oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
by Martin Brinkmann on December 27, 2019 in Security - 4 comments

Internet users who try to download the free antivirus solution Kaspersky Free Antivirus from the Russian security company are redirected to the Kaspersky Security Cloud Free download page instead.
The Russian company released Kaspersky Free Antivirus in 2016 to select regions and began the worldwide rollout of the free software program in 2017.
The free antivirus solution evolved over time, in no small part caused by changing requirements of computer users. Kaspersky Free evolved to a different program and Kaspersky made (German blog article) the decision to change the name to better reflect the program's functionality.
Kaspersky Security Cloud Free was born and it has replaced the classic Antivirus Free solution already on the Kaspersky website.
Note: While Kaspersky Free Antivirus is no longer available, it is still working and Kaspersky revealed that it has no immediate plans to stop supporting the program with antivirus definitions. For now, the solution should work just like before.
The classic free antivirus solution offered limited functionality. It included protection against viruses and could protect emails and web browsing next to that. Upgrades were available to add more protections and security tools.

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
I'm actually considering Kaspersky over windows defender I notice a great difference in responsiveness. Although I do have the option to get F secure free from my ISP. im concerned because it's a branded version of F secure I don't know if it's the updated version or not.... When asking some of the agents I feel like they just *yes* me to death...

oldschool

Level 81
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I'm actually considering Kaspersky over windows defender I notice a great difference in responsiveness. Although I do have the option to get F secure free from my ISP. im concerned because it's a branded version of F secure I don't know if it's the updated version or not.... When asking some of the agents I feel like they just *yes* me to death...

@Gandalf_The_Grey uses a re-branded version of F-Secure. I think he's using with VoodooShield ATM.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Like @oldschool said it's offered by my ISP Ziggo. You need to be a customer of them.
In the Netherlands it is offered by some ISP's.
Overview in Dutch:
Screenshot:
Aantekening 2019-12-28 121020.jpg

Last edited:

show-Zi

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 28, 2018
When he first announced the free AV, Kaspersky publicly offered support for the Japanese version. It became a big topic on the Japanese security bulletin board, but it was cancelled just before.
I think it is because of Kaspersky's concern that paying customers in Japan may switch to the free version.:sneaky:

Bryan320

Level 8
Oct 11, 2019
For free Kaspersky offers very powerful protection even in the free version it includes all premium security tools to detect malware as they're paid version except application control. IT's going to be very tough to find anything that gets past system watcher although not impossible it is very tough to do. I also like how it's not bloated with useless software and advertisement's that annoy you. all in all it's a very generous deal on Kaspersky's part.

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.