Not open for further replies.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Excluding MR1 restart issues,
@hjlbx and @Sher brought up some interesting topics about KIS 2016 in particular, where its scans etc use quite a bit of power.

I am a user of KAV 2016 only for a little over a week and I use it in a laptop, but such laptop is plugged into AC, not using battery. Therefore, I have never been able to notice power consumption issues.

One thing that @Sher mentioned was the shut down time delay.
Although startup for me been fine, I did however notice briefly a slight slowdown when it comes to shut down. I usually test and monitor system impact in general but shut down process I rarely monitor.

As I am not sure how many active users in MT use Kaspersky, this thread is for such users to come forth with their experience in KAV/KIS

I have now setup a VM to monitor KAV 2016 to test it once again in such areas.

Thanks

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
For a laptop, yes there are more performance issues in comparison to desktop.
I am using KTS 2016 MR1 on my desktop & been using it for years, never had any performance problems. I run a full scan side by side surfing & watching videos on VLC with no lags. I certainly don't have a supercomputer:D, just a i3 processor with 8gb ram.:)

I tried using KIS on my netbook (dual-core, 2gb ram), didn't pan out as much as i hoped it would. Startup & shutdown issues. System hangs during full scans. So i switched with ESET. It is a tad lighter on my netbook.

But the reality is, these issues are there with all the antiviruses. Generally, i prefer not using antiviruses at all on laptops. Default protection i.e., WD with windows firewall & smartscreen is good enough and when coupled with NVT EXE radar pro, then no need to worry.

Last edited:

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
My issues with KIS 2016 were about Trusted Applications Mode (TAM). Whenever my laptop was offline, TAM would block .dll files from the not-so-common software like Pale Moon and 7zip. There would be no problem if KIS was connected to the internet. It seems that I was the only one experiencing this since I haven't heard of anyone complaining about this.

I was in contact with K's support, but it was never fruitful. They would ask me files/logs, to which I gave. But I was not sure if they really processed them because they would ask me new logs. I think I gave them logs 3 or 4 times (they asked these logs again and again) before I gave up. They could not even point out whether the problem was some incompatibility with other security software or a problem of Kaspersky.

SherKaan

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2014
My issues with KIS 2016 were about Trusted Applications Mode (TAM). Whenever my laptop was offline, TAM would block .dll files from the not-so-common software like Pale Moon and 7zip. There would be no problem if KIS was connected to the internet. It seems that I was the only one experiencing this since I haven't heard of anyone complaining about this.

I was in contact with K's support, but it was never fruitful. They would ask me files/logs, to which I gave. But I was not sure if they really processed them because they would ask me new logs. I think I gave them logs 3 or 4 times (they asked these logs again and again) before I gave up. They could not even point out whether the problem was some incompatibility with other security software or a problem of Kaspersky.

I once enabled TAM and it was a horrific experience for me. So much legitimate stuff got blocked at times. It was a complete mess. Even, the programs flagged as trusted would at some point of time get blocked by the application. I would never recommend turning it on. If one is sensible enough on his own, there's absolutely no chance of an infection. It's all in one's hands.

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
I agree with @Sher & @XhenEd , TAM is only good if you have KSN connected all the time & working perfectly. Which in reality is not the case. I have tested TAM so i know how annoying it can be, having to unblock over & over again trusted programs dll's & exe's.

But in a little defense, TAM is supposed to act that way. It is default deny of-course. And i never recommend to enable TAM & even Kaspersky know this, as it is disabled by default.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I have in my main system of daily working TAM always enabled and in general no issues at all, of course I usually am connected to InterNet, but I tried to reproduce issues offline that @XhenEd are talking about, but I couldn't...

And Yes, even with Internet and online sometimes some unknown or newest applications could be blocked in 1st run, but just allowing once is enough here to forget them.

It is said that TAM is designed for high risky environments, that's why is disabled by default, I would add also that for advanced users...

For a while in MalWare Hub section some users have been testing dynamically (on execution) KIS2016 + TAM on, and the effectiveness blocking unknown samples execution was always 100%... I test KIS2016 with TAM off, because this way We can see System Watcher and Behavior Blocker in action.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

Excluding MR1 restart issues,
@hjlbx and @Sher brought up some interesting topics about KIS 2016 in particular, where its scans etc use quite a bit of power.

I am a user of KAV 2016 only for a little over a week and I use it in a laptop, but such laptop is plugged into AC, not using battery. Therefore, I have never been able to notice power consumption issues.

One thing that @Sher mentioned was the shut down time delay.
Although startup for me been fine, I did however notice briefly a slight slowdown when it comes to shut down. I usually test and monitor system impact in general but shut down process I rarely monitor.

As I am not sure how many active users in MT use Kaspersky, this thread is for such users to come forth with their experience in KAV/KIS

I have now setup a VM to monitor KAV 2016 to test it once again in such areas.

Thanks

Put laptop on battery power and you will see...

Reactions: shukla44

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Put laptop on battery power and you will see...
I did for last few hours.
trying to figure it out where it was more power hungry since no active scan was on, aside from web modules

Needless to say, it has been removed from the system since I only use Laptops.

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

I did for last few hours.
trying to figure it out where it was more power hungry since no active scan was on, aside from web modules

Needless to say, it has been removed from the system since I only use Laptops.

This is why I tolerate Webroot. Webroot protections to resource consumption ratio is MASSIVE. I combo Webroot and AppGuard and Adguard on primary (heavy-use) laptop.

Oh... I can add HMP.A, WFC, SBIE, NVT ERP - and they are all great and consume very little resources - but since I am not doing anything super high-risk other than occasional virtualized testing of this malware or that malware - the WSA-AG-Ag config is sufficient.

I have no need of anti-NSA setup. I am not Enemy of the State.

I have luxury of multiple systems so I can screw-around and make myself miserable... :oops:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
I am staring at the same settings I had on my laptop and i noticed Rootkit scan was enabled as well as the option on scans when in battery mode is ticked off.

Most likely somehow a scan or so was running when I wasnt paying attention.

will require some further testing

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Is anyone currently on 614 version patch e? I was still on patch d before and new install still shows patch d. Checking forums, theres people already in patch f.

any ideas?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Settings -> Performance is a must to tweak/check if You have Kaspersky in a laptop...

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Is anyone currently on 614 version patch e? I was still on patch d before and new install still shows patch d. Checking forums, theres people already in patch f.

any ideas?
Did You reboot the system?.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Settings -> Performance is a must to tweak/check if You have Kaspersky in a laptop...

Yeah, done that now but this second system battery life aint the best either, so lets see what happens

Did You reboot the system?.

Yeah did reboot before and now again. yesterday the K had the alert to reboot. I did but just before I uninstalled around an hour ago, I was still with d patch.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Check whether in Kaspersky install folder there is a file similar to this: kis2016patchf.msp, I'm not sure of the name because I'm in KTS2016MR1 16.0.1.445b, so I have kis2016mp1b.msp

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Check whether in Kaspersky install folder there is a file similar to this: kis2016patchf.msp, I'm not sure of the name because I'm in KTS2016MR1 16.0.1.445b, so I have kis2016mp1b.msp
checked, no no such file. also am using KAV so I checked again to see if there was a patche or patchf, nothing.

Going to try to re-download

LahiruRajinda

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
My biggest issue with KIS 2016 is the Kaspersky Firewall. I set it on alert mode for all trust levels. And disabled automatic actions from program settings. Wasn't quite what I expected. KIS blocked my Internet access and kept displaying hundreds of alerts. Even though I set rules for system processes, it kept ignoring them and bugging me every time I wanted to access the internet. When I set it to automatic actions, it allowed all the apps including the ones in alert mode. This part is crucial to me as I want to use the app white list method as in Windows Firewall Control. Spent hours trying to do it but ended up uninstalling KIS. Now I use KAV 2016 along with WFC and it feels solid and easy to configure.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
A quick update on battery issues and shut down

Shutdown impact on my gaming system average is around 5secs more than wd . So that's negligible for me.

Day to day tasks and heavy gaming (Diablo 3 plus eve online or two eve online clients) are same impact as with wd. Again for me that's good news.

Battery life I ve been monitoring. Without rootkit scan and have performance tick enabled I notice batter going near same rate as I have with wd. If I'm running games it goes quicker but I do not game with battery plugged in.

That being said Kaspersky will be reloaded to my system. My only test left to do is firewall of kis versus day to day operation and running the games plus patching new updates. For eve updates process is easy to recreate I I don't feel like testing for few days. For Diablo however will require me loading up an older backup from last update to test.

Thank you all for your comments

XhenEd

Level 28
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 1, 2014
@harlan4096 or other Kaspersky users of MR1
Can you confirm that the "reboot after some signature update" is fixed?
I just found a thread in Kaspersky forum where some users say that they haven't got the need for reboot now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.