Advice Request LibreOffice Writer:: if you don’t use it, it freezes

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019
Hello

I wonder whether anyone could help.

LibreOffice Writer Portable ( portableapps.com ), when open, but Unused, freezes, after a short while.

In other words, if you open LibreOffice Writer, and use it, everything works fine.

However, as soon as you stop using it – let’s say for about five minutes, sometimes even less – when you go back to working on the document, you’ll find out that it has frozen. You need to exit LibreOffice, and then open it again.

I tried Google, but nothing seems to come up.

Any idea??

In advance, thank you very much for your kind assistance

Christian

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Nevi and upnorth

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Odd. I ran LibreOffice 6.4 and earlier (no portable) for years, often leaving it open for long periods and never had a problem. I've since gone back to my old MS Office 2007 which works well on Win 8.1 Pro and removed LibreOffice. Never saw a post anywhere mentioning it freezing.

beginner-mt

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Jan 6, 2019
Hi

you may (or may not) be interested.

Perhaps, I found a makeshift mitigation (NOT a solution) for the problem.

On the top right hand side corner of LibreOffice’s window, use the “Maximize/Resize” icon (NOT the “Minimize” one).

First reduce and then maximize the size of Writer’s document --- or the other way round.

Not sure why, but it “Unfreezes” the LibreOffice document.

I hope it helps those who experience the same problem.

Kind regards

Christian

Reactions: Nevi

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I had this exact same problem 2 days ago 3 times in a row. I'm using the standard, non portable version. They really need to fix this ASAP.

Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.