Advice Request KIS 2020 scan mode changed to on execute but to no use?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Arijit_dutta

Thread author
Mar 27, 2020
Hello everyone, I am new here. I have a mid range laptop, I was using ESET for the last 2 years, and was pretty amazed by how lightweight it is. Thought of getting something different now, KIS. Tried out the trial mode and changed the Anti Virus setting to "On execute" from "Smart mode" as I think that is the best in terms of performance. But even after I changed the setting to "On execute", after entering one of my folders containing around 100 exes, Kaspersky starts static scanning the files. Kept an eye on the Task Manager as well during the time, Disk Usage and CPU usage went up for KIS 2020. I think this isn't supposed to happen in "On execute" mode, or am I missing something??

Thanks in advance!

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I think I didn't. But that static scan happens once every restart whenever I enter the folder. I want to avoid static scans.
It shouldn't happen unless you runan on demand scan...Check your settings under scans in the gui....The on execute is only for the antivirus engine,not for manual scans..Hope this makes sense!:)

Arijit_dutta

Thread author
Mar 27, 2020
It shouldn't happen unless you runan on demand scan...Check your settings under scans in the gui....The on execute is only for the antivirus engine,not for manual scans..Hope this makes sense!:)

I found this link as well. This is exactly what is happening.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I'm the owner of that thread on kaspersky community forum
so far, everything you describe is correct. There is no fix for it. Kaspersky doesn't care about it because everyone uses Smart Mode
By the way, using "on execution" does improve performance a bit despite the issue we mentioned. It's the same as Smart Mode but faster

On a reboot/logon, Kaspersky will always scan a folder once and then it won't scan again. It will repeat after another reboot (caches are wiped)

Arijit_dutta

Thread author
Mar 27, 2020
I'm the owner of that thread on kaspersky community forum
so far, everything you describe is correct. There is no fix for it. Kaspersky doesn't care about it because everyone uses Smart Mode
By the way, using "on execution" does improve performance a bit despite the issue we mentioned. It's the same as Smart Mode but faster

On a reboot/logon, Kaspersky will always scan a folder once and then it won't scan again. It will repeat after another reboot (caches are wiped)

Thank you very much. That was what I was looking for. Sad to hear there is no fix for it from a AV giant like Kaspersky. ESET also has a similar feature and works perfectly with "on execution". I guess I have to stay with ESET or WD.

Another product I was looking forward to was Norton (as I hear it is light-weight as well). Can anyone light me up how is the product actually when it comes to security for a normal home user who wants lesser False positives on a daily basis?

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.