Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Everyone!

I know we've heard it all before, but with the reviews on MT's and youtube i.e., MalwareDoctor showing poor results from Kaspersky; which one would you choose, and why?

Tony :)

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Neither! Have not any of you read about the vulnerable AV engines? The Syscan 2014 Singapore conference. Bitdefender was one of the worst. None were without bugs. But Avast moved fast to offer bug bounty,and fix. Most just ignored,or scoffed. Check out the news section and find post,& read thru the slides after download and catch your jaw,so it don't hit the ground!

** news article is "14 antivirus apps that have security problems" posted by petrovic it may be page 1or 2 in news section here. MT
About halfway thru article look for link that says "slides" just after authors name Joxean Koret or Google (Syscan 360 2014,Av engines vulnerable)

Last edited:

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Kaspersky is to better than Bitdefender, Yes its Kaspersky Antivirus is just decent, but other than that like its firewal, Application control & many other things work awesome.

& if you want to use a perfect AV, my suggestion is Emsisoft IS, But its Big UI is too bad.

Reactions: chanakya

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
whoa

I tried Bitdefender 2015 ( got 9 months license free). If anybody want it, pm me :p

I really had to say I hated it. because

1. 455 MB installation size
2. 250 MB RAM usage always.
3. Websurfing felt very slow
4. Where are are control !!! very few settings
5. Hated their UI. many likes that for me it's sad.
6. When I played any video in VLC and made it full screen, the brightness changed to full. Uninstalled Bitdefender and all was good.

But protection wise it's definitely good.

Reactions: PlayerFromTheITtic

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
whoa

I tried Bitdefender 2015 ( got 9 months license free). If anybody want it, pm me :p

I really had to say I hated it. because

1. 455 MB installation size
2. 250 MB RAM usage always.
3. Websurfing felt very slow
4. Where are are control !!! very few settings
5. Hated their UI. many likes that for me it's sad.
6. When I played any video in VLC and made it full screen, the brightness changed to full. Uninstalled Bitdefender and all was good.

But protection wise it's definitely good.

There are a lot of user who hate Bitdefender including me.
Why don't you post your configuration.

Anupam

Level 21
Verified
Well-known
Jul 7, 2014
Thats your specification & Intro, I am talking about you security config.
ooh. I am sorry.

Right now I am using latest 360 TS with all 5 engines + UAC + Windows Firewall . Though it's ram usage is almost like Bitdefender ( Around 180 MB) but still my system does not seem slow.

Untitled.png

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Bitdefender for Database, Kaspersky for Proactiv Defense ;)
This says it all!

I am trying them both at the time, on different computers of approximately the same power. None of them has caused any problem to me so far.
About protection, Kaspersky may be better as a whole.
Ram consumption is lower with KIS 2015.
KIS may not have the good engine of Bitdefender, but application control & proactive defense can limit unknown files from creating autorun entries, doing damage to the system etc.
If Bitdefender 2015 is really not buggy, it may be a better solution than KIS 2015 for novice users, as KIS sometimes requires user action/approval for malicious behaviours etc while Bitdefender automatically takes actions.
BUT, if you are a happy clicker, none of them is going to protect you. You can see lots of Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Norton, Eset etc, etc users with infected PC's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rahadian Putra

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Hi Everyone!

I know we've heard it all before, but with the reviews on MT's and youtube i.e., MalwareDoctor showing poor results from Kaspersky; which one would you choose, and why?

Tony :)

Hi tony, the news section here at MalwareTips has the article that refers to "Syscan 2014" then look for link " slides" there are about 90 slides,very informative.

Reactions: Tony Cole

SoundJudgment

Jul 10, 2014
"I am very disappointed by the test results shown. They were both much better products than this in prior years. "

just curious as to what you would use, instead...and for anyone running Windows, is there an issue with "Windows Desktop Manager" constantly being closed when using Bitdefender?

At this time: Emsisoft 9 Anti-Malware... Comodo 7 FireWall... And Malwarebytes Pro. All working well together, so I call it... the TRIPLE-CRUSH! ;)

Last edited:

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
I would recommend doing a lot of research before trusting any security program,as I had Kaspersky mobile and it completely failed me when recently infected,(see my first post after becoming a member) not once but twice,or factory reset did not clear everything. I have since installed Malwarebites new mobile program,and have Avast as my primary. Largely because of other features,and not just antivirus. Now after reading thru Korets slides at Syscan 360, 2014, I definitely feel better about Avast because they were proactively offering bug bounties before conference,and acted quickly to pay for and fix the revealed vulnerabilities.($110,000+) The others fixed what they could find on their own,but can NOT be sure they fixed the ones Koret found. They are playing with others well being and safety,because of arrogance. I would look for post online about people getting malware with your favorite security companies installed. Be open minded,and try not to leave to much personal,(financial) info on your computer for now. Also look at having a designated,hardened browser just for shopping and banking. Or even a dedicated device for such things,that never ever surfs the web. Happy hunting. I do have a couple stand alone scanners as well,that's because I have android 4.1.1 and not likely to get any updates soon. 30% or more are still on this OS. And it is still vulnerable to heartbleed. Although Google out out a patch right away,manufactures are slow to follow. Check your own to make sure.

Last edited:

FleischmannTV

Level 7
Verified
Honorary Member
Well-known
Jun 12, 2014
Could you please refrain from mentioning Koret's findings in every thread on this forum? Your revelations are four months late btw, as he already presented this at a previous conference, and they are off topic.

Reactions: Game Of Thrones

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
Please show other threads ,and there are a multitude of post online as recent as two days ago. I would say that it is more than relevant,and have you actually read thru all the slides and articles,plus new posts since the conference?

oneeye

Level 4
Verified
Jul 14, 2014
So ,... No you have not followed up. You arrogantly presume that all Tenthousand members are aware of this issue,and that they would have seen your post at another site of all places? And did you investigate all venders to see what fixes they initiated, and who rejected the author? No,,no,&no I presume. So before you go telling me what to post and not to post,maybe a little thought is in order. You have posted a grand total of maybe 50 times here since becoming a member and see fit to direct others? I don't think so. Your problem is you are a Kaspersky fanboy,and did not like my comment. And your computer is likely infected too,that's why you are overheating:)
Have a nice day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.