Troubleshoot Keyboard is not working in BIOS

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
I have a Dell Inspiron 3521 laptop. I can access the BIOS using F2 during boot. But inside BIOS I can't change any setting as the keyboard doesn't seem to type. The CPU fan seems to rotate fast inside BIOS. Please help.

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
I would try to reset/update your BIOS as a first step:
  1. Detach all your devices from the laptop
  2. If Windows loads, download the BIOS version for your laptop from DELL (use a serial number or product code from the bottom of your laptop to help Dell identify your exact model)
  3. Disable all your security software's realtime protections, including Windows Defender
  4. Close all your running apps, save your work
  5. Update BIOS - do this with the battery in place and charged at least 50% (if 50% means keeping your laptop alive under heavy load for at least 15-20 mins - it won't take that long, just to be sure)
  6. Wait for the message that says you can safely reboot (or wait for it to reboot by itself)
  7. Check again
For a first step, try this. If it doesn't work, we'll try something else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
I would try to reset/update your BIOS as a first step:
  1. Detach all your devices from the laptop
  2. If Windows loads, download the BIOS version for your laptop from DELL (use a serial number or product code from the bottom of your laptop to help Dell identify your exact model)
  3. Disable all your security software's realtime protections, including Windows Defender
  4. Close all your running apps, save your work
  5. Update BIOS - do this with the battery in place and charged at least 50% (if 50% means keeping your laptop alive under heavy load for at least 15-20 mins - it won't take that long, just to be sure)
  6. Wait for the message that says you can safely reboot (or wait for it to reboot by itself)
  7. Check again
For a first step, try this. If it doesn't work, we'll try something else.

Well the other problem is the laptop doesn't power on with the battery plugged in. So I use it with direct current with battery removed. BIOS software doesn't continue the installation.

Upvote 0

Amelith Nargothrond

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 22, 2017
Well the other problem is the laptop doesn't power on with the battery plugged in. So I use it with direct current with battery removed. BIOS software doesn't continue the installation.

You should send your laptop to an authorized Dell service point and stop trying to fix it yourself. None of the symptoms make any sense in my opinion, unless hardware or firmware failure is involved, which may require special tools and skills.

Update: you must also send your battery and ac/dc adapter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

vindiesel

Level 7
Verified
Apr 15, 2013
Hi in my opinion it seems a problem of configuration of the bios can't reset the bios alkguna so that it is not from the bios?

Can be setup USB bios off?

I used to repair PCs and some for the USB keyboard disconnected and not being able to configure Bios to start Pc function perfect, having to use old keyboard of connection with pins on these cases so I think it is configuration bios USB keyboard off.

Reset BIOS: Dell 3521:

2py1a88.jpg

Remove the battery for about 2 minutes and press the on button for 2 minutes without battery.

Last edited:
Reactions: ravi prakash saini
Upvote 0

nishaddesilva

Level 3
Thread author
Aug 26, 2012
Hi in my opinion it seems a problem of configuration of the bios can't reset the bios alkguna so that it is not from the bios?

Can be setup USB bios off?

I used to repair PCs and some for the USB keyboard disconnected and not being able to configure Bios to start Pc function perfect, having to use old keyboard of connection with pins on these cases so I think it is configuration bios USB keyboard off.

Reset BIOS: Dell 3521:

2py1a88.jpg

Remove the battery for about 2 minutes and press the on button for 2 minutes without battery.

Still no luck :(

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.