Battle Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 vs Comodo Internet Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepiratedon

Thread author
Apr 23, 2012
Hello MalwareTips!
I just got hold of a Kaspersky Internet Security 2014 key and wonder:
How does it compare to Comodo Internet Security?

I am normally using Comodo since I simply love it, but with a KIS 2014 key I am thinking of re-installing my Main computer.

So what are your opinions? (I am Using Windows 8.1)
Is it good?, How is the lack of advanced settings working out for Kaspersky? (heard that they apparently simplified the application and removed the advanced options, is this true?)

My main computer currently is:
Windows 8.1 Pro
Comodo Internet Security
Comodo Dragon with Adblock Plus & Ghostery

What I was thinking of installing with kaspersky.
Windows 8.1 Pro
KIS 2014
Firefox with Adblock Plus, Ghostery, Noscript

I am mainly using my computer for Development (C++ programming in visual studio)
and some video games, mainly League of Legends (which I remember Kaspersky started to block and destroy :D when having it on high settings, does it do that anymore?), StarCraft 2, CS:Go & Battlefield 4.

So whats your opinion?, and is KIS worth it over Comodo?

For those interested here is my main comp spec:
.Asrock X79 Extreme 9
.16GB DDR3 1600Mhz
.I7-3930k
.2X Nvidia 660TI
.Samsung SSD 128GB, Intel 330 SSD 120GB, 2TB Western Digital Black

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
A lot of applications won't work correctly then. CIS will Sandbox the application that result in a working program.
But if they're malicious as you stated you were testing malware packs, then surely the point is to stop them running? Do they still run once you empty CIS sandbox? No. Because the point is to stop them, and that's exactly what KIS application control set to block does. If you know it's a safe application then just whitelist it. The point remains the same, set the KIS application control to blocked and it will match CIS set to fully virtualized. It's not really fair to test KIS on default settings but alter the CIS settings is it? I'm a fan of both products and I feel with the mentioned tweaks they are both as strong as each other.

LuciferSam

Level 1
Verified
Feb 19, 2014
Comodo has included an web & url filtering & antiphising component in their latest v7 beta version but the web filtering component in Comodo v7 beta products is very very pathetic & poor & is completely failing to block malicious & dangerous & phising & exploit based websites & webpages & url's , also comodo's threats & malwares & rootkits removal capability is not that good , whereas on the other hand kaspersky's web filtering is one of the best in the world that blocks every sorts of & any kinds of malicious & phising & dangerous webpages & exploit based websites & also kaspersky's threat's & malwares & rootkits disinfection & removal capability is award winning , so currently kaspersky = 100/100 & Comodo = 40/100

What part of "Comodo v7 beta" did you not understand?

By the way I prefer a program that prevents the infection, not repair. Repair the infection is very difficult, you don't have the security of the complete clean-up even if the software says "It's ok, here!"
CIS with Defense+ is a good free solution, IMHO
If you want a good product, otherwise, you should try KIS

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
What part of "Comodo v7 beta" did you not understand?

By the way I prefer a program that prevents the infection, not repair. Repair the infection is very difficult, you don't have the security of the complete clean-up even if the software says "It's ok, here!"
CIS with Defense+ is a good free solution, IMHO
If you want a good product, otherwise, you should try KIS

Lucifer Sam are you a Supernatural fan? The name just makes me wonder.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
o_O Boy o Boy OMG....
Comparing apples and eggs..

Ok no discredit to Comodo as it is a good FREE product, which offers little above average overall protection, But for me the KIS package as a whole is in a league of its own in this comparison.
It is kinda unfair to compare free CIS to premium KIS.

As mentioned before CIS will do just fine to the average user, and so is KIS but even tho CIS is working hard on their product and they do have developed some very promising tools, they are still light years away from achieving the "KIS standard".
Again as a free product CIS is not that bad, it gets the job done so mission accomplished.

AV-Test Dec 2013 As a reference.

Reactions: Ink and Lailson

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
I'm really not a believer when it comes to paid security software or paid software in general (Except highly major types of software) as being secure or having the feeling of completeness is a right and not a privilege. Kaspersky Internet Security is definitely a good choice if you can afford it (Good removal and detection rates, not so good performance unless you have a capable machine) but Comodo is even a better choice since it's free and it's lighter on the system too. Prevention is much, much better than removal since you'll never have to worry about cleaning your system as wherein removing malware, you can never be so sure that you've already cleaned it up all.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
I'm really not a believer when it comes to paid security software or paid software in general (Except highly major types of software) as being secure or having the feeling of completeness is a right and not a privilege. Kaspersky Internet Security is definitely a good choice if you can afford it (Good removal and detection rates, not so good performance unless you have a capable machine) but Comodo is even a better choice since it's free and it's lighter on the system too. Prevention is much, much better than removal since you'll never have to worry about cleaning your system as wherein removing malware, you can never be so sure that you've already cleaned it up all.

Thats what i said, for the average playing around computer CIS will do the job, with with all respect to what Comodo has achieved so far if you look in the industry CIS is not used. For example we use strictly Symantec Endpoint Protection for all our computers, and networks.
Our partners either use a Sophos or a Kaspersky solution. CIS is just not a candidate to the industry.

For playing around computers CIS is a good choice as its made for that... Also keep in mind the differences between business solutions and "home" solutions as there is a distinct difference in that, both in protection and performance.

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Comodo Internet Security is certainly a capable contender in the business security software industry once it's deployed and configured properly so no complicated popups will need to be answered on the fly. I do respect your opinion on this.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Comodo Internet Security is certainly a capable contender in the business security software industry once it's deployed and configured properly so no complicated popups will need to be answered on the fly. I do respect your opinion on this.

Sorry to disappoint you but CIS even on a technical level is just NO option to the industry besides that it was not developed with that aim.
Maybe in the future...one day...and even then securing multi billion companies is no easy task.
Not to mention insurance, contracts, partners and protocols also demand in some cases to have a preferred and proven program installed on your infrastructure.
There is way more to it then just installing a program, as working with so many computers, different networks and different configs, demands a level of customization and flexibility that you are not going to achieve like that.
So security applications are very carefully chosen.

Reactions: moonshine

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Thats what i said, for the average playing around computer CIS will do the job, with with all respect to what Comodo has achieved so far if you look in the industry CIS is not used. For example we use strictly Symantec Endpoint Protection for all our computers, and networks.
Our partners either use a Sophos or a Kaspersky solution. CIS is just not a candidate to the industry.

For playing around computers CIS is a good choice as its made for that... Also keep in mind the differences between business solutions and "home" solutions as there is a distinct difference in that, both in protection and performance.
Comodo has around 70 M users not counting Comodo Firewall users...
http://forums.comodo.com/melihs-cor...3-million-new-users-every-month-t98397.0.html
and
http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-january-2014
Sorry, you were wrong. A "non used product" in the industry has IMO less than 2/3 M of active users. When it comes to 20/30/42/50/+ M of users it's starting to be another story. Avast is unclassed with its 200 M for example. Kaspersky is also suite spread.

Nico@FMA

Level 27
Verified
May 11, 2013
Comodo has around 70 M users not counting Comodo Firewall users...
http://forums.comodo.com/melihs-cor...3-million-new-users-every-month-t98397.0.html
and
http://www.opswat.com/about/media/reports/antivirus-january-2014
Sorry, you were wrong. A "non used product" in the industry has IMO less than 2/3 M of active users. When it comes to 20/30/42/50/+ M of users it's starting to be another story. Avast is unclassed with its 200 M for example. Kaspersky is also suite spread.

Yes you are right and wrong at the same time, the opswat does not specify if the users are strictly Business users or just home users.
it only lists total users aka general market share, and in that regard Comodo might have 100m users... but you are talking home users.
Within the industrial community and other company communities and industries you will not see Comodo.
Thats excluding home users, because in a home situation Comodo is well established.

spywar

Level 11
Oct 26, 2012
Yes you are right and wrong at the same time, the opswat does not specify if the users are strictly Business users or just home users.
it only lists total users aka general market share, and in that regard Comodo might have 100m users... but you are talking home users.
Within the industrial community and other company communities and industries you will not see Comodo.
Thats excluding home users, because in a home situation Comodo is well established.
OK I got your point now, then yes you were right.

Freuderam

Level 1
Verified
Feb 15, 2014
In my humble opinion, without a doubt 100x Kaspersky. I'm a bit suspicious to talk about it, not like comodo Av, I think its bad detection, I do not see much importance in the proactive defense, using sandboxie already a good size, in the case with kaspersky or need. Kaspersky and a little heavy on startup, then gets quiet. Comodo should pay more attention in their signatures ... :D

moonshine

Level 7
Verified
Apr 19, 2011
Sorry to disappoint you but CIS even on a technical level is just NO option to the industry besides that it was not developed with that aim.
Maybe in the future...one day...and even then securing multi billion companies is no easy task.
Not to mention insurance, contracts, partners and protocols also demand in some cases to have a preferred and proven program installed on your infrastructure.
There is way more to it then just installing a program, as working with so many computers, different networks and different configs, demands a level of customization and flexibility that you are not going to achieve like that.
So security applications are very carefully chosen.

Very well said indeed. Yeah, you are right that Comodo isn't being used on a wide spread scale of companies (Haven't seen one in a business operation, yet.) because of its level of complexity and customizability. I've actually managed to install CIS on a small office (Technically an office in a local university) and they haven't had any problems with the way that I've set it up for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.