Status
Not open for further replies.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
if both AV have exceptions handled for deleting files that don't exist, then it won't be an issue. one locks up the pc, quarantines, then the other wants to quaratine a non-existent file.
Then you'll say it's a FP for the second software, no? The issue here is which software takes action first and then leaving the second software to report the untruth.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Then you'll say it's a FP for the second software, no? The issue here is which software takes action first and then leaving the second software to report the untruth.
people should stop worrying about FPs unless you trust that file like you trust your mom.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
people should stop worrying about FPs unless you trust that file like you trust your mom.
Sure but you are now having 2 conflicting situations. One YES(delete/quarantine) and one NO(no action) or one YES(delete) and the other also YES(quarantine), then how?

One software is reporting a FP?

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Sure but you are now having 2 conflicting situations. One YES(delete/quarantine) and one NO(no action) or one YES(delete) and the other also YES(quarantine), then how?

One software is reporting a FP?
no, one software doesn't have a signature on said malware yet.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
no, one software doesn't have a signature on said malware yet.
Or that second software do NOT have a chance to act on the malware because it(malware) was already being acted upon by the first software.

If this is the case then the second software is not responsive and redundant, no?

budda

Level 2
Verified
Feb 13, 2013
Two AV's is ridiculous. Period.

I worked on a PC recently that had 7 security products on it, all of them fully redundant. Of course after all of that trash was removed the PC felt better than new. I can see being worried, but one can take it too far.

See that's your opinion. If you use two cloud avs then i do not think there wont be any issues except when two avs detect a file as virus or Trojan you must only choose 1 to quarantine or delete it.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

See that's your opinion. If you use two cloud avs then i do not think there wont be any issues except when two avs detect a file as virus or Trojan you must only choose 1 to quarantine or delete it.

It's an opinion based on being an MSP for 32K+ endpoints, it's rarely a good idea to have two AV's. If you really want two engines, then use a layered approach. Put one engine on the gateway/wan and another engine on the endpoints. Or use a multi-engine product like Emsisoft, 360, Trustport, Gdata, etc.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
I think I'm gonna stay with Kaspersky Free. I like avast! more protection wise, but I really dislike the direction they are heading with usability and interface. It's just weeeeeird. Where Kaspersky is just logical, nicely organized, everything just makes sense.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Just installed Kaspersky Free on my HP X2 hybrid tablet/laptop and the thing has utterly GARBAGE support for touch devices. Touch simply doesn't work. You have to try really hard to do something with it and it'll just open or change everything else but the thing under your finger. Kaspersky, fix this nonsense!

Reactions: Syafiq

N31R

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2016
Just installed Kaspersky Free on my HP X2 hybrid tablet/laptop and the thing has utterly GARBAGE support for touch devices. Touch simply doesn't work. You have to try really hard to do something with it and it'll just open or change everything else but the thing under your finger. Kaspersky, fix this nonsense!
This should be fixed in the upcoming patch C, currently undergoing public testing.

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
I think I'm gonna stay with Kaspersky Free. I like avast! more protection wise, but I really dislike the direction they are heading with usability and interface. It's just weeeeeird. Where Kaspersky is just logical, nicely organized, everything just makes sense.
Agreed. Since Avast rolled out their new UI it's felt like a chore to use. It takes a figurative aeon from clicking the tray icon to the UI actually appearing, and once it does appear the whole thing feels sluggish and awkward to navigate.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I'm staying with it and have it installed on all 10 of my laptops/desktops and 1 server. It's perfect so far, absolutely no issues. I also like it because it enhances the layered approach I use. Since on my WAN I have Fortinet, behind that in transparent I have Bit Defender/ClamAV combo on an Untangle UTM. This offers a 4th, unique antivirus engine to my layered defense. If I was to use a Bit Defender or Forticlient Engine product it wouldn't provide any enhanced layering due to the Untangle.

I've started the process of converting my relatives to KAF. I just removed Avira and Avast on a few machines over the weekend and dropped KAF on them. Everyone says the machines feel snappier. I think this is going to destroy the free market penetration from the big free players to be honest. It's just a better product overall IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Handsome Recluse

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I'm staying with it and have it installed on all 10 of my laptops/desktops and 1 server. It's perfect so far, absolutely no issues. I also like it because it enhances the layered approach I use. Since on my WAN I have Fortinet, behind that in transparent I have Bit Defender/ClamAV combo on an Untangle UTM. This offers a 4th, unique antivirus engine to my layered defense. If I was to use a Bit Defender or Forticlient Engine product it wouldn't provide any enhanced layering due to the Untangle.

I've started the process of converting my relatives to KAF. I just removed Avira and Avast on a few machines over the weekend and dropped KAF on them. Everyone says the machines feel snappier. I think this is going to destroy the free market penetration from the big free players to be honest. It's just a better product overall IMO.
After that incident you reported many of the users here are aware that you have a $5000 hardened layered-security system with hardware.

You can use many layers of security software(with hardware) but just make sure you have the RIGHT layered-security system instead of just a layered-security system, ok?

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

After that incident you reported many of the users here are aware that you have a $5000 hardened layered-security system with hardware.

You can use many layers of security software(with hardware) but just make sure you have the RIGHT layered-security system instead of just a layered-security system, ok?

I think I have most of it covered fine.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Of course, but keep in mind - it was possibly a state actor, advanced hacker, or private contractor that penetrated by security before. So we're probably not dealing with Aunt Sue clicking on an advert.. Nevertheless, I've made sufficient changes that should offer the protection from those and every other source of compromise. My current network and systems have layered protection that surpasses the defense contractors and secured facilities the company I work for handles. I got lazy before, and figured a basic plug and play corporate configuration on the WAN and Endpoints was sufficient. I've taken it to a whole new level.

Here's what I have in place;

1) Fortigate E Series w/Full UTM/NGFW Layer 7 including Deep SSL inspection, DNS validation, WAF, Proxy Scanning, Web Filtration, Antivirus (extreme database), Intrusion protection system (extreme database), Application Control, Anomaly Detection, etc. (DNS pointed to secured DNS w/53 inspection) Also I am running a VPN server on this (FortiVPN)
2) FortiAP's wireless controlled (WLC) by Fortigate. Extra AP in dedicated monitoring/bulldog mode with Wireless Intrusion Detection(WIDS), RogueAP detection, Suppression. (this baby detects any attempt to hijack any devices, add a rogue AP, Pineapple, etc and executes a local DDOS suppressing the object)
3) FortiSandbox (VM), full APT, ATP, Zero Day Detection, sandbox evaluation of unknown objects.
4) Untangle Layer 7 UTM/NGFW in Transparent Mode (BROUTER). Web Filtration, Dual AV (Bit+Clam), AppControl, SNORT IPS w/LAN rules.
5) FortiSwitch - L3 switches w/vLANs. Isolated subnets with tagging. LAN is parsed into 4 distinct, isolated subnets with policy based access.
6) SIEM Network Security Evaluation System.

MANY other things are in place that follow best practice for security. Such as eliminated/reduced WAN access to admin of any device, unique ports for admin (SSL), timed access w/MAC restriction. WAN/LAN access is automatically disabled for all Windows devices from 1AM-8AM. Laptops have a program on them that disables the Wireless Adapters if the laptop isn't in use or shuts down/sleeps. (see broadcom vulnerability). Some other big surprises I can't disclose here.

Endpoints have Heimdal Pro, Kaspersky Free, Voodooshield(paid) and RollbackRX. Mobile devices are using V3 Antivirus and FortiVPN's pointing back to my local network for high security on the move.
If state actors want to hack your $5000 system can you block them even with your new setup? Compare your home system to Bill Gates home system who is more difficult to hack? You think Bill Gates home security system costs only $5000?

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

If state actors want to hack your $5000 system can you block them even with your new setup? Compare your home system to Bill Gates home system who is more difficult to hack? You think Bill Gates home security system costs only $5000?

It's not so much about the cost of something but rather more about how one configures it and their knowledge of potential attacks, threat surfaces, etc. You can throw 100K at a network and still be wide open to a variety of attacks and intrusions.

In another thread I explained in detail how to lock down a cheap commercial router. You don't need superhuman gear or knowledge to have a good solid WAN from all but the most persistent thug. I'm an enthusiast, and do this for a living so that's my reasoning. :) (aside from the fact I've been regularly targeted in the past)

Reactions: russ0408 and Fritz
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.