Advice Request Kaspersky and Cloud Privacy

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

bayasdev

Level 19
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 10, 2015
Kaspersky is programmed to automatically upload every unknown executable file to their server, is up to them what they do with the retrieved data, and since Kaspersky is a russian company, they'll try to expose foreign intelligence agencies, while maybe covering KGB sponsored malware but that's my two cents.

Devilboss94

Level 1
Apr 16, 2020
Kaspersky is programmed to automatically upload every unknown executable file to their server, is up to them what they do with the retrieved data, and since Kaspersky is a russian company, they'll try to expose foreign intelligence agencies, while maybe covering KGB sponsored malware but that's my two cents.
But do you have evidence on this?
It suits me that the Russians are not welcome but to accuse a company without founded evidence I see it useless ...

Durden

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Dec 21, 2013
It's just a hunch, a feeling in my gut that tells me ESET is one of the more aggressive vendors regarding privacy and the data they collect.
Not backed up by anything, just a feeling I always had. Maybe time will tell us... Maybe not.

fabiobr

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 28, 2019
If I can avoid to have my sensitive files scanned/stored by Kaspersky, why not?

I fully trust Kaspersky on everything they do. They can even have my house key :D
That's not my point.

If you think that Kaspersky would steal your data beyond malware analysis, why use it? It's like using a "criminal software" trying to defeat other criminals, it doesn't make sense.

I would choose what makes me feel fully comfortable then.

By trust a company I mean: Trusting they only do things to combat malware and protect YOU (consumer of their products), that they won't access your data to steal it. Trust is essential for AV software.

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
That's not my point.

If you think that Kaspersky would steal your data beyond malware analysis, why use it? It's like using a "criminal software" trying to defeat other criminals, it doesn't make sense.

By trust a company I mean: Trusting they only do things to combat malware and protect YOU (consumer of their products), that they won't access your data to steal it. Trust is essential for AV software.
Well, I think it is more a matter of personal opinion.
I trust Kaspersky the most and that's why I use it, but if I can choose not to provide my personal data that's what I will do. And well, I would myself contribute, but give me option to know what you are sending to the cloud
I can understand people that give 100% control, but well, I don't trust anyone 100%, then if I can choose not to give the 100%, I will do that.
And well, for the family's PC I use the anti-spam, which is disabled by default, and that gives Kaspersky full access to your emails.
So, well I think is more a matter of what I think I can give them access to. Just an opinion of course
Cheers!
PS: I would understand Kaspersky would force free users to enable KSN, to help Kaspersky as nothing is given other way to Kaspersky

toto_10

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Feb 12, 2017
That's not my point.

I never said Kaspersky is stealing my data. So, by disabling a privacy-function equals I don't trust a company? That's not how I look at it.

If KSN was exclusively about privacy i would definitely disable it, why wouldn't I. Not necessary to collect my stats etc.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Big names from AV industry spy in a way or another it's up to you if you accepted or not. You lost the right to privacy from 2007 (I think) - see google and USA reference :)

Here is a proof of someone how take intel on a Windows XP from Russian Government:
681101-vladimir-putin-windows-xp-russia-kremlin.jpg

AYIZEB

Level 2
Verified
Oct 18, 2016
Kaspersky is for me the best antivirus, but speaking of privacy, which is private today? The mobile phone with iPhone or the one with Android? your computer with windows operating system? your social networks? unfortunately nothing in this world is private already in this technological era, now if they ask me who I prefer to have my data if a multinational or the cyber criminal at home who will sell my data to get all the money, sincerely I prefer the first, simply use the antivirus that you like, good navigation and good practices.

1588551350220.png

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
If KSN was exclusively about privacy i would definitely disable it, why wouldn't I. Not necessary to collect my stats etc.
You can disable KSN even in free version, also in European versions You have an additional setting You can disable, it follows GRPD... and during installation You are requested twice to read the conditions before enable...

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
You can disable KSN even in free version, also in European versions You have an additional setting You can disable, it follows GRPD... and during installation You are requested twice to read the conditions before enable...
Yes you are right.
But Kaspersky doesn't really explain that accepting KSN is accepting sample submission, since u still get the same protection unless u wanna check Kaspersky KSN reputation on right click.
Me myself I thought that rejecting KSN would mean losing all KSN protection. While I may congratulate Kaspersky on other aspects, the KSN thing is very very bad done, because it confuses the user.
As I said, I would even understand they to force KSN sample submission on Free version, but they should clarify that rejecting KSN just means rejecting sample submission, not disabling KSN protection, which is pretty different
As always, this is just my opinion ofc
Cheers!

Reactions: Protomartyr

Andrew3000

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 8, 2016
Yes you are right.
But Kaspersky doesn't really explain that accepting KSN is accepting sample submission, since u still get the same protection unless u wanna check Kaspersky KSN reputation on right click.
Me myself I thought that rejecting KSN would mean losing all KSN protection. While I may congratulate Kaspersky on other aspects, the KSN thing is very very bad done, because it confuses the user.
As I said, I would even understand they to force KSN sample submission on Free version, but they should clarify that rejecting KSN just means rejecting sample submission, not disabling KSN protection, which is pretty different
As always, this is just my opinion ofc
Cheers!

As you can read at the bottom here: Kaspersky Lab Privacy Policy | Kaspersky Lab
If you have more specific concerns about privacy, you can contact Kaspersky directly. I think contacting them is the best way to get clear how they use the data.
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Policy, Kaspersky Lab's privacy practices or if you would like us to update or remove information or preferences you provided to us, please visit https://www.kaspersky.com/global-privacy-policy, or you may contact our Kaspersky Lab EU representative via e-mail or phone: Kaspersky Labs GmbH, Ingolstadt, Germany, info@kaspersky.de, +49 (0) 841 98 18 90, according to point (a) of Article 13 (1) and Article 27 (1) of GDPR, or you may contact our Data Protection Officer in the EU, according to point (b) of Article 13 (1) and Article 37 (1) of GDPR, as well as for the other countries, via dpo@kaspersky.com.

miguelang611

Level 2
Apr 13, 2020
As you can read at the bottom here: Kaspersky Lab Privacy Policy | Kaspersky Lab
If you have more specific concerns about privacy, you can contact Kaspersky directly. I think contacting them is the best way to get clear how they use the data.
If you have any questions or comments about this Privacy Policy, Kaspersky Lab's privacy practices or if you would like us to update or remove information or preferences you provided to us, please visit https://www.kaspersky.com/global-privacy-policy, or you may contact our Kaspersky Lab EU representative via e-mail or phone: Kaspersky Labs GmbH, Ingolstadt, Germany, info@kaspersky.de, +49 (0) 841 98 18 90, according to point (a) of Article 13 (1) and Article 27 (1) of GDPR, or you may contact our Data Protection Officer in the EU, according to point (b) of Article 13 (1) and Article 37 (1) of GDPR, as well as for the other countries, via dpo@kaspersky.com.
Well, that's nice to have, but I trust Kaspersky, more than I do for example, Google or Microsoft.
On both M$ and G u have to do lots of things: on M$ u have to make trickery with software like O&O, WPD, ESO, firewalls, and with Google, recheck opt-out that magically renables, delete some Gapps, use adblock, use antitracking... And still, with none of them u r still private

So, well, Idk why that much polemic, if I wanna opt out KSN that's it, Im not asking Kaspersky to give me full report of their business, I am just using the option they give me. The good thing is that Kaspersky give u a real option to opt-out with a button, not as G or M$ where they r always forcing u to let them do whatever they want with u and ur privacy 🤐

Cheers!

MacDefender

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019

FWIW this wording is a ton clearer on some parts of the website, especially the GDPR versions, compared to what ships in the software here in North America.

The USA agreements say nothing about passive participation, but that language is in the GDPR version.

1588608749355.png

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.