HarborFront

Level 53
Verified
Content Creator
ghacks template breaks a lot of functionality. If it's already implemented natively without consulting the user first it's going to be one frustrating browser to use.
I believe you can edit the preference settings for a relax browser like this redditer below....................in which case your privacy/security won't be the best as expected of the browser. I believe he must be using the Linux version for the Windows version is not ready

I don't like some of the default (about:config) settings on librewolf, it's too aggressive from a privacy perspective as a daily browser, so I had to revert some of those (like privacy.resistFingerprinting, and privacy.clearOnShutdown.cookies ; it's no fun to start the browser windowed, and have to re-login to each website every time).

Unquote

https://www.reddit.com/r/privacy/comments/h8qq4w

Last edited:

HarborFront

Level 53
Verified
Content Creator
Please not another non-maintained fork.

Also I wonder why they choice Firefox if they want security.

And just adding extensions or changing browser settings doesn't help
Same like why people fork Chromium.

Yes, the previous LibreFox was not maintainted. In fact, the now LibreWolf is the successor to the earlier LibreFox

The version v2.1 was released some years back with the gHacks/pyllyukko base at v64. The gHacks-user.js version now is v77 keeping inline with FF release

Changelog for LibreFox v2.1 (FF v64.0)

HarborFront

Level 53
Verified
Content Creator
Wish it was on Chromium, because FF is still far away with their own engine on mobiles.
FYI, FF Preview will be adding 3 more add-ons

Firefox Preview has only received a significant update with version 5.2 with improved tab management and voice search a few days ago, but Mozilla is already working on the next feature-filled update. The unstable Nightly now supports three new add-ons and sees smaller refinements to the three-button overflow menu. The dead-space custom tab bug that's plaguing the current Firefox Preview build is also nowhere to be seen.

The three new extensions in question are the privacy tool Decentraleyes, tracking blocker Privacy Possum, and YouTube High Definition, a simple tool forcing HD on YouTube videos and bringing overall enhancements to the website. Other than that, the overflow menu has seen small improvements. There's now an always-visible Synced tabs shortcut for quick access to sites opened in other Firefox instances, and the Add-ons shortcut has an arrow, indicating that you open another overflow menu when you tap it. To my delight, the Nightly release also got rid of some dead space in custom tabs that's currently plaguing the more stable preview build.

Read more here

HarborFront

Level 53
Verified
Content Creator
Hi

I managed to launch LibreWolf in Linux Mint Mate (in VB) using command line but don't know how to save it to the desktop as an icon (or shortcut) for launch. See picture below

LibreWolf.png

The problme is that I must keep the terminal open. If terminal is close then LibreWolf also closes. The next time to open it I'll need to open terminal and key in the commands again. I need to get it installed instead of just launching...................

Any Linux user here can help?

Last edited:

Zartarra

Level 2
I used Librefox config until Mozilla launched Firefox version 77. I only had a few problems with the configuration. With version 77 I had a lot of issues and switch back to the ghacks config and some custom setting.

I will surely test LibreWolf.

In term of privacy, Firefox is still beter than Chrome builds. Irridium and UnGoogledChrome are close.