KIS 2018 & HMPA & VS setings

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Your question was silly. Like I say it's the same as asking why you can't run 3 real time AV's all at once, you should know the answer it's child's play. I'm sorry if I came across rude but you're not just not believing anyone you're questioning a security software Dev on a matter that's so simple to understand.

I agree we should never just take peoples word, we should always do our own research, But asking for proof why you can't run different software that do the exact same job without potential issues is silly.
do you know how many people talk out of their asses? you would be surprised. Being a Dev means nothing, he could be a UI Dev for all i know (most ridiculous thing i could think of).
if one day someone tells you that jumping out of the window is good for your spine, and he/she has a Developer title, you will believe him and do it?

i don't want to spam/hijack this thread anymore with this nonsense, once again, there was no harm intended in my question towards @Lockdown and thanks for the info. I will consider removing HMPA now that my license is over, but the new 3.7 version is so tempting.

ps:
It's alright. Everybody calm down. If I annoyed you @mekelek that was not my intent.

Let's not devolve into some kind of rabble debate.
you didn't annoy me.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
and once again, @ZeroDay , there was no emotion in that simple question. why would i go out on @Lockdown for stating something?
stop blowing things out of proportion please.

now we know that HMPA and KIS conflicts with each other, although not visually, but they do.
I'm not blowing anything out of proportion I'm just pointing out what I see. Be sure to post your replies when you contact the companies you said you were going to if you don't mind, thank you.

I must admit that until now, I didn't know about the issue involved with running two anti-exploits together.
Long ago, when I was a new member of MT, I was advised by someone that KIS+HMPA is a good combo, and he convinced me that my worries of conflicts were not justified....
@mekelek , it is good you asked what you asked. Don't take anything for granted, and don't give blind respect to authority. Ask.

There is no authority on the forums other than staff. The forums are supposed to be give-and-take for us all. I work for a developer = I don't wear holy robes or a general's uniform. I started out just like about every body else on these forums.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
do you know how many people talk out of their asses? you would be surprised. Being a Dev means nothing, he could be a UI Dev for all i know (most ridiculous thing i could think of).
if one day someone tells you that jumping out of the window is good for your spine, and he/she has a Developer title, you will believe him and do it?

i don't want to spam/hijack this thread anymore with this nonsense, once again, there was no harm intended in my question towards @Lockdown
I'm not getting into or starting an argument there is already way too much of that on here recently.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Guys, everything is cool. We are all on the same page here. Let's move on.
At least I learned something, so the discussion was worth it just for that.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I'm not blowing anything out of proportion I'm just pointing out what I see. Be sure to post your replies when you contact the companies you said you were going to if you don't mind, thank you.
I was making the exact opposite point with that sentence, contacting company support is the most useless thing you can do in this situation.
A: they usually have zero knowledge about the product other than what their guide has written down
B: they will never tell me to continue using a direct competitors product.,

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I was making the exact opposite point with that sentence, contacting company support is the most useless thing you can do in this situation.
A: they usually have zero knowledge about the product other than what their guide has written down
B: they will never tell me to continue using a direct competitors product.,
I disagree, but I'm leaving this here.

The point that I am making is that you can never truly know if two softs are 100 % compatible without testing. Testing anti-exploit soft conflicts is beyond the typical user. So, the conservative decision is to use just one instead of making a combo of two products that both have mitigations.

There were those that tried to combo MBAE, HMP.A, EMET, and security suites with mitigation protections in various combinations - and there are reports of "stuff" resulting from such combos all over the place.

It's just not a good idea.

A user can do as they wish.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
On another note EMET being built into the next Windows 10 version should take this conversation to a whole new level lol. We shall wait and see how that unfolds. If Kaspersky wasn't happy before I wouldn't mind betting they're fuming now lol.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
This topic has caused "scuffaws" before. Maybe it is just an accursed topic or a particularly sanguine one.
giphy.gif

On another note EMET being built into the net Windows 10 version should take this conversation to a whole new level lol. We shall wait and see how that unfolds. If Kaspersky wasn't happy before I wouldn't mind betting they're fuming now lol.

You anti-exploit users have one of the best resources for infos over on the HMP.A threads.

I see people keep asking about the potential future incompatibilities with EMET integration, but I also see that there are no official replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you can never truly know if two softs are 100 % compatible without testing. Testing anti-exploit soft conflicts is beyond the typical user. So, the conservative decision is to use just one instead of making a combo of two products that both have mitigations.
Doesn't almost every AV have some kind of behavior blocking, or exploit mitigation, or whatever they want to call it? So any time you combo HMPA with an AV that is worth its salt, you are taking a calculated risk...

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
Doesn't almost every AV have some kind of behavior blocking, or exploit mitigation, or whatever they want to call it? So any time you combo HMPA with an AV that is worth its salt, you are taking a calculated risk...

Good point to be fair.

Reactions: shmu26

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
one thing that worries me is that what about fields that aren't covered by your AV but covered by HMPA?
and how are you going to figure out what exactly is your AV covering as anti-exploit, that maybe you could disable it in HMPA? I can't find anything for example for KIS, and no option to disable it either.

also i'm fairly certain, developers try to sort out incompatibilities with the known AVs, I'm sure HMPA has somewhat fixed incompaitibilities, but obviously they can't fix all, which gets us to the point of @Lockdown .

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
one thing that worries me is that what about fields that aren't covered by your AV but covered by HMPA?
and how are you going to figure out what exactly is your AV covering as anti-exploit, that maybe you could disable it in HMPA? I can't find anything for example for KIS, and no option to disable it either.
The AV companies don't want to tell us a lot of details. They are not going to reveal their secret recipes. But some AVs make it easier to disable those components. Bitdefender lets you do that.
Avast 2017 has the behavior blocker in a completely separate module, you can choose to install it or not. That is very convenient, actually.

Reactions: Sunshine-boy

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
The AV companies don't want to tell us a lot of details. They are not going to reveal their secret recipes. But some AVs make it easier to disable those components. Bitdefender lets you do that.
Avast 2017 has the behavior blocker in a completely separate module, you can choose to install it or not. That is very convenient, actually.
KIS has a lot of options to enable/disable certain parts of modules, but i can't, for the love of god, find anything about anti-exploits.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.