Advice Request Kaspersky and Chrome!

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Found this on the Kaspersky support forum about the incompatibility issue with Chrome:
Google Chrome wants KTS removed from PC
[QUOTE]Known issue. Colleagues contacted Google to deal with it. [/QUOTE]

FWIW,I'm using Kaspersky without issue in Chrome,even though I ignored the incompatibility warning.
How are others dealing with this?

Venustus

Level 59
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
Webfiltering is the first thing I disable, considering that it lowers browser's security and even makes it more vulnerable to various attacks like MITM.
Agreed!
However, KTS "safe money" won't work with "scan encrypted connections" disabled.Nevertheless I just re-enable that setting when doing online banking.

F

ForgottenSeer 72227

How are others dealing with this?
It's interesting for sure. As I mentioned in the other thread I do see both sides regarding this topic. Security softs need some hooks to provide protection, Google, hooks cause problems and instability. From reading some of the articles, one of the big issues I see is that apparently Chrome can't actually tell which program caused the crash, instead it looks for some reg keys and if it sees any of those specific keys it will just flag it as the offending program, even if it wasn't what caused the crash.

I think everyone will be divided into two groups when it comes to dealing with this:
Group A will follow Google's recommendation and remove their security product.
Group B will ditch Chrome, keep their security program(s) and switch to another browser. Especially if they paid for it, as Chrome is free.

Is there a right way or a wrong way to deal with this? I don't know, I think it may come down to whether you want to keep Chrome or your security software? Hopefully Google and the security companies just work together to make this work for everyone, which would just make it a moot point.

Google has been subtly mounting an anti anti-virus campaign for years now. I'm convinced they want total say over all software legitimacy.

I too have noticed this. Google for a while now has slowly, but surely been campaigning against 3rd party AV/AM and getting people to use the built in products within Windows as it causes less issues. They aren't entirely wrong, Windows Defender has come a long ways and they (so far anyways) keep improving it with every major release, it's built in and uses the proper mechanisms without causes too many issues. Is it perfect? No, but it does a fairly decent job. I think if it wasn't for the performance hit that some people notice on their systems, it would be adopted even more so.

Last edited by a moderator:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
You can change Kaspersky settings so it won't inject into secure connections. That is the thing that Google doesn't like, and for good reason. Sometimes the injection of the 3rd party certificate hurts more than it helps. I don't know if you can change that setting in KFA.

L

Local Host

You can change Kaspersky settings so it won't inject into secure connections. That is the thing that Google doesn't like, and for good reason. Sometimes the injection of the 3rd party certificate hurts more than it helps. I don't know if you can change that setting in KFA.
You can.

Reactions: Venustus

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
@Windows Defender Shill & @Raiden -

Google - humongous and wants to rule the world, e.g. see Mr. Robot (USA Network)

Microsoft - really big, stubborn and stupid. Their native security, not just WD, works pretty well as a whole and would likely be better but for the stubbornness.

Edge is the little, new kid on the block and its functionality and security are just fine with me. Unless you prefer Google, then I'm with @TairikuOkami & @shmu26

In the end, it may be preferable to have two lumbering giants who continue to battle it out with each other then have only one bullying the world into conformist submission!

Viva la revolucion! :LOL:(y)

L

Local Host

@Windows Defender Shill & @Raiden -

Google - humongous and wants to rule the world, e.g. see Mr. Robot (USA Network)

Microsoft - really big, stubborn and stupid. Their native security, not just WD, works pretty well as a whole and would likely be better but for the stubbornness.

Edge is the little, new kid on the block and its functionality and security are just fine with me. Unless you prefer Google, then I'm with @TairikuOkami & @shmu26

In the end, it may be preferable to have two lumbering giants who continue to battle it out with each other then have only one bullying the world into conformist submission!

Viva la revolucion! :LOL:(y)
I never trusted Google quite honestly, everyone seems to ignore all their services are free and they need to pay the bills somehow, and if people are naive enough to believe they pay the bills with ads (when the majorly of the user base uses ad-blockers) then there's nothing I can say.
Google been amassing information for years now, everyone is to busy whining about Microsoft and W10 to notice that Google has been doing way worse for years.
Microsoft doesn't need your information to make money (unlike Google), they get their money from the enterprise.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I never trusted Google quite honestly, everyone seems to ignore all their services are free and they need to pay the bills somehow, and if people are naive enough to believe they pay the bills with ads (when the majorly of the user base uses ad-blockers) then there's nothing I can say.
Google been amassing information for years now, everyone is to busy whining about Microsoft and W10 to notice that Google has been doing way worse for years.
Microsoft doesn't need your information to make money (unlike Google), they get their money from the enterprise.

+ 1 on that!

Reactions: Cortex and Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.