Kaspersky Internet Security 2019 Feedback

Product name
Kaspersky Internet Security 2019
Installation (rating)
5.00 star(s)
User interface (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Accessibility notes
I think this interface is one of the best GUI in the market. It's clean, intuitive, and gives you quick access to the most important things you need. Something I do not like is the More Tools button which gives you a couple of "ocassionally" used tools, which could be more hidden where. It has a screw on the bottom which accesses you to the configuration menu, and this is very easy to understand and use. You can tweak the whole software by only reading each box, and it's also very documented if you choose to go to the web.
Performance (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Core Protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Proactive protection (rating)
5.00 star(s)
Additional Protection notes
I personally configure Kaspersky to be robust and light, scanning each file upon execution and only if it has been modified. This gives me quick response time when executing files or programs.

If correctly tweaked, I believe KIS can offer the best protection at this moment.

-One of the biggest and fastest databases, with almost immediate support to integrate new hashes
-System Watcher which is the core module, transmitting info to vulnerability protection, ransomware attack attempts, and voiding malicious actions
-Application Control is, I believe, the best module it has, allowing (if correctly configured) to deny execution of unstrusted files (know untrusted as unknown files without a valid signature found on the Trusted Vendor List). This can seriously minimize the infection risk, since no malicious unknown code would be even able to take place.
-Malicious actions rollback is another interesting function that can outperform the worst malware, recovering the damage dealt.
-Trusted Application Mode will act as an anti-executable kind-of module, and gives a really interesting point of view in security terms.

When talking about 0-day malware, usually you wouldn't need to worry if you have configured TAM or AC correctly, since payloads wouldn't be able to launch.

Sadly, the firewall isn't much of an interactive module. No notifications, but you do have a list of programs for which you can decide wether to allow or deny connection, which is usually tied to decide by the Application Control module and the trust zone each file is in. For example, a signed software developed by a Trusted Vendor would usually be catalogued as trusted software, therefore would be given full internet access. Anyways, you can void this by manually revoking internet permissions.

Obs.: Application Control module can be tricky sometimes for begginner users, since it will block software and give a basic Windows execution error, and will not even tell it's because if has been blocked to execute. You would need to manually enter the module and search for the restricted software, then change the trust group and run it again.
Browser protection (rating)
4.00 star(s)
Positives
    • Many features
    • Highly configurable
    • Easy to use
    • Simple and non-intrusive
    • Ransomware protection
    • Strong and reliable protection
    • Detects or blocks in the wild malware
    • Consistently high test scores
    • Accurate results and reliable antivirus engine
    • Virus signatures are updated daily
    • Excellent scores in independent tests
    • Great value for money
    • Features you can't get elsewhere for free
    • Effective malware removal
    • Well designed, clear and easy to use interface
    • Multi-layer protection approach
Negatives
    • Short on configuration options
    • Limited web protection
    • Scans can be rather slow
    • Can be complex in some situations
    • Can slow down your browsing speed
Time spent using product
Computer specs
Acer Predator Helios 300:

Intel Core i7 7700HQ
16GB RAM DDR4
GTX 1060 6GB
1TB SSD
256GB secondary SSD
Recommended for
  1. All types of users
Overall rating
5.00 star(s)

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016

Kaspersky is probably one of the most known security companies around the world, loved by some and not so much by others.

I hereby share with you my experience with it. I also invite you to take a look at my Light Configuration Thread for this product, where I share with you the best configuration possible to achieve the maximum protection, along with the lightest resource consuming, making your system fast, stable, and secure. (it includes lots of product's screenshots as well!)

I seriously think Kaspersky Internet Security is one, if not the best, and most robust security software, including a huge malware database, almost instant threat response, and insanely useful modules such as System Watcher and Application Control, which can create a kind-of default deny enviroment, making sure no suspicious or unwanted software is even executed at first or second ground.

Interesting Q&A about KIS

1. Why Kaspersky?
Kaspersky is definitely a market leader, with huge experience on the cybersecurity area and innovation, winning multiple awards and prizes for the great protection it can offer.

2. Can I use it on my old PC?
Well, stop right there DINOSAUR. It stricly depends. Old computers, those which still use XP, will have lots of problems with Kaspersky and any security software, due to logic reason. Now, if we talk about low-end PC's, like those with 2GB of RAM or antique processors, I would suggest not to use Kaspersky. Nevertheless, remember it's always a trying thing. Use free trials to test your system's response.

3. Which is the ideal public/audience/customer for Kaspersky?
I would say anybody. If you use your PC for banking, for social media, if you're an online streamer, if you work with Autocad/Photoshop, or if you just game. I do all these at the same time. Never an issue.

4. What about the price?
Kasperksy is actually very affordable. You can access to cheap licenses on the web, just make sure it's legit and legal. Lots of deals are launched every week. Make sure to grab one!

5. What's the meaning of life?
Although I don't know the answer for that one, I certainly assume it's "live to mock Panda for being a terrible product". (but praise Panda animals)

What do you think about this software? Do you use it or recommend it?​

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
I was considering leaving some feedback with the new posting system on some software, but this puts anything I would write to shame! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience good sir!

RoboMan

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I was considering leaving some feedback with the new posting system on some software, but this puts anything I would write to shame! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and experience good sir!
Hey mate! Thanks for your words! Do not fear to post your review! It's not about who shares the best feedback, but about everybody giving their experience! No one should be guided by one single opinion! Plus, this is just what I've lived personally, and I could have made it better but I'm lazy :p

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@RoboMan Fantastic post friend. Keeping the US- Russia controversy aside, hands down KIS is among the top security suites for the money. Kaspersky and ESET are among the top ones out there, although I would say in terms of protection Kaspersky wins hands down. I use KIS in my family PC since last six months and this PC is used by all the members. TAM is ON and I have yet to see any malware get past it. It's basically set and forget. I use ESET on my gaming rig and although it's much lighter than Kaspersky the BB is nowhere near as close to KIS. Advanced users may like ESET better since it can be customised and the firewall is better than KIS. But as a complete suite KIS would be my first choice followed by ESET.

Dave Russo

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Great software,Only one I do not feel needs extra layer of protection,one thing I do not like is it has a slow start up and often I get a windows notification before it starts,besides that I have Eset on my other machine and because of some poor results{test sites} run it along side voodoshield, Kasperskys,anti-banner and software updater work great, no doubt Trusted program, also password manager works on Edge browser, which many others do not

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I've long been a Kaspersky fan and still am. But I was facing two issue with both Kaspersky Free & Kaspersky Secure Cloud Free 2019. They were causing high disk usage after startup lasting 3-5 minutes. That bothered me a lot. Later, I won a Emsisoft license here on a giveaway and using it since.

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Very nice review my friend, I am a Kaspersky fan since version 6.0 and I think it is one of the few antivirus solutions that deserve to have our money.

Version 2019 has fixed almost all quirks that I had with it on the past, so it is nearly a perfect solution for me (and now with the old K icon and pig squeal sound :ROFLMAO:).

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
hi, what do you mean "Limited web protection"?
Kaspersky has one of the best web protection module in the industry with great heuristics against new sites
it can block hidden scripts in a website, not limited to the URL

My extra feedbacks:
- Firewall bug: easily lose internet connection if you don't know what you're doing. It's not easy to use and quite buggy if you try play with it
- Scan mode doesn't really do what you want: if you set scan "On execution", KIS still scans all files in a folder without clicking on them => similar to WD. Somehow, it's still faster than the Smart Mode
- Temporary caches are wiped after a reboot => KIS scans files again as above
- Some compatibility issues: like NPE
- Average PUP protection
- Some certificate issues with browsers
- Exclusion settings are confusing. Sometimes, it doesn't exclude the file. You must be very specific in order for it to correctly exclude the file

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.