweaks. I would/do feel comfortable testing malware on my machine. To all my friends/family I am the "go to guy" for security related help and advice.
I think i'm between the 2 above, but still continue to learn obviously :D

How does your current level of knowledge compare to that of before you joined MT?
What mark out of 10 would you give your family members or friends?

With security I am quite a bit more knowledgeable then before I joined
My friends and family would be these below...
  • 1.BASIC: (Level 1); What is an Antivirus? ...& Do I need to visit a pharmacy to get one?
  • 2.BASIC: (Level 2); I know what an Antivirus & Firewall are,but that is the limit of my knowledge.

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

I would rate myself at 7.ADVANCED (Level 1), just without this line "I know EXACTLY how all different security software works" - I don't think anyone can really say that they know everything about all security softwares, than developers themselves. Its just not humanly possible to keep track of all security software changes/updates. o_O

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I would rate myself at 7.ADVANCED (Level 1), just without this line "I know EXACTLY how all different security software works" - I don't think anyone can really say that they know everything about all security softwares, than developers themselves. Its just not humanly possible to keep track of all security software changes/updates. o_O
I agree with what you are saying....I meant it more as knowing exactly how the generic components of a security software work (such as Behaviour Blockers / Heuristic Analysis / ARP Protection) than the specific coding/algorithms used by each software company....:)
Kind of like knowing how Southern Fried Chicken is made, without knowing KFCs secret blend of herbs & spices ;)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.