Advanced Security Jackknif3's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Jun 4, 2022
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Device sign-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Network firewall
Real-time protection
Windows Defender with ConfigureDefender
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
Configure Defender (high)
Documents AntiExploit
FirewallHardening
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Free
KVRT
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browsers and extensions
Firefox
-Search: Google
-Addons: HTTPS Everywhere, uBlock Origin
Secure DNS
NextDNS
Desktop VPN
None
Password and passkey manager
BitWarden
Maintenance tools
None
File and photo backups
External Harddrive (connected only when transferring)
System recovery
Windows Recovery Drive on USB
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Gaming
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
i7-6700K
Asus 1070 O8G
G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3200Mhz (2x8Gb)
Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB (Main drive)
1 other SSD (something like 240 GB)
2 HDDs (1 & 2 TB)
Feedback preference

Detailed suggestions and alternatives welcome

Jackknif3

Level 1
Hey all,

here's my current config, might've forgotten to add something, it's been a while since I've done much to my config.
Looking for suggestions since I decided to drop VoodooShield a while back.
As I said, I used to use VoodooShield but decided to drop it recently after the update (7.10 or something like that...). Should I consider replacing it with something?

I am mostly using freeware security solutions currently, but please do recommend paid options as well if you think they would be more beneficial in any way.
 
Last edited:
You could harden your system further with Simple Windows Hardening also from @Andy Ful like ConfigureDefender:
I would use MS Edge as browser security wise when you rely on Windows Defender:
For periodic security scanners there are other more preferred options:
Why the use of 2 adblockers, AdGuard and uBlock Origin ?
 
You could harden your system further with Simple Windows Hardening also from @Andy Ful like ConfigureDefender:
I would use MS Edge as browser security wise when you rely on Windows Defender:
For periodic security scanners there are other more preferred options:
Why the use of 2 adblockers, AdGuard and uBlock Origin ?
Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll have to look more into the hardening, probably will implement it shortly.

Also will have to see about Edge, really like Firefox and have gotten used to it, so it's probably going to be a lot of work to switch, but we'll see.

Adding KVRT as a periodic security scanner.

Ummmm, to be honest, I don't even remember anymore, probably saw people recommending those here/somewhere and decided to get both.
Is it recommended to only use one or are there some adverse effects when using both?
 
It is not recommended to use two the same kind of adblockers by Raymond Hill the maker of uBlock Origin:
Seriously: Do NOT use similar-purposed blocker(s) along with uBlock Origin: this will cripple uBO's ability to defuse anti-blocker mechanisms and its ability to minimize likelihood of site breakage. ("similar-purposed" = any other blocker making use of EasyList).

Plus it can slow down browsing.
 
Also will have to see about Edge, really like Firefox and have gotten used to it, so it's probably going to be a lot of work to switch, but we'll see.

I use 2 browsers: Edge and Chrome. If you still want to use Firefox and enhance your security, you could keep one adblocker and use DNS protection on Firefox. I have NextDNS set for Chrome.
Nice thread to configure NextDNS

 
Last edited:
Nice thread to configure NextDNS

Thanks for the tip!

I'll look into DNS protection and especially NextDNS since you mentioned it.
 
I used to use VoodooShield but decided to drop it recently after the update (7.10 or something like that...). Should I consider replacing it with something?
If you have good browsing habits I wouldn't bother. I'm no longer a fan of hardening, locking-down, layered defenses and all the rest of the nonsense that makes users jump though hoops. I prefer usability. ;) Simply keeping your OS and apps updated goes a long way in keeping you safe.

And if you spend a great deal of time on the computer I recommend this app Mindfulness at the computer. :cool:
 
Personal Files & Photos backup -> You may use here also a cloud service.

Device recovery & backup -> Windows Recovery Drive on USB, You should use here preferably a full image system back solution, there is no backup process in Windows Recovery Drive on USB, only recovery :)
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top