Update Kaspersky Free 2018 Final

Discussion in 'Kaspersky' started by Petrovic, Jul 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mekelek

mekelek Level 21

Feb 24, 2017
    Hungary
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    people should stop worrying about FPs unless you trust that file like you trust your mom.

2. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Sure but you are now having 2 conflicting situations. One YES(delete/quarantine) and one NO(no action) or one YES(delete) and the other also YES(quarantine), then how?

One software is reporting a FP?

3. mekelek

mekelek Level 21

Feb 24, 2017
    Hungary
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    no, one software doesn't have a signature on said malware yet.

4. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Or that second software do NOT have a chance to act on the malware because it(malware) was already being acted upon by the first software.

If this is the case then the second software is not responsive and redundant, no?

5. mekelek

mekelek Level 21

Feb 24, 2017
    Hungary
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    yes but you will expect redundancy when you decide to run 2 AVs.

rockstarrocks and HarborFront like this.
  6. motox781

motox781 Level 5

Apr 1, 2015
    USA
    Windows 10
    Kaspersky
    Two AVs = Paranoia.

permar4, Slyguy and rockstarrocks like this.
  7. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    Correct.

8. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #268 Slyguy, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Two AV's is ridiculous. Period.

I worked on a PC recently that had 7 security products on it, all of them fully redundant. Of course after all of that trash was removed the PC felt better than new. I can see being worried, but one can take it too far.

TerrakionSmash, roger_m and ZeroDay like this.
  9. budda

budda Level 2

Feb 13, 2013
    See that's your opinion. If you use two cloud avs then i do not think there wont be any issues except when two avs detect a file as virus or Trojan you must only choose 1 to quarantine or delete it.

10. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    It's an opinion based on being an MSP for 32K+ endpoints, it's rarely a good idea to have two AV's. If you really want two engines, then use a layered approach. Put one engine on the gateway/wan and another engine on the endpoints. Or use a multi-engine product like Emsisoft, 360, Trustport, Gdata, etc.

11. RejZoR

RejZoR Level 7

Nov 26, 2016
    Security Software Guru
    Europe/Slovenia
    Windows 10
    Avast
    I think I'm gonna stay with Kaspersky Free. I like avast! more protection wise, but I really dislike the direction they are heading with usability and interface. It's just weeeeeird. Where Kaspersky is just logical, nicely organized, everything just makes sense.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR Level 7

Nov 26, 2016
    Security Software Guru
    Europe/Slovenia
    Windows 10
    Avast
    Just installed Kaspersky Free on my HP X2 hybrid tablet/laptop and the thing has utterly GARBAGE support for touch devices. Touch simply doesn't work. You have to try really hard to do something with it and it'll just open or change everything else but the thing under your finger. Kaspersky, fix this nonsense!

Syafiq likes this.
  13. N31R

N31R Level 1

Jul 25, 2016
    Europe
    This should be fixed in the upcoming patch C, currently undergoing public testing.

Pat MacKnife, harlan4096 and roger_m like this.
  14. Arequire

Arequire Level 18

Feb 10, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Windows 7
    Default-Deny
    Agreed. Since Avast rolled out their new UI it's felt like a chore to use. It takes a figurative aeon from clicking the tray icon to the UI actually appearing, and once it does appear the whole thing feels sluggish and awkward to navigate.

15. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #275 Slyguy, Aug 6, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2017
    I'm staying with it and have it installed on all 10 of my laptops/desktops and 1 server. It's perfect so far, absolutely no issues. I also like it because it enhances the layered approach I use. Since on my WAN I have Fortinet, behind that in transparent I have Bit Defender/ClamAV combo on an Untangle UTM. This offers a 4th, unique antivirus engine to my layered defense. If I was to use a Bit Defender or Forticlient Engine product it wouldn't provide any enhanced layering due to the Untangle.

I've started the process of converting my relatives to KAF. I just removed Avira and Avast on a few machines over the weekend and dropped KAF on them. Everyone says the machines feel snappier. I think this is going to destroy the free market penetration from the big free players to be honest. It's just a better product overall IMO.

TerrakionSmash likes this.
  16. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    After that incident you reported many of the users here are aware that you have a $5000 hardened layered-security system with hardware.

You can use many layers of security software(with hardware) but just make sure you have the RIGHT layered-security system instead of just a layered-security system, ok?

17. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #277 Slyguy, Aug 6, 2017
    I think I have most of it covered fine.

18. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    #278 HarborFront, Aug 6, 2017
    If state actors want to hack your $5000 system can you block them even with your new setup? Compare your home system to Bill Gates home system who is more difficult to hack? You think Bill Gates home security system costs only $5000?

19. Slyguy

Slyguy Level 21

Jan 27, 2017
    Fortinet Engineer
    USA
    Other OS
    #279 Slyguy, Aug 6, 2017
    It's not so much about the cost of something but rather more about how one configures it and their knowledge of potential attacks, threat surfaces, etc. You can throw 100K at a network and still be wide open to a variety of attacks and intrusions.

In another thread I explained in detail how to lock down a cheap commercial router. You don't need superhuman gear or knowledge to have a good solid WAN from all but the most persistent thug. I'm an enthusiast, and do this for a living so that's my reasoning. :) (aside from the fact I've been regularly targeted in the past)

russ0408 and Fritz like this.
  20. HarborFront

HarborFront Level 33
    Content Creator

Oct 9, 2016
    Far East
    The 1st paragraph spoke of yourself with the 1st security setup.

Do I have a sandbox installed. Yes, I do and is it active? Nope.

You have being targeted is because you are outstanding and not because you are just a normal home user. That's for sure. If you do not go around and reveal your set up I believe you would be much much safer.

Like I mentioned it's not just a hardened layered security system but the RIGHT hardened layered-security system that counts.