Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony Cole

Level 27
Thread author
Verified
May 11, 2014
Hi Everyone!

I know we've heard it all before, but with the reviews on MT's and youtube i.e., MalwareDoctor showing poor results from Kaspersky; which one would you choose, and why?

Tony :)

DarkJoney

Level 2
Verified
Aug 6, 2014
whoa

I tried Bitdefender 2015 ( got 9 months license free). If anybody want it, pm me :p

I really had to say I hated it. because

1. 455 MB installation size
2. 250 MB RAM usage always.
3. Websurfing felt very slow
4. Where are are control !!! very few settings
5. Hated their UI. many likes that for me it's sad.
6. When I played any video in VLC and made it full screen, the brightness changed to full. Uninstalled Bitdefender and all was good.

But protection wise it's definitely good.
I like new UI, but I prefer Kaspersky settings and user-control. I like Bitdefender more for detection, but Kaspersky for other protection modules. I have 32GB of ram in my rig, and I don't think about RAM in use. I don't know anything about internet, but it still block few my favorite sites. I am with Bitdefender now, their giveaways are amazing, Kaspersky expensive and crack not effective for every day use... But I like them, Bit, KIS, Emsi and Qihoo are my favorite now.

Reactions: omidomi

RedBehrend

Aug 28, 2014
I signed up just to give my experience. It's really the preference of the user they are all decent but here is why I choose Kaspersky.

They ALL let some threats through, that is something you must accept.... and prepare for...

They are all good products and my reasons are biased and based on my own experience.

Kaspersky IMO
  • Plays nicer with corporate, small business and home networks.
  • Plays nice with VPN, Remote Desktop, GoToMyPc, LogMeIn, TeamViewer, etc...
  • Doesn't spam you every week to check out their new products.
  • Provides a blog where they are researching and sharing the information of new threats daily.
  • Updates several times a day.
  • Provides a blog that helps new users inform themselves about good practices.
  • Most of my customers that run Kaspersky have only had rare PUP problems and no malware/virus problems.
    (These PUP problems are on a fine line of installed itself and user stupidly installed it lol.)
I have tried them all and I always seem to go back to Kaspersky with clients because I get the least amount of calls with problems.

Note: If the user doesn't understand "Safe Money" disable it or explain it well... it will cause lots of frustration. Also Kaspersky keyboard is nice but I usually disable it.

Hopefully this helps out people :)

jerzy601

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 20, 2011
both the program are good and it is hard to choose.
Kaspersky is a little heavy weight for the system requires appropriate conditions on your computer.
BitDefender little muli system but can this new version has changed.:cool:

Cehson

Level 2
Verified
Jul 31, 2014
I personaly do not see the diference in PC performance between them, but if i had to choose i would choose Kaspersky, just feels more capable.

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Kaspersky!

I used Bitdefender for 2 years BUT:
-good detection
-good firewall
-very buggy
-light on system but when vsserv.exe update the cpu run crazy and hard drive is getting hammered
-almost no technical support(look at forum)

Kaspersky:
-good detection
-very good firewall
-good 0 day protection
-technical support is great
- dosen't destroy my HDD

+ Bitdefender is written in assembly language, that gives a good performance. (I'm sorry if i wrong.)

Ajay123

Level 2
Verified
Nov 12, 2014
KIS 2015 ofcousrse....Used Bitdefender earlier and it is very buggy and resource using ..it also lags the system support is also not that great....Now using KIS for around 6 months..KIS2015 is best in terms of protection as well as perfomance..

David95

Jan 20, 2015
I have 2 PCs and 2 laptops using BitDefender Total Security 2015 right now. I am uninstalling all of them tonight and replacing them with Kaspersky. I have been working with BitDefender for the past 2 days unsuccessfully. It is blocking ALL child accounts from You Tube. If the account is changed to standard user, they can get to it, if I uninstall Bit Defender they can get to it, if I reinstall BitDefender they are blocked. After testing with customer support after finally getting a hold of them, we discovered that it was the Web Protection - SSL Scan port function that is blocking them. I can disable this, and all child accounts can get to YouTube (I am sure there are other website affected to - but we are just working with YouTube right now). After we concluded this was the problem, customer support just disappeared on me. They quit responding to me, and refuse to have any conversation with me now.

So basically, you cannot use child accounts in Windows 8.1 if you are using BitDefender. With 5 grandkids under 12, that isn't happening.

I also was getting false phishing reports constantly. I wrote them about this, it was coming from google ads. I think they finally removed it, thank goodness. But if their support is this awful, I couldn't care less how good the product actually is. I'm uninstalling all of them tonight.

Last edited:

kuckunniwi

Mar 2, 2015
Hey, I'm new here, but thought I'd make the 30" effort it takes to register and contribute to the discussion.

To begin with, here some background:

I run a dual-boot system with (Kubuntu) Linux and Win 8.1, and spend about 99% in Linux, which is my main OS. I only revert back to Windows for video editing and the likes (Linux free software just can't compete with Adobe's...). I'd pretty much forgotten what viruses were until today (hadn't logged into windows for about 6 months).

I use Avast Security Pro. I was downloading an activator tool for a known piece of software, but all versions I found seemed "a bit" fishy (asking for vpn installation...??? That's bold....). Avast has always worked well for me: very configurable, good detection rate, generally no problems, was happy with it. Opened one of the cracks in Avast's virtual sandbox, realized it came with more than advertised. Tried another. Right-clicked on the .exe and chose avast's "execute virtually", and unexpectedly, it opened the app directly, IN Windows, outside the sandbox. And Bam! Trojans-R-us!

Here is where I became hesitant about Avast's actual capabilities: removed 6 threats. Several browser bars, docks and fake antiviruses went undetected. Was unable to cleanout firefox. I installed Malwarebytes Pro and it found 10X the amount of threats Avast found, listing a ton of the new apps that Avast had ignored. In the meantime, Avast popups kept showing me how it was granting internet access to all this malicious software (I had it configured so it would decide firewall rules automatically but show me every time a new rule was created, so I could modify it if I didn' agree). 7+ apps that Malwarebytes detected were granted full internet access, so not much to be said about Avast's Firewall (unless you set it to fully manual). After Avast's cleanup, Malwarebytes still found over two dozen threats left behind. I had to reinstall Firefox to get rid of all the crap.

Did a bit of research and tried Bitdefender. UI is nice, but that's about where it ends. I haven't had time to test it thoroughly, but have already taken a dislike to it. First, real-time detection feels poor: whereas Avast (with all its shortcomings) would prevent zip extractions for infected files, or even warn me the minute I selected them (before opening), Bitdefender fails to even detect those files as threats when scanned on-demand. I don't dare double-click to see if it will be able to prevent disaster mid-installation (and yes, these reference exes and zips are the ones the infected my PC under Avast, so I know they're malware, and for in case they'd been "cleaned" up by Malwarebytes, I downloaded them again. But no, bitdefender doesn't seem to have an issue with them. In fact, Avast even blocked the download, I had to deactivate real-time shield to download them in the first place, whereas Bitdefender fails to do that either).

And that's without counting how buggy it is. For some reason, it insists on scanning my Linux partition, even if I create a custom scan targeting ony unit C:/. Also seems to lack configuration options (how to treat detected threats, PUPs, what actions to take automatically and which ones to leave to the user to decide). Maybe it's just what I'm used to, but I'm not liking it at all and considering uninstalling it and replacing with KAV. I don't mean to bash Bitsy here, but I guess I kind of am: Avast was always, in my experience, much more stable and feature-rich, and more effective at proactive prevention (except when it wasn't), so I guess I miss Avast's approach, while at the same time I've come to see that beyond my fondness, it's not really that great a security suite.

Am going to give KAV a try. II've used it in the past, but back in the day, always ended up reverting back to ESET (probably something to do with configuration options and UI. KAV has always has a pretty solid reputation for doing a good job at what it does).

My other main contender is Qihoo 360, but I've read a few articles on backdoors, and am uncertain whether it's the Chinese government actually stealing data (which would make sense when you consider their grasp on the Chinese market, from web browsers to AV software to Android apps to smartphone partnerships...a bit big brother style if you ask me...) or western media bashing them 'cause their FREE solution has been stealing an incredibly high rate of market share. The corporate world is murky as hell...particularly the AV market.
Does anyone have any experience with it?

I know I've gone completely off-topic, but thought my experience might shed a little light on Avast and Bitdefender, both of which I'm a bit skeptical of ATM. I'd love to hear some more info on KAV, something elaborate that actually goes into why it's better (in people's opinion) that Bitdefender, beyond mere personal taste. I'll share my experience with it...as soon as I have one to share :)

But I think my main lesson here is (and I know you're all gonna hate me for this, but I can't help it, and I'm not being cute) : stay away from Windows. No viruses in Linux. No cracks that might contain 'em. No need for cracks, as there's a free alternative to pretty much every piece of Windows software out there. I hadn't had this kind of tech-related headache in years. In fact, I haven't had a "system crash" or even a mere program crash or error message in over a year. Now THAT is definitely something to think about...

Regardless of what I do AV-wise, from now on, if I do log into Windows for anything, I'll do it in airplane mode. Lesson learned :)

SoundJudgment

Jul 10, 2014
My other main contender is Qihoo 360, but I've read a few articles on backdoors, and am uncertain whether it's the Chinese government actually stealing data

Riiiiiiight. Well with *that* line of thinking... you better stay away from the scary Kaspersky, too! After all, those nasty Russians and the Internet! Taking over the World is only days away! Haha!

Stop listening to the arm-chair pundits and sensational headline-grabbers, or the ever-present, **Emsisoft ATE MY PUPPY!!!** postings. Be your own 'Judge' ...and you might just come to find that not everyone in the world is out for your money and your soul. Qihoo is great, and having their own Cloud engine, as well as Malware-signatures from Bitsy and Avira makes it a triple-PUNCH against Malware nasties. :D

Last edited:
H

hjlbx

This thread is old ...

You are absolutely correct...Linux is more secure as there is virtually no economic return to be had by targeting Linux systems ... yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.