Oct 1, 2019
Windows Edition
I am not running Windows
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
User Access Control
Real-time security
Bitdefender Traffic light add-on (Firefox) and Fireox's (Google based) safe browsing and Sophos FREE Linux antvirus (on access scan).
Firewall security
About custom security
Enabled through Manjaro Software installer (wih graphical user interface):
- TimeShift (monthly incremental backup)
- Gufw firewall (blocking inbound only)
- Firejail sandbox (using it for Firefox only)
- Sophos free Antivius (on access scan)
Periodic malware scanners
Sophos free Antivirus for Linux (because it has on access scan)
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Running Firefox in Firejail sandbox with
  • build-in Privacy & Security (blocking trackers, 3p--cookies of unvisited websites, cryptominers and fingerprinters)
  • Bitdefender Traffic light (enabled tracking reporting to manually block them with uBlock Origin)
  • uBlock Origin in easy medium mode (link)
Maintenance tools
TimeShift
File and Photo backup
Normally disconnected external USB-disk
System recovery
TimeShift
Risk factors
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Working from home
Computer specs
Lenovo ThinPad Edge from 2010 :) with Intel Celeron P4600 (2GHz), 4GB RAM, 250 GB Hybrid HD (with 8GB SSD write through read cache)

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Lenny Linux Manjaro setup on old (2010) laptop

Old Lenovo ThinkPad Edge revived with Manjaro Xfce. Choose Free-Office over Libre Office because of the low spec laptop.

Advantage of Manjaro over most other Linux distro's is its rolling release (based on Arch Linux).

Attachments

• PrivacyBadger_user_data_json.txt
    8.4 KB · Views: 318
Last edited:

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Awesome! Hope we see more and more of this in the future. Just installed Manjaro about a month ago and got a Clonezilla image backup. Been following Chris Titus Tech on YouTube, and he for me brings the right mix of command line tech and "hey, let's at least do things the simplest way, even if they aren't exactly simple sometimes."

From CTT, I have learned that the security is not simple. Any chance you might have time to create a guide on how to do this?

- TimeShift (monthly incremental backup)
- Gufw firewall (blocking inbound only)
- Firejail sandbox (using it for Firefox only)
- ClamAV (daily scan of user folders only)

This setup is exactly what I have been wanting to put together, to a T. Kind of a shame one of the versions of Manjaro isn't set up out of the box this way. I'd really like to see a security based version(y)(y)(y)

Curious about your impressions about one thing. With browser history is it really important to delete this if I will be the only one to see what's on the PC? I like having the record of where I have been.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Manjaro has a nice graphical program install/remove utility, I am running the Dutch version, so a bit hard to tell you exactly what to do.

I guess you have to open the Manjaro M button in the taskbar and enter "software installer" in the search bar.

Software installer/remover will launch (called pac-man manager). When it displays press the looking glass icon to show a search bar, in the search bar enter

timeshift (choose select and install) same for
firewall (choose Gufw firewall and install) same for
firejail ((choose select and install) same for
clam (choose ClamAv and ClamTK and install)

Installing/removing software is easier as with Windows, no need to go into the Terminal Mode. After you have installed the programs above, simply:

Launch TimeShift choose RSYNC and ceate a copy (that is it)
Launch Gufw Firewall and block inbound (easy as that)
Select the starter of Firefox and put Firejail in front of it (Firejail Firefox)
Launch ClamTK and select update and scan frequencies (that is all)

As said I am using Dutch version, so I hope I guessed the US-UK names right.

Regards Lenny

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Software installer/remover will launch (called pac-man manager). When it displays press the looking glass icon to show a search bar, in the search bar enter

timeshift (choose select and install) same for
firewall (choose Gufw firewall and install) same for
firejail ((choose select and install) same for
clam (choose ClamAv and ClamTK and install)

Installing/removing software is easier as with Windows, no need to go into the Terminal Mode. After you have installed the programs above, simply:

Launch TimeShift choose RSYNC and ceate a copy (that is it)
Launch Gufw Firewall and block inbound (easy as that)
Select the starter of Firefox and put Firejail in front of it (Firejail Firefox)
Launch ClamTK and select update and scan frequencies (that is all)

Thankyou. That helps alot. It seems simpler than I believed, but I wanted to avoid making a big mess installing applications. Manjaro KDE which I installed doesn't use pamac, but I have pamac installed and enabled already. Everything else here I understand well. I have installed a number of applications so far.

It depends on which edition you are using. Manjaro KDE comes with Octopi by default instead of Pamac so you need to install Pamac manually. Pamac is obviously superior to Octopi. Which one are you using? Manjaro XFCE?

I know the comment isn't for me, but pamac looks much better to me. Started using it a few days ago. Personally, I think once I get better with the command line, I will probably ditch Octopi. Just not sure how entrenched it is in Manjaro KDE.

Anyone have a best choice for a replacement for Irfanview? Irfanview is for me the go to viewer in Windows, but it can actually have some great tools with plugins added, especially when the batch editing is added to the discussion. It's also such a light program that I am having trouble replacing it in Linux. Maybe I will just have to use a full featured editor. But which one? The KDE default viewer I believe has a tool for exporting to an editing tool. That would be good enough for me to just use that tool as default viewer. Irfanview is great as the simple truth of viewing/editing and hard to replace for me...

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Yes XFCE, running on an old 2010 laptop with Celeron P4600 CPU, so I figured the lightest desktop would be best (and I like XFCE because it looks familiar to Windows users).
Yes good choice. XFCE is very light, and suitable for older config indeed.

I know the comment isn't for me, but pamac looks much better to me. Started using it a few days ago. Personally, I think once I get better with the command line, I will probably ditch Octopi. Just not sure how entrenched it is in Manjaro KDE.
You can remove Octopi completely. No problem. Pamac is definitely better in every way and you can install from AUR as well so, perfect. Also install Pamac tray indicator if you haven't already. There's a Pamac-Qt currently in beta. I think once it becomes stable, they would replace Octopi with it in Manjaro KDE.
Anyone have a best choice for a replacement for Irfanview? Irfanview is for me the go to viewer in Windows
I use Irfanview on Windows as well but I use it only as an image viewer so can't really help you on an alternative for linux.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
I use Irfanview on Windows as well but I use it only as an image viewer so can't really help you on an alternative for linux.

Thanks for replying.

I-V has a sharpen tool that I rely on quite a bit and also some nice tools for separating a picture from a color channel or combinations of them. Also, I seem to be constantly using the panorama tool. The sharpen tool can be used within a selected area only so I find myself hitting maybe a half dozen spots of various sizes in a pic, and this works really well with text. Then I-V is light as a feather, so I have found it amazing for simple non-critical screenshot improvements and quick touch ups. Sad to lose I-V on Linux...:)

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Thanks for replying.

I-V has a sharpen tool that I rely on quite a bit and also some nice tools for separating a picture from a color channel or combinations of them. Also, I seem to be constantly using the panorama tool. The sharpen tool can be used within a selected area only so I find myself hitting maybe a half dozen spots of various sizes in a pic, and this works really well with text. Then I-V is light as a feather, so I have found it amazing for simple non-critical screenshot improvements and quick touch ups. Sad to lose I-V on Linux...:)
You can use wine, it can work there.:giggle:
Wine - ArchWiki

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Found a very interesting post on MalwareTips and replaced privacy badger with uMatrix. This is my setup, thank you MalwareTips (y)

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Got so tired of the Dutch translation, that I decided to re-install US-English. I re-installed because the instruction to move from Dutch to US-UK did not work. Reinstall sounds heavier than it is: USB install takes 10 minutes and al my tweaks (install Firejail, Sophos, TimeShift and activate Firewall) only take 15 minutes max (including changing wall paper, Adwaita Desktop style, ePapirus Icons, Windows theme Kokodi).

Working a few weeks with a low spec laptop from 2010, changed my PC-usage habits from documents based to program based, because the load time of programs is long . This is also the reason I switched from Free Office back to Libre Office. Libre Office loads a lot slower, but when you only open a program once, it is less irritating.

What a joy, I got a (Windows) virus on my Manjaro Linux system :)

1571180059076.png

Last edited:
Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.