Battle Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 vs Comodo Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
Hello MalwareTips!
I just got hold of a Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 key and wonder:
How does it compare to Comodo Internet Security?

I am normally using Comodo since I simply love it, but with a KIS 2014 key I am thinking of re-installing my Main computer.

So what are your opinions? (I am Using Windows 8.1)
Is it good?, How is the lack of advanced settings working out for Kaspersky? (heard that they apparently simplified the application and removed the advanced options, is this true?)

My main computer currently is:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Comodo Internet Security
Comodo Dragon with Adblock Plus & Ghostery

What I was thinking of installing with kaspersky.
Windows 8.1 Pro
KIS 2014
Firefox with Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Noscript

I am mainly using my computer for Development (C++ programming in visual studio)
and some video games, mainly League of Legends (which I remember Kaspersky started to block and destroy :D when having it on high settings, does it do that anymore?), StarCraft 2, CS:Go & Battlefield 4.

So whats your opinion?, and is KIS worth it over Comodo?

For those interested here is my main comp spec:
.Asrock X79 Extreme 9
.16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
.I7-3930k
.2X Nvidia 660TI
.Samsung SSD 128GB, Intel 330 SSD 120GB, 2TB Western Digital Black

jogs

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 19, 2012
Comodo is better than KIS, so keep the Comodo and give me the KIS, :p. Just kidding.
From whatever I know KIS is certainly better than Comodo.

kaljukass

Level 2
May 17, 2012
Hello MalwareTips!
So what's your opinion?, and is KIS worth it over Comodo?
The opinion is - neither of them isn't never needed to install.
And no, I do not think so, I just know. I have more than ten years practice in this respect, in the field.
All You need, is something to occasionally scan your computer, but it does not have to be either of them.
None of the anti-virus does not protect you for nothing, if you need to get a virus, then you'll get it.
Another thing is how you get rid of it, you need to have a means of treatment.
You must have only good treatments to get rid of badware or malware.
People are very often confused, which is a virus and which is just a malware.
But of course you can put what you want, the result is the same. Decide for yourself.

Reactions: Ink
I

illumination

You are comparing a free product with a paid product, but since you were given a key to KIS, i would use it. Both suites are strong and it seems to me, by looking at your system specs, the resources would not be problem for you!

@ post above mine... I would take prevention any day over treatment!

LAGOTA

Feb 3, 2014
Comodo has included an web & url filtering & antiphising component in their latest v7 beta version but the web filtering component in Comodo v7 beta products is very very pathetic & poor & is completely failing to block malicious & dangerous & phising & exploit based websites & webpages & url's , also comodo's threats & malwares & rootkits removal capability is not that good , whereas on the other hand kaspersky's web filtering is one of the best in the world that blocks every sorts of & any kinds of malicious & phising & dangerous webpages & exploit based websites & also kaspersky's threat's & malwares & rootkits disinfection & removal capability is award winning , so currently kaspersky = 100/100 & Comodo = 40/100

I

illumination

Comodo has included an web & url filtering & antiphising component in their latest v7 beta version but the web filtering component in Comodo v7 beta products is very very pathetic & poor & is completely failing to block malicious & dangerous & phising & exploit based websites & webpages & url's , also comodo's threats & malwares & rootkits removal capability is not that good , whereas on the other hand kaspersky's web filtering is one of the best in the world that blocks every sorts of & any kinds of malicious & phising & dangerous webpages & exploit based websites & also kaspersky's threat's & malwares & rootkits disinfection & removal capability is award winning , so currently kaspersky = 100/100 & Comodo = 40/100

These features in Comodo are just being introduced and are not fully integrated into the product yet, hence it being called a Beta. Do not be so quick to judge it, that being said, as i stated above, if he already has a key to KIS he might as well use it.

Reactions: koliko

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
KIS offers excellent protection.I have used it for many,many years and have never once been infected.CIS is also very good and free.
However since you have a key for KIS 2014 I would use that.Take it for a spin for a few months and see how it runs on your system and if you find you don't really like it CIS will always be there.I have not used KIS 2014 but KIS 2013 ran great on my system and the only impact I felt was a slightly longer boot time.KIS 2014 is definitely worth trying.

Reactions: Nedim

Koroke San

Level 29
Verified
Jan 22, 2014
KIS is heavy & CIS is lighter then KIS. KIS gives a lil better protection then CIS . But i still prefer CIS also good at detecting & removal malware specially it's firewall is one of the best i believe :D the one thing i like about KIS is that it is good at malware removal. once my pc infected with viruses which makes my pc slow & unstable & fool AVG 2013 can't remove any malware, then i installed KIS in my pc & successfully remove all malware with a full pc scan :D

kjdemuth

Level 9
Verified
Jan 17, 2013
That's interesting because I have a key for AIS and Bitdefender IS. I don't know if I would use either. I've actually used AIS and didn't like the lag of the web browser. That and the detection from Avast hasn't been the greatest recently. Bitdefender was kinda quirky and sluggish at times. That being said just because it's a paid product doesn't make it perfect. Trying a piece of software is probably the best thing to do. I find that even though CIS isn't great on detection, it makes up for in prevention.

Cain

Level 4
Verified
Dec 19, 2013
I am in the same position, I am going to test KIS on my main desktop to see how it performs. I am currently running CIS on 3 of my machines for a few months now, and since getting to know it a little better I am pretty happy with it. Before this, I was so happy with Avira I purchased 5 licenses sometime back and stopped using it because it had increasingly become an letdown for me.
Paid does not necessarily = Better.

Reactions: manmur

zeusc4

Level 4
Verified
Feb 2, 2013
don't waste KIS key :) use it
for me, i'll choose CIS

oh ...boy :/

Comodo newly introduced their web filtering system . they need little time to develop new system.

before you rate 40/100 for comodo.. you may need to read http://malwaretips.com/threads/25-i...-are-put-to-the-test-using-windows-8-1.22660/ .

cptredsox

Level 1
Verified
Nov 4, 2012
well .. after i tuned my system a little KIS 2014 ran really smooth and i had almost nothing to complain about .. i tried both and i think KIS 2014 is more of a "install and forget" type of suite, while CIS is very tweakable and you have many options .. i have to confess its almost a little overwhelming in some area´s if your not that kind of tweaking person .. the first time i tried KIS 2014, as i posted in my thread .. i had performanceissues .. but this was i problem of my computer at the time .. after that i was pretty impressed by the overall performance and mostly the trusted applications mode in KIS, this is a big thing and if you want an overall protection the TAM is a big plus for KIS in my eyes. iam not much of a comodo fan, but ive tried their suite and firewall a few times, lets just say i prefer others more .. but comodo is good.

@Umbra Polaris

you should really give KIS 2014 a try to kill some prejudices ;) .. its not that bad on performance anymore .. i had some "bad feelings" about KIS myself, but its trusted applications mode is a nice feature .. iam sure you would like it .. but iam also sure you wont like its lightweight configurations ;)

Reactions: Deleted member 178

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
You'll be fine with either of these products. They are both on par, neither is better than the other as regards protection.

D

Deleted member 178

@Umbra Polaris

its not that bad on performance anymore .. i had some "bad feelings" about KIS myself, but its trusted applications mode is a nice feature .. iam sure you would like it .. but iam also sure you wont like its lightweight configurations ;)

and its heavyweight first signature update that took ages

Chippel

Level 1
Verified
Jan 28, 2013
CIS offers better prefention than Kaspersky. I tried a lot of malware packs and none of them were able to infect my system running fully virtualized. Kaspersky,on the other hand, were bypassed by Trojans.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
CIS offers better prefention than Kaspersky. I tried a lot of malware packs and none of them were able to infect my system running fully virtualized. Kaspersky,on the other hand, were bypassed by Trojans.

Set Kaspersky's application control to block and you will have the same results as with CIS.

Reactions: Venustus
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.