Battle Kaspersky Internet Security vs Symantec Endpoint Protection

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I am building a Family Desktop which will be used by everyone in my family. It ranges from my cousins who are 10 years old to my grandpa who's 75 years old. So needless to say that it will require some top protection. They are all average users. The PC will mainly be used for social networking like Facebook Video Calls and playing online games. For the browser I will use Chrome alongwith a good adblocker and for backup I will be using Macrium Reflect. Here comes the toughest part. I need a good security suite that will offer good protection at the default levels since it has to be set and forget. The users who are going to use this PC will just click on ALLOW for every popup they get. So it's useless to install a Security Suite that asks for user input. Currently I have shortlisted these 2- SEP and KIS. Which of these two would you recommend? The PC will be connected to my home router which has a NAT Firewall.

francis de lorraine

Level 2
Verified
Mar 19, 2017
I am building a Family Desktop which will be used by everyone in my family. It ranges from my cousins who are 10 years old to my grandpa who's 75 years old. So needless to say that it will require some top protection. They are all average users. The PC will mainly be used for social networking like Facebook Video Calls and playing online games. For the browser I will use Chrome alongwith a good adblocker and for backup I will be using Macrium Reflect. Here comes the toughest part. I need a good security suite that will offer good protection at the default levels since it has to be set and forget. The users who are going to use this PC will just click on ALLOW for every popup they get. So it's useless to install a Security Suite that asks for user input. Currently I have shortlisted these 2- SEP and KIS. Which of these two would you recommend? The PC will be connected to my home router which has a NAT Firewall.
hello symantec endpoint protection or symantec endpoint protection cloud are clearly better than kis

D

Deleted member 178

Do simple, lock everything :p

0- if Win10, use all the built-in security features.

1- to block automatically unwanted executables or installations:
- install free SRP type of software (basically what SEP Managed does best) like SSRP or @Andy Ful HardConfigurator.
- or use NVT OSArmor if you cant handle SRP software which requires a certain level of skills.

2- to prevent data leaks, Keyloggers and RAT: install a simple firewall or a Windows Firewall front-end GUI like ex-binisoft Windows Firewall Control .

3- to revert to a clean slate at every boot, use Shadow Defender set on boot. Be sure to set everything properly and all is clean before installing SD. Teach them to save their works on their own Ex-HDD.
After if changes are required, get out of shadow mode, do the changes, return in shadow mode at boot.

Since your family are happy clickers, a suite or whatever AVs is just a waste of time and money.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Do simple, lock everything :p

0- if Win10, use all the built-in security features.

1- to block automatically unwanted executables or installations:
- install free SRP type of software (basically what SEP Managed does best) like SSRP or @Andy Ful HardConfigurator.
- or use NVT OSArmor if you cant handle SRP software which requires a certain level of skills.

2- to prevent data leaks, Keyloggers and RAT: install a simple firewall or a Windows Firewall front-end GUI like ex-binisoft Windows Firewall Control .

3- to revert to a clean slate at every boot, use Shadow Defender set on boot. Be sure to set everything properly and all is clean before installing SD. Teach them to save their works on their own Ex-HDD.
After if changes are required, get out of shadow mode, do the changes, return in shadow mode at boot.

Since your family are happy clickers, a suite or whatever AVs is just a waste of time and money.

I thought about these points before.

I can't use shadow defender on this PC since my dad and mom are continuously downloading their important office documents from their mail. Sometimes they can some documents and save them too. A restart in Shadow mode would discard all those and the blame would come to me. :cry:

KIS has Trusted Application Mode which I do miss in SEP. However TAM is vulnerable against adware and signed malware. I am considering adding AppGuard to this PC and setting it to lockdown mode. But the problem is I have only 1 lifetime license for version 4 which I'm already using on my gaming pc with ESET. With ESET HIPS set to Interactive I think I don't require AG on my gaming PC and so I'm considering transferring the license to the family one.

F

ForgottenSeer 58943

Symantec is the easy choice. But I don't do 'Russian' anything so consider that bias. but Symantec is very good.

Also I think you really need a PC. Not a Mac, not Linux, not Chromebook.. Since you mentioned games and I can guarantee those games are Win only. Also, Linux and it's incessant incompatibilities and driver issues will plague you until the end of time. Linux, the reality is, is only good for geeks and embedded systems.. Nothing else IMO.

Kuttz

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 9, 2015
From a conventional protection standpoint Kaspersky is obviously superior to Symantec. Just check Malware Hubs and see how Kaspersky free dominates in most tests. Kaspersky's web and behavioral blocker is a class above Symantec.

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
In light of your daily complex tasks, you may need to consider the followings:
(1) Try ESET endpoint antivirus---much less noisy than SEP and KIS. That means fewer popup, user interactions.
(2) to completely LOCK UP system---you may consider Voodoo Shield.
(3) to take the steps that Umbra has suggested in # 11.
Good luck.

Reactions: SumTingWong

JM Safe

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 12, 2015
As suggested you can use Shadow Defender, or maybe using a VM with VirtualBox: create a clean snapshot when you install the VM and then if there are some problems just revert the VM back to clean state. About printing you can save docs on your real OS and print them. However beetwen Kaspersky and Norton I would choose Kaspersky because of the advanced and powerful features also against ransomware :)

FALLEN

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Feb 13, 2015

FPs.png

I would choose Kaspersky. Products it doesn't matter.. Protection on another level with low FPs. IMO.

dragongate888

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
comparison among few apps, in particular between two top notched AV apps sometimes, IMO, may easily lead to wrong direction. As I can recall, one particular tech forum which has stipulated very strict rule to prohibit any sort of comparison among apps.
back to OP --he has various types of users for this family PC. It will be wise to keep it Simple ans Easy. You may relate it to Internet bar or school student PC--at end of day, revert it to original state. Any work done and needed to be saved, just download and save to external disk.

Reactions: Wraith

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
@devjit2018 just put the system drive partition under SD, create a partition where they save their datas. Anyway no personal datas should reside on the system one, since you can set default doc folders and libraries anywhere.

An excellent suggestion mate. You saved me a lot of trouble. I'm just gonna put Drive C in Shadow Mode and set up the apps in such a way that the data gets saved on the D Drive. This PC actually has a 120GB SSD(C Drive) and a 1TB HDD(D Drive). The HDD is used for storing all the data.

Reactions: Deleted member 178

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Thanks a ton for everyone for your valuable opinions. I have installed a 91 days trial of KIS 2019 along with ERP 4 Beta and SD(Trial). Let me test this combo for a month. If everything goes as expected, I'll purchase KIS. Another option besides KIS which I was considering is Hard_Configurator with Default_Deny protection.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.