Advice Request Kaspersky on iOS devices (what does it do exactly ?)

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

jetman

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 6, 2017
I have Kaspersky Internet Security which is available on iOS. I see that it is also possible to download Kaspersky Cloud Free for these devices.

However- what do they do exactly ?

My understanding is that Apple does not allow antivirus products within the App store- mainly because applications are sandboxed and malware is very rare in iOS.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
most "antivirus programs" on IOS are checking if your phone is up-to-date or jailbroken and offer a VPN with a function to block malicious websites. This is actually kinda useless as there is pretty much no malware that is able to infect an IOS device from a website. So it's not a real antivirus that scans your device for malware in real time. As far as i know apple runs every app within a sandbox which prevents malware from doing any damage to your phone which makes an antivirus unnecessary. Kaspersky also has a tool that can check if your email has been compromised which also isn't a must have imo as there are free websites where you can do the same. If you ask me the only apps that can really enhance your security and privacy on IOS are content blockers and standalone vpn's.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
From Kaspersky:
Despite not having an antivirus engine, Kaspersky Security Cloud for iOS provides some very useful security enhancements such as a built-in VPN that offers to activate itself when it finds the connection is not secure, notifications about relevant security incidents, and a tool that checks for weak system settings. We round those out with our Password Manager and, in the Family version, Kaspersky Safe Kids, our advanced parental control tool. That should keep you on the safe side.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Generally you can find out what an app does from the description.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Kaspersky said they install a VPN that is basically a malware/phishing hosts filter. Of course having an entire app for that is unnecessary. The reason why they have an app is to datamine. Most mobile AVs are useless.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I already have an add blocker, a vpn ,Jumbo ,a password manager and an Authenticator on IOS. Anything else would be bloat.

Reactions: Cortex

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Considering you don't understand what Kaspersky does for iOS users. I recommend to continue using Kaspersky on the PC, and switch to using a dedicated app for a VPN and Password Manager.

A privacy VPN can provide private and security-focused connections over WiFi and 4G/5G, for all apps on your device.

A dedicated Password Manager can provide extra services for data leaks such as exposed databases where sensitive PII is leaked or sold.

Using independent services allows you the freedom to make your own decisions on your own terms, instead of a contract with an All in One solution.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
most "antivirus programs" on IOS are checking if your phone is up-to-date or jailbroken and offer a VPN with a function to block malicious websites. This is actually kinda useless as there is pretty much no malware that is able to infect an IOS device from a website. So it's not a real antivirus that scans your device for malware in real time. As far as i know apple runs every app within a sandbox which prevents malware from doing any damage to your phone which makes an antivirus unnecessary. Kaspersky also has a tool that can check if your email has been compromised which also isn't a must have imo as there are free websites where you can do the same. If you ask me the only apps that can really enhance your security and privacy on IOS are content blockers and standalone vpn's.
Yeah but the jailbreak detection is useless as well as all other features of any iOS security product as even using third-party sdks wich are forbidden by apple can't really detect jailbreak status or malware on a iOS device .
And about anti theft there is little you can do even with the superior built in anti theft aka find my iphone

Reactions: Cortex and Kongo

Berny

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Oct 14, 2016
Kaspersky Security Cloud for iOS is blocking fishing sites.
Also , EXE files mostly don’t run on iOS.

Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.