Status
Not open for further replies.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I have 2 PC's; Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1. One PC has prevented the installation of GWX, the other has GWX in the system try. Neither have been "automatically" updated to Windows 10. I don't see why some are having an issue with a Free OS update, especially since it's not forcing the update installation.

To borrow from someone else...

1. Forced updates
2. Privacy issues
3. The design is crap
4. Design more for the mobile pc market
5. There trying to force the "App Store" telling you it's dangerous to install software from anywhere else(developer mode, I'm on a F^%$#*! PC,don't f^&*$%^ tell me what I can't do on MY SYSTEM)
6. Settings and a Control panel...WTF
7. It's moving towards a cloud based OS, which will not work when I travel
8. I enjoy using Win7 and already disliked 8
9. Windows 10 gives me less control over my PC

1. Updates can be deferred, or disabled.
2. Example?
3. User opinion, some dislike iOS and Android.
4. Windows 10 still has the Desktop.
5. Not true, Windows Store is optional and requires a MS Account. You can still install desktop apps from the web.
6. Universal design changes so Windows 10 Desktop and Mobile share a similar experience.
7. Offline mode...
8. Windows 10 is not Windows 8. Have you even tried Windows 8.1?
9. I have found more control over what Store apps get access to (ie. permissions).

Example to #9.
You can prevent a Store app from access to your webcam and microphone, the same cannot be said to an installed Desktop app, unless you have globally disables the devices.

Last edited:

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
The fact is 'change can't be stopped only delayed' & MS is trying (in their own way) make the course easier by making more & more users adopt to it as early as possible, that is why they started 1 year free upgrade option & that is why they started GWX upgrade program.

I don't agree with the methods but at least i understand it now. Can't judge something by it's cover, i did the same thing when the Win10 was released. So much hype about concerns with privacy & methods of MS in forcing upgradation that i started saying the same things. All that cons are true but some other things are correct too. Window 10 IS the FUTURE. All the concerns (whatever they are) are being dealt with gradually, some tools are already available to counter the MS privacy issues, later it will only become better. Surely same thing happened with XP & 7.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
I don't like anyone trying to force something on me when I don't want it. The hardware won't be compatible in my case. Win 10... privacy issues that even when you think it's all turned off MS is still monitoring what you're doing. I never do anything wrong however I don't like the privacy concerns, it's creepy. I use GWX Control Panel now to get a handle on the forced update issue and check things manually as well. If I want it at some point I will get it, do NOT continually try and force it on me as a critical update which is BS! There should be a lawsuit over this situation. Many people I know have been forced upgraded because they don't know any better only to find that their computer is now broken. A complete reinstall of a previous OS is then needed. MS should not be putting people in this position. A lot of time, etc. is wasted at the expense of the consumer.

Links that touch further on why I don't want it...

Windows 10 forced update KB 3135173 changes browser and other defaults

10 reasons NOT to upgrade to Windows 10

Windows 7 holdouts: Why diehard users refuse to move to Windows 10

To borrow from someone else...

1. Forced updates
2. Privacy issues
3. The design is crap
4. Design more for the mobile pc market
5. There trying to force the "App Store" telling you it's dangerous to install software from anywhere else(developer mode, I'm on a F^%$#*! PC,don't f^&*$%^ tell me what I can't do on MY SYSTEM)
6. Settings and a Control panel...WTF
7. It's moving towards a cloud based OS, which will not work when I travel
8. I enjoy using Win7 and already disliked 8
9. Windows 10 gives me less control over my PC
You said it all. I totally agree with you thats why I started to learn linux. One day linux will grow and will have bigger share in the market. unless MS will wake up and give people a simple and light OS linux will start to bite it. For MOST of the private computers owners all they need is to brows the web, photos, movies, read documents all other crap installed in windows 10 not needed for most of the users. thats why linux is a great option

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 178

Linux will never grows, why? to many hardware incompatibilities, complicated procedure to install anything, all important tasks must be done via command lines , Average Joe can't handle that.

Linux is just for geeks or Microsoft haters.

done

Level 5
Verified
Mar 19, 2015
Linux will never grows, why? to many hardware incompatibilities, complicated procedure to install anything, all important tasks must be done via command lines , Average Joe can't handle that.

Linux is just for geeks or Microsoft haters.
It already did. look at zorin, mint, mate it is good enough for most users.
I'm not MS hater but win 10 is bad.
I have no prob at all with spying I think the internet should be monitor. I do have problem with all runing process that eating my system all resources MS using and user left with low resources left.
Not everyone is rich and can afford i7 3.8ghz and even that not enough
Simple solution: 3 modes to chose: light, heavy and.......

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
It already did. look at zorin, mint, mate it is good enough for most users.
I'm not MS hater but win 10 is bad.
I have no prob at all with spying I think the internet should be monitor. I do have problem with all runing process that eating my system all resources MS using and user left with low resources left.
Not everyone is rich and can afford i7 3.8ghz and even that not enough
Simple solution: 3 modes to chose: light, heavy and.......

At the risk of upsetting Umbra, it's pointless to have a conversation with him/her about this. He/she thinks Win10 is great and everyone should get with the program and adopt it. Knock on wood I have never had a blue screen with Windows 7 yet he/she claims MANY blue screens with it. I don't know what their issue was, but I can honestly say that has never happened to me with Win7. Positions on this issue should be respected... if you want Win10 great and if you don't that's great too :)

Reactions: done
D

Deleted member 178

Linux is getting more & more appealing to me every month. And I am an Average Jane. LOL

If Windows 10 is so great, I don't understand Microsoft's policy of forcing it surreptitiously down my throat. That method alone gets my back up.

They want you to use it for some reason:

Official : Because Win10 is more secure and optimized for recent hardwares than previous versions (which is not false).
Unofficial: Track your activity better for some commercial purposes (the privacy thingy). If you don't mind much of this , you don't have to worry.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Linux is getting more & more appealing to me every month. And I am an Average Jane. LOL

If Windows 10 is so great, I don't understand Microsoft's policy of forcing it surreptitiously down my throat. That method alone gets my back up.

IMO because they want 1 single OS to deal with.

Andytay70

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2015
I was once "anti windows 10" but i have actually grown to like it, its more responsive than 8 was.
But like it or not windows 10 will be on all new PC's in the future.

Reactions: done and frogboy

shukla44

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 14, 2016
IMO because they want 1 single OS to deal with.

Yes, that gotta be in the top 5 reasons.

But i don't mind with all the reasons that MS has & all the reason users has, when it comes down to upgrade , it is one user's choice if he/she wants to or not.

PS: If someone is not saying bad things about something that doesn't mean he/she loves it & vice versa. This is a diplomatic statement, but what to do. There is no end to this GD.

And one more thing, it is JUST my opinion, so i will not discuss this...;):p, There is no right to speech or freedom of speech in this world. This occasionally gets exploited as everything has a loophole.

Regards.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Yes, that gotta be in the top 5 reasons.

But i don't mind with all the reasons that MS has & all the reason users has, when it comes down to upgrade , it is one user's choice if he/she wants to or not.

PS: If someone is not saying bad things about something that doesn't mean he/she loves it & vice versa. This is a diplomatic statement, but what to do. There is no end to this GD.

And one more thing, it is JUST my opinion, so i will not discuss this...;):p, There is no right to speech or freedom of speech in this world. This occasionally gets exploited as everything has a loophole.

Regards.

Great post! I would like to say though that there are many countries where you have the freedom of speech, religion, and many other freedoms. The only time you get in trouble is when that speech is deemed libel or slander. Libel is a written defamatory statement, and slander is a spoken or oral defamatory statement. IMO we should all be able to have our opinions here without being attacked in one form or another. Then again this might be considered chit chat and deleted or moved which would be ridiculous.

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
I was once "anti windows 10" but i have actually grown to like it, its more responsive than 8 was.
But like it or not windows 10 will be on all new PC's in the future.

I agree it is a little more responsive, but for me the cons outweigh the pros. I am hoping MS learns from it's mistakes and comes up with a new OS in the near future and I can avoid Win10 haha. I am patient and can wait these things out :D

D

Deleted member 178

I am hoping MS learns from it's mistakes and comes up with a new OS in the near future and I can avoid Win10 haha. I am patient and can wait these things out :D

Not going to happen, Win10 is now the 2nd most used OS after Win7; they won't change it, just "polish" it. There will be no Win11 (from what they said); just yearly upgrades of Win10. Like it or not you WILL use it sooner or later :p

Reactions: frogboy

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Not going to happen, Win10 is now the 2nd most used OS after Win7; they won't change it, just "polish" it. There will be no Win11 (from what they said); just yearly upgrades of Win10. Like it or not you WILL use it sooner or later :p

ROTFLMAO! You are funny! Win10 will not be the last MS OS. I won't use it, heck I have Win8.1 and rarely use it. Why not respect people that don't like it and quit forcing it on them? Enjoy it all you want, but stop acting like it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Some people plug it like it's a blow up doll. :D You claim to have had a chronic problem with blue screens in Win7. I can honestly say that has never happened to me ever.

I wouldn't brag about second place at just 12.82% vs Win7 at 52.37% and WinXP still at 11.24%. It's barely beating XP lol. Below says it all and pay particular attention to the BOLD...

Windows 7 suffered only a tiny drop in popularity to 52.37 percent (-0.13), which is likely to be a worry for Microsoft whose increasingly aggressive attempts to foist Windows 10 onto the public aren't working as quickly as it would like.

Windows 10 is now technically in second place with 12.82 percent (+0.97) and is the only Windows operating system to gain ground. Even if you add Windows 8 at 2.43 percent (-0.25) and Windows 8.1 at 9.83 percent (-0.57) that's still only 12.03 percent.

So it's happened. Windows 10 has hit second place, unarguably this time. But do remember that Windows 10 is the one true operating system now, and that this figure includes every tablet, ultraportable, IoT device etc that runs Windows 10. This skews it against other figures in the list.

Windows XP is now in fourth place, without really losing much ground. It stands at 11.24 percent (-0.18) proving that the faithful really are faithful. Microsoft has started moving the goalposts for hardware support in another attempt to bolster Windows 10 uptake, but the diehard Windows XP fans seem set to stay on as long as possible.

Razor555

Level 5
Verified
Sep 15, 2014
Overall win 10 is great and getting constant fixes when they detect some issue... It would also be great if someone removed all the windows 10 privacy issues along with registry and policy tweaks and upload the iso online... The tweaks must NOT be made via 3rd party tools and apps obviously,, someone with experience... :)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Although everyone is entitled to their opinions please be respectful to other members. If you do not agree with some opinions you can say so in a way that will not be taken the wrong way specially when many users are not native English speakers. This applies to everyone. Thanks

Blackhawk

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Jun 11, 2014
Overall win 10 is great and getting constant fixes when they detect some issue... It would also be great if someone removed all the windows 10 privacy issues along with registry and policy tweaks and upload the iso online... The tweaks must NOT be made via 3rd party tools and apps obviously,, someone with experience... :)

That would be great!

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
for me the cons outweigh the pros. [...] I can avoid Win10 haha. I am patient and can wait these things out :D
In which you replied:
That would be great!
So you agree that you may use Windows 10, possibly the Enterprise version?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.