Battle Kaspersky Internet Security vs Symantec Endpoint Protection

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
I am building a Family Desktop which will be used by everyone in my family. It ranges from my cousins who are 10 years old to my grandpa who's 75 years old. So needless to say that it will require some top protection. They are all average users. The PC will mainly be used for social networking like Facebook Video Calls and playing online games. For the browser I will use Chrome alongwith a good adblocker and for backup I will be using Macrium Reflect. Here comes the toughest part. I need a good security suite that will offer good protection at the default levels since it has to be set and forget. The users who are going to use this PC will just click on ALLOW for every popup they get. So it's useless to install a Security Suite that asks for user input. Currently I have shortlisted these 2- SEP and KIS. Which of these two would you recommend? The PC will be connected to my home router which has a NAT Firewall.

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
In light of your daily complex tasks, you may need to consider the followings:
(1) Try ESET endpoint antivirus---much less noisy than SEP and KIS. That means fewer popup, user interactions.
(2) to completely LOCK UP system---you may consider Voodoo Shield.
(3) to take the steps that Umbra has suggested in # 11.
Good luck.

Although I don't have any experience with ESET Endpoints Products, I use ESET IS on my Gaming PC and in default settings, it won't be enough to stop my cousins from getting infected. I can train the HIPS and FW for 1 month using Learning Mode and then switch them to Interactive like I did on my Gaming PC but I'm sure that during the 1 month training time, the PC will get infected.:X3:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Symantec:
1-Better BB
2-Less buggy
3- Get update every month
4-advanced features like Endpoint Protection Deception
5-Better web filtering (Blue Coat )
6-Ugly outdated Gui(although not important)

TBH I don't care about the looks of SEP. I only care about the protection and besides I don't spend an hour looking at the GUI of my AV :p. I use SEP on my college laptop and it has protected my laptop like a Knight in a Shining Armor.:cool:

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
My nephews managed to infect the computer. I must say that I'm impressed. Chrome opens with a Chinese homepage, a Chinese search instead of Google search. Displays a lot of ads. Did a scan with Malwarebytes and found over 100 pup's and modifications. I know Kaspersky is weak against adwares and pups but i can't figure out how they managed to circumvent ERP in lockdown mode. Stupid me that I did not set SD schedule to enter Shadow Mode at Boot. I'll do a complete wipe of the SSD and reinstall of Windows 10. Time to step up the security. Looks like I'll have to go the Default Deny route this time.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
My nephews managed to infect the computer. I must say that I'm impressed. Chrome opens with a Chinese homepage, a Chinese search instead of Google search. Displays a lot of ads. Did a scan with Malwarebytes and found over 100 pup's and modifications. I know Kaspersky is weak against adwares and pups but i can't figure out how they managed to circumvent ERP in lockdown mode. Stupid me that I did not set SD schedule to enter Shadow Mode at Boot. I'll do a complete wipe of the SSD and reinstall of Windows 10. Time to step up the security. Looks like I'll have to go the Default Deny route this time.

Was Kaspersky ser to block PUPs?

Reactions: harlan4096

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
For now I'm trying out the combo of Symantec Endpoint Protection and Hard_Configurator(with default deny). Let's see how it goes.

Reactions: harlan4096

Mahesh Sudula

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Sep 3, 2017
SEP- Pros:M/L based algorithms, cloud based signatures, file based reputation (Cloud), Aggressive heuristics, Aggressive self protection(Paranoid), Sonar (Quite good especially on having less Fp's ), SO so offline protection (Sonar + Heuristics make the heavy duty)

Cons: Mediocre removal capability, Works on a bit weird side( On execution after sometime either Heuristics or Sonar come into play for obfuscated stuff), Non existent web blocking, Very poor anti phishing(Scores declined by a large margin ..blue coat is dead)
Advice: Symantec seems to use Fortinet web based protection and cloud to larger extent from this 1st Quarter of 2019, wait for that upgrade then try it !)

Kaspersky : Overall a standard suite, Minimal Fp's, Great removal capability against unknown malware, Heuristics based anti phishing, Roll back system, Good Gui. I personally recommend Kaspersky..but i insist you too wait for that Symantec update then choose accordingly

Wraith

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
SEP- Pros:M/L based algorithms, cloud based signatures, file based reputation (Cloud), Aggressive heuristics, Aggressive self protection(Paranoid), Sonar (Quite good especially on having less Fp's ), SO so offline protection (Sonar + Heuristics make the heavy duty)

Cons: Mediocre removal capability, Works on a bit weird side( On execution after sometime either Heuristics or Sonar come into play for obfuscated stuff), Non existent web blocking, Very poor anti phishing(Scores declined by a large margin ..blue coat is dead)
Advice: Symantec seems to use Fortinet web based protection and cloud to larger extent from this 1st Quarter of 2019, wait for that upgrade then try it !)

Kaspersky : Overall a standard suite, Minimal Fp's, Great removal capability against unknown malware, Heuristics based anti phishing, Roll back system, Good Gui. I personally recommend Kaspersky..but i insist you too wait for that Symantec update then choose accordingly
I'm trying out SEP just to see how well it goes. So far the PC feels a bit snappier than before when KIS and ERP were installed. In the end I may probably go to WD and WF. I'm already using Default Deny by HardConfigurator so it should stop most of the nasties from executing.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.