Is your computer security knowledge Basic/Medium/Advanced?

Is Your Computer Security Knowledge Basic , Medium , or Advanced ?

• Total voters

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
You see, this one of the primary reasons why these options were removed from the Security Configuration Wizard. You cannot tell for certain x member has x level of computer security knowledge, and not everyone has the same interests when it comes to categorising experience into levels. Security is a broad term, that's why I opt-out from categorising myself from something I am not, or cannot guarantee. How do you categorise Human Error?

You never know too much because of Quantum Computing and Cryptography.
This poll was never going to be "hyper accurate" and that was never my goal anyway.....
The options provided are vague definitions that allow somebody to contextualise their security knowledge against other members.It is not a checklist.
I am polling members opinions of their own knowledge,based on the given criteria.
Everything is subjective...from a very early age most of our opinions (whether they be about ourselves or others) are influenced by personal opinions/tastes/preferences/desires/inherent emotional weaknesses/prejudices /experience/intuition....
Would you hold back from offering an opinion of good AVs or Security practices for example? ....as those opinions are not "Absolute" or "Guaranteed" either!
Human Error (To answer your question)..can be catagorised by IQ x Relevant Experience x Attention Span x Fatigue Level x Competing thought processes.............But I figured that may be too complicated to include in the poll;)

D

Deleted member 2913

Based on the details of the levels, I would say, somewhere between Medium Level 3 --- Advanced Level 1

My family/friends, somewhere between Basic Level 2 --- Basic Level 3

I am not from IT field or tried anything IT, computers, etc... Any/Every thing I know about security, computers, etc... is from personal experience, forums, google search, interest to learn, etc...

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
This poll was never going to be "hyper accurate" and that was never my goal anyway.....
The options provided are vague definitions that allow somebody to contextualise their security knowledge against other members.It is not a checklist.
I am polling members opinions of their own knowledge,based on the given criteria.
Everything is subjective...from a very early age most of our opinions (whether they be about ourselves or others) are influenced by personal opinions/tastes/preferences/desires/inherent emotional weaknesses/prejudices /experience/intuition....
Would you hold back from offering an opinion of good AVs or Security practices for example? ....as those opinions are not "Absolute" or "Guaranteed" either!
Human Error (To answer your question)..can be categorized by IQ x Relevant Experience x Attention Span x Fatigue Level x Competing thought processes.............But I figured that may be too complicated to include in the poll;)
That's also fun to see how well / bad, people evaluates themselves :)

Last edited:

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
My knowledge in terms of computer security is still stuck on Advance Level 1.

Why? Because even though I've created basic antivirus program way back before for my project; however no formal certification to prove I'm passed on any related examination.

I'm thankful to MT since it is a bonus to know more complicated terminologies and my path through computer security is clearly shown.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Actually knowing AV and Firewall is already a bonus information of knowledge to anyone; matter of interest if you are going deep.

Logethica

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
That's also fun to see how well / bad people evaluates themselves :)
Yes,it is:)...
I get the impression that perhaps some of those that consider themselves as "the elite" within the confines of the MT forum dislike the fact that they cannot give themselves a 10 on the poll that I created !...
This poll does not exist to facilitate the massaging of egos...
It was deliberately structured so that once the number of votes pass the 50 mark the poll results (If translated into a graph) would resemble a "Bell Curve".with the majority of votes sitting in or around the options in the middle of the choice list...
I could have easily created a structure that would give the best MT members a 10,and then contextualise the remaining MT members against them...but to do that is both illogical and pointless.
Perhaps I should have done a poll on Superiority/Inferiority complexes and their impact on the distortion of perception;)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Yes,it is:)...
I get the impression that perhaps some of those that consider themselves as "the elite" within the confines of the MT forum dislike the fact that they cannot give themselves a 10 on the poll that I created !...
This poll does not exist to facilitate the massaging of egos...
It was deliberately structured so that once the number of votes pass the 50 mark the poll results (If translated into a graph) would resemble a "Bell Curve".with the majority of votes sitting in or around the options in the middle of the choice list...
I could have easily created a structure that would give the best MT members a 10,and then contextualise the remaining MT members against them...but to do that is both illogical and pointless.
Perhaps I should have done a poll on Superiority/Inferiority complexes and their impact on the distortion of perception;)
I agree ;)
You made me and a friend laugh ! look at him !! loOL :)
phoque.jpg

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.