Kaspersky Application Control - KIS 2017 bug?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2913
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 2913

Thread author
As I said before "Secure Data Input" protects against data by keyloggers in supported browsers and always if "Inject Script" is enabled.

Secure Data Input in Kaspersky Total Security 2016
So, to be clear, keystroke are encrypted without the use of Virtual Keyboard too in IE, FF & Chrome if "Inject Script" is enabled, right?

Can keystroke encryption in browsers be tested with Zemana or Spyshelter tools?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I still haven't do it, if You want, try and let us know :)
okay, so if I understand right, secure data input has two parts:
1) on-screen keyboard
2) secure keyboard input.

number 2 is keystroke encryption, and it works even if you don't use the on-screen keyboard (but only on supported browsers, and only if "inject script" is enabled).

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
okay, so if I understand right, secure data input has two parts:
1) on-screen keyboard
2) secure keyboard input.

number 2 is keystroke encryption, and it works even if you don't use the on-screen keyboard (but only on supported browsers, and only if "inject script" is enabled).

Please correct me if I am wrong.
From the Kaspersky manual:

When using the Internet, you frequently need to enter your personal data or your user name and password. This happens, for example, during account registration on websites, online shopping, and Internet banking.

There is a risk that personal data can be intercepted by hardware keyboard interceptors or keyloggers, which are programs that record keystrokes. The On-Screen Keyboard tool prevents the interception of data entered via the keyboard.

Many programs classified as spyware can take screenshots, which then are automatically transmitted to an intruder for further analysis to steal the user's personal data. On-Screen Keyboard protects entered personal data from attempts to intercept it by means of screenshots.
About On-Screen Keyboard

Protecting data entered on the computer keyboard
Protection of data input on the computer keyboard allows avoiding interception of data that is entered via the keyboard.

Secure Keyboard Input has the following limitations:

• Secure Keyboard Input is available only for the Microsoft Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, and Google Chrome browsers. When using other browsers, data entered via the computer keyboard is not protected from interception.
  • Secure Keyboard Input is not available in Microsoft Internet Explorer from Windows Store.
  • Protection of data input from the computer keyboard cannot protect your personal data if a website that requires entering such data has been hacked, because in this case information is obtained by intruders directly from the website.

Protecting data entered on the computer keyboard

Last edited:

Tony Cole

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2014
How comes the same issues pop up year after year, just like Bitdefender? As for Application Control Cruelsister showed that even untrusted is useless against zero-day malware, no boot-time protection etc., very poor.

Reactions: aragornnnn

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How comes the same issues pop up year after year, just like Bitdefender? As for Application Control Cruelsister showed that even untrusted is useless against zero-day malware, no boot-time protection etc., very poor.
if you want to get a high level of protection from Kaspersky, you need to enable Trusted Applications Mode. You are right that Application Control alone is not enough.
But if you enable TAM, you will get default/deny + very strict monitoring of dll files. Try it and see.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
I would add disabling "Trusting in Digital Signature Applications"... also We don't know much about the CS malware used to bypass Kaspersky protection in that video (probably digitally signed ?)...

Make some tweaks (changing defaults settings) in Kaspersky can improve a lot the prevention...

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I would add disabling "Trusting in Digital Signature Applications"... also We don't know much about the CS malware used to bypass Kaspersky protection in that video (probably digitally signed ?)...

Make some tweaks (changing defaults settings) in Kaspersky can improve a lot the prevention...
does it help to put heuristics at high? Or maybe it's not worth the trouble?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
It seems this year will not be MR1 for K2017, in fact K2018 public beta testing is already running (usually would be in March of 2017).

About notification/alerts in W10, the problem is that They (KL) just follow Microsoft new W10 mode, although still there are some warnings/notifications that are as always: malware detections, Application Control warnings in Interactive Mode, etc.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
It seems this year will not be MR1 for K2017, in fact K2018 public beta testing is already running (usually would be in March of 2017).

About notification/alerts in W10, the problem is that They (KL) just follow Microsoft new W10 mode, although still there are some warnings/notifications that are as always: malware detections, Application Control warnings in Interactive Mode, etc.
Thanks!!:)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I am giving TAM another try, this time with interactive mode, to prevent KSN from deleting my rules. It works. I have a spotty KSN connection, so every time it succeeded in connecting, it set many things back to default, which was very frustrating. But no more!

With interactive, there are a lot of prompts at the beginning, but if you move your known and trusted programs to trusted category, it quiets down pretty quick.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
That is how I always work in my systems with KIS/KTS (Interactive Mode + TAM + some tweaks in Application Control).

I think the issue You had with rules in Auto Mode was reported by some others users in KL forum, and not sure whether somebody said that it was by design (I have to find the thread there and check again), but in Interactive Mode You have the control.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
That is how I always work in my systems with KIS/KTS (Interactive Mode + TAM + some tweaks in Application Control).

I think the issue You had with rules in Auto Mode was reported by some others users in KL forum, and not sure whether somebody said that it was by design (I have to find the thread there and check again), but in Interactive Mode You have the control.
Are they personal tweaks or tweaks that most users may benefit from?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.