harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Good news for everyone!

A new version of the beta build is available for download and testing.

You can download the version from the links below

Download

Can be activated only through Internet. Beta-license is valid for 90 days.

Before installation of the new build, please uninstall the previous build (sometimes kavremover may be needed) and reboot the system.

Advices for novice testers
  • Do not proceed with testing without reading the instructions;
  • All found bugs should be posted in the related topics so it would be wise to read their headers at first. Bug reports should contain all useful info (it will be clear after reading the instruction from p.1);
  • The most convenient way to upload big files (traces or dumps): in .zip archive on OwnCloud.;
  • Traces as well as app and driver verifiers are enable in this build.
  • This area of forum is not connected to Tech Support (Bugs of Beta-products are collected here)
Additional Information

Please don't post on the beta forum if you are not participating in the beta testing.
Source

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
This is a MR1 (Maintenance Release 1) of the K2021 that will be released soon in summer...

I've already installed in my system, still unstable, there are for now some changes in GUI and seems a new Reports window system (similar to KES), also new MAC Spoof Protection and Heur level control in WebAV:
Wire 2020-04-30 at 20.29.08.pngWire 2020-04-30 at 20.29.36.png

Wire 2020-05-01 at 11.30.30.png

1588328606692.png

Last edited:

dark_wielder

Level 2
Mar 7, 2020

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
This is a MR1 (Maintenance Release 1) of the K2021 that will be released soon in summer...

I've already installed in my system, still unstable, there are for now some changes in GUI and seems a new Reports window system (similar to KES), also new MAC Spoof Protection:

Heuristic Scan for Web AV is a new setting right? Is it just controlling the heuristics of signature scanning downloads or malicious links?

I am kind of curious about the MAC spoofing detection. That might have a lot of false positives as many devices (particularly Apple ones) when they go to sleep they allow another device to reply to Bonjour requests on their behalf, which is usually started by a gratuitous ARP informing that the MAC address for the original device has changed. Looks pretty much identical to a MAC spoofing attack.

I suppose this works if it's just looking for other devices spoofing your MAC, but Windows does that already by default anyway for IP address conflict detection.

MacDefender

Level 16
Verified
Top Poster
Oct 13, 2019
where does Kaspersky have weak points currently?

Network attack blocking, as @fabiobr said, is definitely not as good as Norton 360. Norton/Symantec's IPS component detects a wide variety of network attacks that make it roughly equivalent to Snort. Sure we can argue whether or not an AV needs that, but it is a nice layer of defense. If you turn off many of the other layers Norton sometimes still blocks an attack phoning home simply because it sees a DNS lookup that's indicative of a botnet C&C address.

harlan4096

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Probably not so customizable as in Norton and others, but Kaspersky NAB was one of the few that stopped wannacry arttack (when still no signatures for it) when the others failed at 1st...

Nightwalker

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 26, 2014
Probably not so customizable as in Norton and others, but Kaspersky NAB was one of the few that stopped wannacry arttack (when still no signatures for it) when the others failed at 1st...

Exactly, Kaspersky since version 6.0 has always done a good job against network attacks:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.