KIS 2018 & HMPA & VS setings

weedeezee

Level 2
Thread author
Verified
Jun 20, 2017
Hello
My computer Windows 10 Pro standard acount and KIS 2018 & Hitmanpro Alert & Voodoshield.
Is there any seting I need changing in any of these for make all work together so no problem I am having?I am need to exclude anything and create exceptions in any one?What are they?Thanks

PS:When I want to install Windows fresh what is order should I use to install these programes?Which is install first and last?

Reactions: shmu26

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
Few things to consider:

- DO NOT enable Kaspersky Trusted Apps Mode, because you already have VS
- In a fresh Windows install, install by order Kasperky, HitmanPro and Voodoshield
- It is recommended to whitelist Kaspersky folder in VS

Afterall, it is still overskill. HitmanProAlert is not needed at all - VS+Kaspersky make an amazing combo.
My personal suggestion: remove HitmanPro.Alert and add brain.exe

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
I run the exact same combination.
Added VS exe and VS service exe to KIS Exceptions/Trusted applications
Added HMPA exe to Trusted application in KIS too, so KIS doesn't mess with anything these 2 are doing.

Not sure why people keep telling everyone to remove HMPA, what if he needs extra anti-exploit? Yes, KIS has some, but not as much as HMPA does...
FYI this combo works together well, been using it for a while now, I even have KIS Trusted Apps mode on.

kN5DNP.png

(ZAM has startup on boot disabled, not running it for realtime)

I run the exact same combination.
Added VS exe and VS service exe to KIS Exceptions/Trusted applications
Added HMPA exe to Trusted application in KIS too, so KIS doesn't mess with anything these 2 are doing.

Not sure why people keep telling everyone to remove HMPA, what if he needs extra anti-exploit? Yes, KIS has some, but not as much as HMPA does...
FYI this combo works together well, been using it for a while now, I even have KIS Trusted Apps mode on.

kN5DNP.png

(ZAM has startup on boot disabled, not running it for realtime)

Co-excluding HMP.A and KIS in the other will not prevent mitigation clashes. Mutliple anti-exploits should not be run on a single system; use one or the other. There are cases where running two programs with exploit mitigations completely breaks the protections - only to be discovered after the system gets smacked by an exploit.

Unless there is a way to completely disable KIS' anti-exploit features, another anti-exploit should not be used with it.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
Co-excluding HMP.A and KIS in the other will not prevent mitigation clashes. Mutliple anti-exploits should not be run on a single system; use one or the other. There are cases where running two programs with exploit mitigations completely breaks the protections - only to be discovered after the system gets smacked by an exploit.

Unless there is a way to completely disable KIS' anti-exploit features, another anti-exploit should not be used with it.
is this coming from general guessing or you actually have tested and came to this conclusion?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I have tried this combo, although I am not using it right now. It is a little heavy, and has a lot of overlapping.
I even enabled Kaspersky trusted applications mode, too, because it has protections that the other apps do not have. (strong dll protection is what I noticed, but there could be more)
The combo seems to work okay, even if you do not make exceptions for each app in the other app.
But it doesn't hurt to do so, anyway. VS does not bother the other apps. Make exceptions in HMPA for the other apps, because HMPA injects its dlls into monitored processes, and that could lead to a conflict.

EDIT: If I was you, I would follow @Lockdown advice. He has done extensive testing.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
is this coming from general guessing or you actually have tested and came to this conclusion?
I'd say LockDown being a Dev and fully understanding how these things work is how he knows. There's no need for him to guess he's a dev of security software which makes this his area of expertise.

I think Dev's who actively participate in threads on these forums and try to help others should A. Be given a little more trust when they offer their advice/help and B. Be shown more respect.

I'd say LockDown being a Dev and fully understanding how these things work is how he knows. There's no need for him to guess he's a dev of security software which makes this his area of expertise.

I think Dev's who actively participate in threads on these forums and try to help others should A. Be given a little more trust when they offer their advice/help and B. Be shown more respect.

It doesn't take any kind of deep knowledge. Just combo the softs and test them. The difficult part is finding malware that will expose protection breakage. So it is a matter of time, effort and a willingness to persist.

It's simple:

1. Test malware with soft A and observe
2. Test malware with soft B and observe
3. Test malware with both soft A & B simultaneously and observe
4. It's typically very obvious when something is broken because of the combo

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
It doesn't take any kind of deep knowledge. Just combo the softs and test them. The difficult part is finding malware that will expose protection breakage. So it is a matter of time, effort and a willingness to persist.
I know it's just common sense I just find statements like this, especially when aimed at a security soft Developer a little insulting, or maybe just lack of knowledge on mekelek's part. It's the same as asking why we can't run 3 full blown AV's in real time together, Just silly basically.
:

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017

Oh please...

It's based upon actual testing.

Ask Kaspersky and SurfRight\Sophos for yourself what their recommendations are regarding piling security softs on top of each other - especially two security softs that have mitigations.
excuse me for not blindly following someone's word, I believe what I see not what i'm being told.
from where i'm coming, being a dev means nothing, they can be the least knowledgeable of all.

I will surely ask the companies about their opinion of using their competitors products , they will certainly tell me to go ahead and do it...

All you had to do was say "yes, I tested this scenario", no need to go full nuclear on me for being curious...

Reactions: shmu26

I know it's just common sense I just find statements like this, especially when aimed at a security soft Developer a little insulting, or maybe just lack of knowledge on mekelek's part. It's the same as asking why we can't run 3 full blown AV's in real time together, Just silly basically.

:

If I couldn't tolerate jabs, punches, bad-mouthing, stalking, harassment, belligerence, etc, etc by others, then I would never survive on the forums.

I don't care. People say things all the time. It comes with the online territory.

Sometimes when you think a person is being critical or making a personal attack, they aren't actually - since these forum posts are not like normal human conversations and quite easy to misinterpret a person's meaning or intent.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I must admit that until now, I didn't know about the issue involved with running two anti-exploits together.
Long ago, when I was a new member of MT, I was advised by someone that KIS+HMPA is a good combo, and he convinced me that my worries of conflicts were not justified....
@mekelek , it is good you asked what you asked. Don't take anything for granted, and don't give blind respect to authority. Ask.

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
excuse me for not blindly following someone's word, I believe what I see not what i'm being told.
from where i'm coming, being a dev means nothing, they can be the least knowledgeable of all.

I will surely ask the companies about their opinion of using their competitors products , they will certainly tell me to go ahead and do it...

All you had to do was say "yes, I tested this scenario", no need to go full nuclear on me for being curious...
Your question was silly. Like I say it's the same as asking why you can't run 3 real time AV's all at once, you should know the answer it's child's play. I'm sorry if I came across rude but you're not just not believing anyone you're questioning a security software Dev on a matter that's so simple to understand.

I agree we should never just take peoples word, we should always do our own research, But asking for proof why you can't run different software that do the exact same job without potential issues is silly.

mekelek

Level 28
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2017
and once again, @ZeroDay , there was no emotion in that simple question. why would i go out on @Lockdown for stating something?
stop blowing things out of proportion please.

now we know that HMPA and KIS conflicts with each other, although not visually, but they do.

Reactions: harlan4096

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I must admit that until now, I didn't know about the issue involved with running two anti-exploits together.
Long ago, when I was a new member of MT, I was advised by someone that KIS+HMPA is a good combo, and he convinced me that my worries of conflicts were not justified....
@mekelek , it is good you asked what you asked. Don't take anything for granted, and don't give blind respect to authority. Ask.
It's not blind respect. He was given solid advice by someone in the security industry lol.

and once again, @ZeroDay , there was no emotion in that simple question. why would i go out on @Lockdown for stating something?
stop blowing things out of proportion please.

now we know that HMPA and KIS conflicts with each other, although not visually, but they do.

It's alright. Everybody calm down. If I annoyed you @mekelek that was not my intent.

Let's not devolve into some kind of rabble debate.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.