Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
It's not so much about the cost of something but rather more about how one configures it and their knowledge of potential attacks, threat surfaces, etc. You can throw 100K at a network and still be wide open to a variety of attacks and intrusions. No offense but if you knew anything about network security you'd already know that - and you would already know there isn't any functional UTM difference between a 200K Fortigate and a $500 Fortigate, it's all configuration. A 200K datacenter Fortigate difference is simply throughput and processing power over the smaller cousins but both have IDENTICAL protection systems...

I'd be very surprised if more than a handful of homes in this country have an active sandbox appliance in place. I'd be even more surprised if ANY homes had a secondary security appliance in transparent mode, and I have only seen one corporate network with a transparent behind a primary and that was a defense contractor. I also utilize the Fortinet Security Fabric (FSF) which is quite new - a few months old and is specifically designed to intercept advanced persistent threats.

Can I still be hacked? Nobody in IT will ever make a 100% guarantee about anything, including me. But the difficulty of breaching and compromising my systems would largely exclude anything but a well financed state actor with a high degree of persistence. A state actor would most likely just compromise one of the network hubs I connect to and be done with it... For anyone else (Hackers, hacker groups, contractors, foreign state actors, etc) Persistence is the key here, if they want in they will keep working at it, patiently, and watch for mistakes, exploits or vulnerable programs/systems and exploit those to attack me. Having multiple layers requires multiple compromised systems, making such a thing much more difficult. Active monitoring (SIEM) makes it even more difficult because everything is monitored and activity is discoverable via a single pane of glass giving them even less time to perform activities.

In another thread I explained in detail how to lock down a cheap commercial router. You don't need superhuman gear or knowledge to have a good solid WAN from all but the most persistent thug. I'm an enthusiast, and do this for a living so that's my reasoning. :) (aside from the fact I've been regularly targeted in the past)
The 1st paragraph spoke of yourself with the 1st security setup.

Do I have a sandbox installed. Yes, I do and is it active? Nope.

You have being targeted is because you are outstanding and not because you are just a normal home user. That's for sure. If you do not go around and reveal your set up I believe you would be much much safer.

Like I mentioned it's not just a hardened layered security system but the RIGHT hardened layered-security system that counts.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

The 1st paragraph spoke of yourself with the 1st security setup.

Do I have a sandbox installed. Yes, I do and is it active? Nope.

You have being targeted is because you are outstanding and not because you are just a normal home user. That's for sure. If you do not go around and reveal your set up I believe you would be much much safer.

Like I mentioned it's not just a hardened layered security system but the RIGHT hardened layered-security system that counts.

I certainly didn't reveal my entire setup, there's some goodies I purposely left out. Nevertheless, I never surf without making sure I have at least some anonymity for sure. But that's for another topic of discussion.

Let's get back on topic.. Kaspersky Free is pretty darn good IMO.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I certainly didn't reveal my entire setup, there's some goodies I purposely left out. Nevertheless, I never surf without making sure I have at least some anonymity for sure. But that's for another topic of discussion.

Let's get back on topic.. Kaspersky Free is pretty darn good IMO.
Yes, stay on track.

KAV free is great like many users said but it's not working on my system. It's lethargic and always fail one of the AMTCO's tests despite complete pass by users. So out it goes on my system.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
I used it for about a week but i've already dumped it (still need to change my pic)
It's a great little AV no doubt packing the kaspersky sig/heur/cloud power but it was just really sluggish on my system
The system wasn't sluggish with kaspersky on it, the actual AV was...
Plus I didn't really like how some of the features worked.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017

Leo summed up my thoughts on it: An upgrade for those using Windows Defender but there are other free 3rd-party AVs out there that offer superior protection.
Also the pop-up asking you to register every time the system is started is obnoxious.

Reactions: FrFc1908
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Why do people listen to these Youtube guys?

Bottom line: The guy says - 'Oh, Kaspersky found every threat and blocked! What a really good job this machine would be infected by now if not for this..', then the guy says 'I don't really see a use for it, there are better solutions'..

That's either a charlatan or shill. Take your pick.

PS: Register it, and remove the popup? It's free anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Leo summed up my thoughts on it: An upgrade for those using Windows Defender but there are other free 3rd-party AVs out there that offer superior protection.

You need to test products by yourself because you can't trust other people opinions ;)
I would like to know which are other free AVs that offer superior protection ?

Reactions: tim one and frogboy

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
You need to test products by yourself because you can't trust other people opinions ;)
I would like to know which are other free AVs that offer superior protection ?
Ones with some form of dynamic detection methods: Behavioural blocking, HIPS, sandboxing, etc.
Signatures and heuristics might be fine if you practice safe browsing habits but even the most cautious of users make mistakes.

PS: Register it, and remove the popup? It's free anyway.
The issue is no one should have to register to remove the popup. There should be a "Don't ask again" option.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Ones with some form of dynamic detection methods: Behavioural blocking, HIPS, sandboxing, etc.
Signatures and heuristics might be fine if you practice safe browsing habits but even the most cautious of users make mistakes.

Well, I meant which free AVs offers superior protection, for example...

These days all people asking for very good behavior blockers but the most of free AVs does not offer this kind of protection which are working always perfectly.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
These days all people asking for very good behavior blockers but the most of free AVs does not offer this kind of protection which are working always perfectly.
True, they're nowhere near perfect and there are plenty of examples of malware walking right past signatures/heuristics and sitting on the system doing its thing even with a behaviour blocker running in the background, but without that post-infection defence there's no safety net at all.

Here's my problem: If Kaspersky Free doesn't detect malware via signatures or heuristics then you're going to have malware sat on your system harvesting your bank details or encrypting your files until a signature is created for said malware. Zero chance of it being detected until then. At least with a behaviour blocker or HIPS there's a chance - no matter how small - for it to be detected.

Pat MacKnife

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 14, 2015
Ok maybe no BB in KFA but there are second opinion scanners that might detect these other malware that sit on a system....
Many people are now choosing Windows Defender , works almost in the same way Like Kaspersky free but only with better Detection/*Protection ratio for KFA.

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Is anyone else facing problem in installing KFA? I tried it on two laptops (one AMD & other Intel), both failed after setup downloads required files (about 158 MB) and shows error "files corrupted" (or something like this, I don't remember the exact error). I tried several times with same error. No issues in internet at all. In the end I just gave up after trying everything I could think of like reboot, deleting existing files (from program data, temp, etc folders), rebooting, downloading setup file again.
Edit: Both systems had no other security software installed apart from EEK portable scanner and Zemana portable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.