Jay's Config Settings

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
Nice config. :)

You might be interested in adding HTTPS Everywhere to your extensions for Google Chrome: HTTPS Everywhere - this will allow the communication between the browser and the website to be encrypted.

Reactions: jay_ddh

jay_ddh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 21, 2015
Good config.
Consider adding Ccleaner as reliable system and privacy maintenance tool.
Ahha I remember that tool from WinXP era. Let me have this added once I fully repair my PC. Thanks for the suggestion!!

Good! :) You should add Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit, free would do.
Let me get that added to the list! I'm in the middle of recovering my PC from an infection so.. Thanks for the suggestion :)

Nice config. :)

You might be interested in adding HTTPS Everywhere to your extensions for Google Chrome: HTTPS Everywhere - this will allow the communication between the browser and the website to be encrypted.

Oh? I will look into that for consideration. Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Infamous

Level 1
Verified
Dec 20, 2015
Oh? I will look into that for consideration. Thanks!!
Some examples of why having the communications between your browser and the website encrypted is a good thing:

- If someone connected to your network (for example if it wasn't protected or they somehow guessed or obtained your network password) they would usually be able to sniff out credentials and other information you type and submit online if they are "monitoring" you (as in sniffing packets and similar). However, with the help of HTTPS, the communication becomes encrypted and therefore makes everything much more difficult since they would receive encrypted information back. This could be especially useful if you were connected to a WiFi hotspot on your system for example, where other strangers may be connected and purposefully trying to sniff out peoples login credentials.

- If you ended up getting infected with malicious software, a banking trojan for example, depending on how sophisticated it is the HTTPS connection would prevent the attacker from receiving the real credentials. The reason behind this is because the attacker would receive the encrypted credentials once the banking trojan sends the logs back (or just a standard password stealer, not purposefully and specifically targeting banking Trojans). Of course, it won't stop all of them, but it could be the light in shining armour to still save your account credentials.

Those are just two examples, but it may give you an insight to its usefulness. :)

Reactions: LabZero and jay_ddh

jay_ddh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 21, 2015
Some examples of why having the communications between your browser and the website encrypted is a good thing:

- If someone connected to your network (for example if it wasn't protected or they somehow guessed or obtained your network password) they would usually be able to sniff out credentials and other information you type and submit online if they are "monitoring" you (as in sniffing packets and similar). However, with the help of HTTPS, the communication becomes encrypted and therefore makes everything much more difficult since they would receive encrypted information back. This could be especially useful if you were connected to a WiFi hotspot on your system for example, where other strangers may be connected and purposefully trying to sniff out peoples login credentials.

- If you ended up getting infected with malicious software, a banking trojan for example, depending on how sophisticated it is the HTTPS connection would prevent the attacker from receiving the real credentials. The reason behind this is because the attacker would receive the encrypted credentials once the banking trojan sends the logs back (or just a standard password stealer, not purposefully and specifically targeting banking Trojans). Of course, it won't stop all of them, but it could be the light in shining armour to still save your account credentials.

Those are just two examples, but it may give you an insight to its usefulness. :)

Guess you're on point

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Excellent configuration in terms of real-time protection and on-demand scanners.
One good addition would be CCleaner as a reliable maintenance application, for cleaning up junk/temporary files and for privacy optimization.

Also, since most of the times it's not enough to simply backup individual files locally (e.g. an external HDD) or online (e.g. a cloud storage service), you may consider the following system imaging software for creating full backup images of your system which allow you to restore your system to the exact state it was in when you created those images:
OR

And lastly, allow me to recommend you my personal favorite and extremely secure password manager: KeePass
It is reliable, secure, and open-source (which means that anyone can look into its source code at any time to verify its legitimacy, and of course compile a build of their own using that source code).
Check its security features here (click).

jay_ddh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 21, 2015
Excellent configuration in terms of real-time protection and on-demand scanners.
One good addition would be CCleaner as a reliable maintenance application, for cleaning up junk/temporary files and for privacy optimization.

Also, since most of the times it's not enough to simply backup individual files locally (e.g. an external HDD) or online (e.g. a cloud storage service), you may consider the following system imaging software for creating full backup images of your system which allow you to restore your system to the exact state it was in when you created those images:
OR

And lastly, allow me to recommend you my personal favorite and extremely secure password manager: KeePass
It is reliable, secure, and open-source (which means that anyone can look into its source code at any time to verify its legitimacy, and of course compile a build of their own using that source code).
Check its security features here (click).

Up to this point, it brings down to the following as gap fillers:
  • Additional security: MalareBytes Anti-Exploit
  • Additional optimality: CCleaner
  • Secure Web Browsing: HTTPS Everywhere
  • Full Backup Image: Macrium reflect Free (since it's free I guess?)
  • Password Manager: KeePass
NB: big shout out to those contributed to the list: @Anti-Malware Reviewer @Klipsh @Infamous @DracusNarcrym

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
Up to this point, it brings down to the following as gap fillers:
  • Additional security: MalareBytes Anti-Exploit
  • Additional optimality: CCleaner
  • Secure Web Browsing: HTTPS Everywhere
  • Full Backup Image: Macrium reflect Free (since it's free I guess?)
  • Password Manager: KeePass
NB: big shout out to those contributed to the list: @Anti-Malware Reviewer @Klipsh @Infamous @DracusNarcrym
I think your current list is great. The software/add-ons are popular, tested and reliable. You're good to go, start installing! :D

D

Deleted member 178

Approved by Staff

2s9jymOt.jpg

Reactions: DracusNarcrym

jay_ddh

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Dec 21, 2015
C

Crystal_Lake_Camper

I would remove adblock if I where you , there are better options : ublock origin or adguard :)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.