New Update JShelter - JavaScript Restrictor

Add-on/Extension Page
https://jshelter.org/
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

Request to JShelter developers: don't add nonsense, add noise!
Technical definition of noise: irregular fluctuations that accompany a transmitted electrical signal but are not part of it and tend to obscure it.

This morning I got another email notification from Github (Better to provide real world values than random or faked values for three spoofs WebGL, Plugins and Fonys · Issue #166 · polcak/jsrestrictor) telling me again that the WebGL vendor and renderer values are correctly randomized with non-existing fake values. They don't seem to grasp that they are adding identifying nonsense in stead of obscuring noise.

Trace for instances does this (half) right by adding a list of real world GPU models to obscure WebGL vendor and renderer. To do this perfectly right the end-user has to limit this list to DirectX and WebGL versions which the end-user's own GPU model does accept (as explained in red in the picture). So when you have a Intel 620 HD Graphics model, you should limit the list to generation 9 Intel GPU's all excepting DirectX 12_1 (the 5xx and 6xx family Intel graphics GPU's).

1642409453418.png

I only get responses (probably from tech people) that they are implementing what the BLOG tells them to (link). Sadly there seems to be no big-data expert and digital marketeer involved who can explain them what they are doing is putting a huge pink elephant (non-existing value) in a herd of sheep and thinking they won't stand out, so until further notice

DON'T USE THIS EXTENSION

*) This is yet another example of the much posted advice in security forums that it is better to add no fingerprinting protection than wrong obfuscation. Remember that only a limited percentage of the websites use these advanced fingerprinting techniques (5 to 10 at most is my guess) because the digital marketeers using these systems are often only trained in the top3 most prevalent tracking systems and have to proof (every two to three) years that they still know how to operate these analysis/tagging/tracking systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunkar

Jan 14, 2022
Request to JShelter developers: don't add nonsense, add noise!
Technical definition of noise: irregular fluctuations that accompany a transmitted electrical signal but are not part of it and tend to obscure it.

This morning I got another email notification from Github (Better to provide real world values than random or faked values for three spoofs WebGL, Plugins and Fonys · Issue #166 · polcak/jsrestrictor) telling me again that the WebGL vendor and renderer values are correctly randomized with non-existing fake values. They don't seem to grasp that they are adding identifying nonsense in stead of obscuring noise.

Trace for instances does this (half) right by adding a list of real world GPU models to obscure WebGL vendor and renderer. To do this perfectly right the end-user has to limit this list to DirectX and WebGL versions which the end-user's own GPU model does accept (as explained in red in the picture). So when you have a Intel 620 HD Graphics model, you should limit the list to generation 9 Intel GPU's all excepting DirectX 12_1 (the 5xx and 6xx family Intel graphics GPU's).

View attachment 263644

I only get responses (probably from tech people) that they are implementing what the BLOG tells them to (link). Sadly there seems to be no big-data expert and digital marketeer involved who can explain them what they are doing is putting a huge pink elephant (non-existing value) in a herd of sheep and thinking they won't stand out, so until further notice

DON'T USE THIS EXTENSION

*) This is yet another example of the much posted advice in security forums that it is better to add no fingerprinting protection than wrong obfuscation. Remember that only a limited percentage of the websites use these advanced fingerprinting techniques (5 to 10 at most is my guess) because the digital marketeers using these systems are often only trained in the top3 most prevalent tracking systems and have to proof (every two to three) years that they still know how to operate these analysis/tagging/tracking systems.

Reactions: Nevi and Kongo

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
To do this perfectly right the end-user has to limit this list to DirectX and WebGL versions which the end-user's own GPU model does accept (as explained in red in the picture).
Trace has this setting disabled by default. It is, however, available to be enabled in the free version.

I wonder if there are other settings besides this one that will obscure the gpu more completely. I've done browser fingerprinting tests in the past and my hardware (cpu and gpu) were always correctly identified. Think if I have some time, I'll enable the spoofer also and see how it does--the thing is, it's not perfect so I don't have this active at the moment.

One browser test I've used--most know this one already. Should I delete the Microsoft Visual Redistributable C++ libraries (2015, 2017, 2019)?

F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@plat1098

You exactly pin pointed the weak spot. The browser reveals same or similar data through different means: (browser) Agent, Navigator (data), (which standards the browser) Accepts, API's

That is why the idea of Google is really elegant. In stead of blocking and blurring data, a website has some "user data" budget to provide a seamless user experience. When ithe website is over asking data (more than necessary) the browser will block access to these different data sources. Some browsers (Firefox, Brave and Safari) have put time and money in limiting user data access or separating data. So they are trying to change the standards to what they already have developed (or adopt it a little so they still have an advantage over other browsers).

To be honest, I am not using an anti-fingerprinting or blurring solution, because I yet have to find a good functioning extension or the solution chargex to much for what my privacy is worth (e.g. browser bubble) or is a to heavy hit on my internet speed (Tor browser plus VPN)

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Audio + Canvas protection:
Trace disabled Fingerprinting.png

CPU detection:
Trace disabled CPU.png

Resolution detection:
Trace disabled resolution.png

Battery detection:
Trace disabled battery.png

Accounts detection:
Trace disabled accounts.png

Audio + Canvas protection:
Trace Fingerprinting.png

CPU detection:
Trace enabled CPU.png

Resolution detection:
Trace enabled resolution.png

Battery detection: (Quite useless as the battery API isn't used anymore by Firefox at least)
Trace enabled battery.png

Accounts detection: (Don't know why but with Trace enabled it shows me 2 logged in accounts)
Trace enabled accounts.png

Website: Device Info - Web browser security, privacy, and troubleshooting tool.

Sunkar

Jan 14, 2022
I tested on browserleaks.org and it is giving me all of my true user agent data and a unique fingerprint lol. It doesn't seem to do anything on my end.
It won't simply hide or change your userAgent because it may introduce inconsistency of the fingerprint and make it more unique.
I have to correct myself (it's not about consistency):
"User agent wasn't modified because it can cause compatibility issues as we support multiple browsers. We will continue to watch changes in the user agent and may implement some defence in future, although it looks like a better solution is on the way."

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
The discussion in this thread shows that there is no agreement about the best way of spoofing fingerprint elements (and perhaps there isn't such way at all). Apart from this, I don't like spoofing because ordinary tracker blockers do a better job. Nevertheless, JavaScript Restrictor has an interesting new mechanism: FingerPrint Detector (FPD). Quote from the site JShelter::
FPD does not attempt to prevent a script from taking a fingerprint. Neither does FPD falsify a fingerprint. Instead, FPD monitors the APIs that a web page accesses and detects suspicious activities. FPD quickly reacts in case of fingerprint extraction and blocks further web page communication, including storing information.

When you choose for configuration level 0 ('Turn wrappers off'), JavaScript Restrictor will only intervene on fingerprinting sites.

The developer also states:
Finally, note that blocking tools like adblockers can significantly reduce the number of positive detections. These tools use filter lists to block tracking scripts before their execution. Using FPD with a filter-based blocking tool can significantly improve user experience and privacy.

What do you guys and girls think about it?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 92963

@
The discussion in this thread shows that there is no agreement about the best way of spoofing fingerprint elements (and perhaps there isn't such way at all). Apart from this, I don't like spoofing because ordinary tracker blockers do a better job. Nevertheless, JavaScript Restrictor has an interesting new mechanism: FingerPrint Detector (FPD).

What do you guys and girls think about it?
Thanks for the info: I stopped following the development of this extension because of the disappointing discussion I had with them. Now it seems that they agree that blurring and blocking has to be done right (or else it makes you easier to track). So they did some research and sort of changed their finger printing counter strategy :)(y)

As I have posted earlier Google has proposed a similar mechanism, where websites get some 'fingerprinting' credit and when a website exceeds its credits (meaning it gathers more profiling info than needed), the browser would block all futher fingerprinting requests.

So I like this new view on how to tackle fingerprinting for three reasons:
1. It evades the problem of balancing blurring and blocking (with many overlapping mechanism to extract data points to profile), this heuristic approach which makes it a lot simpler
2. The proposed heuristics mechanism seems related to the one proposed by Google (always reassuring when a big player and contributor to W3C standards shares your opinion)
3. Heuristics based blocking has been a proven and successful approach in the past (remember PrivacyPossum) for a privacy enhancing extension

You can argue that Google is coming with a similar solution in the future, but
a) It is Google, what level of fingerprinting does the largest advertising platform finds acceptable (similar to 'acceptable' ads, to whose standard are these acceptable)?
b) JShelter offers it now, so why wait when it is already available now

Edge's new automatic profile switching becomes real handy with this new JShelter heuristics block mode. In your (default for all websites) Strict mode profile you can install JShelter and for bookmarked websites you can switch to the more relaxed profile without JShelter. I agree with @oldschool the current implementation is a bit rough on the edges and the protection might not be worth the extra hassle. All in all it is just version 0.6 and to their credits they seem to have taken a more promising counter strategy

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
New version 0.7 released with a new UI (still potential for improvement) and easier understandable descriptions for each setting.

Screenshot 2022-02-27 010447.png

Screenshot 2022-02-27 010519.png

Screenshot 2022-02-27 010722.png

Even tho there were quite a few different opinions about the best way of protecting yourself from fingerprinting it would be much appreaciated if @Sunkar could give us any other updates worth mentioning. :)

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.