Battle Lightweight Anti-Malware with Real-time Protection (Paid or free)?

Higher Power

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 11, 2018
Now I'm using Windows Defender and Zemana Premium, but I feel like Zemana isn't updated for long. (I use it because I saw many people on this website long ago commented that it was good.)

Before that, I used MBAM Premium. Should I go back to MBAM or there are other programs that meet my expectation?

Thank you.

Higher Power

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 11, 2018
Dhruv2193, imuade My PC is Intel i5-4690, 8 GB of RAM, GTX 1060 6 GB. I mostly use for playing games, and I often use medium graphic settings :p

I decided to keep using Windows Defender because I think it is good enough for me and I always be careful with anything that would give a virus to my PC. If Windows Defender is an armor, then I want anti-malware as a shield :)

imuade

Level 12
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 29, 2018
Dhruv2193, imuade My PC is Intel i5-4690, 8 GB of RAM, GTX 1060 6 GB. I mostly use for playing games, and I often use medium graphic settings :p

I decided to keep using Windows Defender because I think it is good enough for me and I always be careful with anything that would give a virus to my PC. If Windows Defender is an armor, then I want anti-malware as a shield :)
If you are fine with Windows Defender, then you can try two products from NoVirusThanks:
  • SysHardener: it can disable some Windows features (for example, Windows Script Host), thus reducing the attack surface. Once you apply the settings, it doesn't work on background, so it doesn't have any impact on PC resources
  • OSArmor: it's a behavior blocker / exploit mitigation / anti-exe. It works in background, but it's extremely lightweight

Now I'm using Windows Defender and Zemana Premium, but I feel like Zemana isn't updated for long. (I use it because I saw many people on this website long ago commented that it was good.)

Before that, I used MBAM Premium. Should I go back to MBAM or there are other programs that meet my expectation?

Thank you.

You can't go by what others on these forums say and recommend. There's a lot more to it than what others think is "best AV ?" You have to trial different programs to see which one works best for you on your specific system(s).

Not a single person has asked you what is your hardware, what is your experience, what are your expectations, etc ?

You will get a ton of well-meaning advice, however most of it won't be very helpful. The only real help is to try different programs yourself.

It appears to me that you prefer minimalist such as Zemana. If that is the case, then check out Cylance. Just a suggestion.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Yes, it is probably the lightest AV out there with a decent detection, but lets not forget it is a cloud AV only. A reliable connection is required, preferably not WiFi, and it can slow down or even break down browsing or other internet activities, while waiting for the response from the cloud.
although it's cloud-only, it can still detect 50% of the total threats by using its offline heuristics
I have tested it woth internet disabled, it detected some malwares without threat names. Then, I turned on the internet, it detected some more

panda is one of the lightest AVs but has to be used with extra care if users use windows 7. If they have w8-10, smartscreen can save them from a lot of malwares
however, if they get malwares outside the internet, they might be in trouble

smartscreen and improved web filters from google chrome and Edge are the reasons why Windows Defender users are very confident that they don't get infected although WD's detection rate is so poor with almost non-existent BB

Moonhorse

Level 37
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 29, 2018
although it's cloud-only, it can still detect 50% of the total threats by using its offline heuristics
I have tested it woth internet disabled, it detected some malwares without threat names. Then, I turned on the internet, it detected some more

panda is one of the lightest AVs but has to be used with extra care if users use windows 7. If they have w8-10, smartscreen can save them from a lot of malwares
however, if they get malwares outside the internet, they might be in trouble

smartscreen and improved web filters from google chrome and Edge are the reasons why Windows Defender users are very confident that they don't get infected although WD's detection rate is so poor with almost non-existent BB
Rumours say zemana is dying, but malware hub seems to tell something else. Care to hit that new malware pack with panda? It seems to be very impressive so far (pack)

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I must reactivate this thread because of my new experience

Bullguard IS is light like the wind with the game booster ( he works now :emoji_pray: ) . it takes ~ 230 MB Ram, but
with the enabled Game Booster, he blocks a lot of needless services from windows in the backround.
No delay during gaming or web browsing...
But with the lack of their behavior blocker I'm not sure to stay with this solution...

What do you think is the better protection combo with focus on lightness?

Panda Dome + OSArmor or Bullguard IS with OSArmor ?

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Panda Dome + OSArmor
This, Bullguard is incredible at ignoring that people keep complaining about BB, it doesn't work as it's supposed to and they can't admit it.

Panda over Bullguard, 2 years ago I would not even touch Panda if it was given for free and Bullguard was at the top back then, times changes and now it's 180o turning point where Panda Dome outperforms Bullguard in every level, right now at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

that's a little surprise for me :emoji_hushed:
I thougt the strong bitdefender sigs can compensate the weak panda sigs and the mediocre bb of panda
but i would not use panda with the settings from @ForgottenSeer 58943...thats all too hardcore for me
If all you do is use .exe installers and not dealing with scripts, you can run even Panda Dome Free with default settings without Application Control and Data Shield and be safe as long as you have OSArmor alongside running.

L

Local Host

Bullguard IS is light like the wind with the game booster ( he works now :emoji_pray: ) . it takes ~ 230 MB Ram, but
with the enabled Game Booster, he blocks a lot of needless services from windows in the backround.
But with the lack of their behavior blocker I'm not sure to stay with this solution...

I would say ESET, but between those two you mentioned I believe Panda is lighter.

Higher Power

Level 1
Thread author
Sep 11, 2018

I've never heard of Bullguard,b ut it worth to check. Thank you :)

I would say ESET, but between those two you mentioned I believe Panda is lighter.

How much ram does ESET use on your PC?

By the way, is Windows Defender+OSArmor reliable?

Reactions: amico81

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.