Littlebits Config

Valentin N

Level 2
Feb 25, 2011
Littlebits said:
Valentin N said:
what cpu do you have?

Funny that you asked, I bet your thinking that I'm using one of the latest quad-core processor.
But I built this system from scratch and ended up getting the wrong size motherboard (Intel 848P-A) when I ordered it online. I got it for just a faction of the regular costs so I decided to use it and intended to put the PC up for sale. So I had to buy a full tower case to fit the motherboard, the only size CPU that would fit it was Socket 478, so I went with Intel Pentium 4 3.20E GHz with hyper-threading which acts like a dual-core but really is only a single core. The fastest CPU compatible with this motherboard. I was thinking, this is going to be a slow PC, but I was amazed how fast it really was. When I benchmarked it, I was really impressed that it ran as fast as some of the more modern CPU's and decided to keep it as my main system. Not as fast a a gaming system, but fast enough for what I use it for. Both the motherboard and CPU was made in 2004 and still fully supported Windows 7.

One of the best systems that I have built.

Thanks.:D

Slightly offtopic

I see. Not bad cpu for that time. just as a tip for next time: Focus on the motherboard and its limits; this way you will be able to buy more accurate things. as cpu I would suggest Bulldozer (AM3+ mothermoard) is around the corner and it will cost 320$ as max. Just a tip :)

I asked because I wanted to understand what CIS had for impact.

Regards,
Valentin N

D

Deleted member 178

i used ZA free long long time ago ^^, it was my "default" firewall on Winxp, then i switched to Comodo (v3) for D+ .

with W7 i think pure firewalls (no HIPS/BB) are no more necessary since Windows Firewall.

of course, i understand that old habits can live long ^^

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Updated: removed ZoneAlarm Free because I won a year subscription to Avast Internet Security.
Maybe go back to ZoneAlarm Free after the subscription has ended or if I don't like Avast's firewall.

So far I'm liking it.:D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Updated, I added system maintenance tools and multi-media tools.

New custom built system:

ASUS M4A88T- M motherboard
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T Processor 2.70GHz overclocked to 3.40GHz
Windows Experience Index : 4.9
Old motherboard died.

Enjoy!!:D

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Driver Identifier
Never heard of this one, thanks
Have you tried slim drivers or device doctor?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
MRF71 said:
Driver Identifier

Both Slim Drivers and Device Doctor tend to give your system the wrong drivers.

Driver Identifier is much different, it identifies your hardware then gives you a download page when you can manually select the correct drivers for your system according to OEM, motherboard and hardware. It is an advanced tool for users who know their complete system specs. If you don't know that then it is best to only download driver updates from: Windows Updates, your OEM support website, motherboard's website or your hardware's website. Never use third-party driver websites or driver updater software. It is not uncommon that the best driver for your system maybe several years old. If it works then leave it alone. I have some drivers on my Windows 7 x64 from 2002 and they never had an update and still work just fine. Most driver updater software always suggest me to update them but when I do, I either get BSOD or the hardware will no longer function correctly.

Other driver update software will only give you one option for a driver update which might not even apply to your OEM, motherboard or hardware. Most driver update software are more dangerous than registry cleaners. Installing the wrong driver can severely corrupt Windows to the point that only a complete reinstall of Windows will repair the damage done.

Microsoft Generic Drivers work very well on Vista and Windows 7, probably Windows 8 as well. Sometimes you simply don't need to install drivers from your OEM, motherboard or hardware websites. Sometimes Microsoft Generic Drivers will make your system more stable than using the official drivers.

Driver updater software is one of the most common online scams besides registry cleaners.

Good day.:D

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Littlebits said:
MRF71 said:
Driver Identifier

Both Slim Drivers and Device Doctor tend to give your system the wrong drivers.

Driver Identifier is much different, it identifies your hardware then gives you a download page when you can manually select the correct drivers for your system according to OEM, motherboard and hardware. It is an advanced tool for users who know their complete system specs. If you don't know that then it is best to only download driver updates from: Windows Updates, your OEM support website, motherboard's website or your hardware's website. Never use third-party driver websites or driver updater software. It is not uncommon that the best driver for your system maybe several years old. If it works then leave it alone. I have some drivers on my Windows 7 x64 from 2002 and they never had an update and still work just fine. Most driver updater software always suggest me to update them but when I do, I either get BSOD or the hardware will no longer function correctly.
Really this is important knowledge which i got from here.
Thanx for sharing:)

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
& yes in Comodo aspect since 2-3 months i m using it & i love its firewall but when i run full scan it show only 5-6 false positive,its shows Folder hiddens files as a threat may be due to its hidden behavier.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
How do you like Avast IS so far Littlebits? I have a license won too but not using in at the time 'cause I have CIS and Norton IS 6 months trial in my dual boot PC (Win8 & 7).

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Nikos751 said:
How do you like Avast IS so far Littlebits? I have a license won too but not using in at the time 'cause I have CIS and Norton IS 6 months trial in my dual boot PC (Win8 & 7).

I like Avast IS but I will probably go back to Avast Free and ZoneAlarm Free after the promo license expires. I basically don't use any of Avast's paid features and ZoneAlarm has better network firewall control.

Of coarse Avast IS is a very good security suite for those who like to buy.
Better, cheaper and more stable then many other paid security suites that I have tried.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Thank you!! Surprised to see you prefer AIS over other suites (KIS, CIS, NIS etc) xD

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Just a small update:

Removed ZoneAlarm Free- because the latest version still doesn't support the latest Firefox, it requires the Security Toolbar because they remove Forcefield with Advanced Download Protection. This latest version is buggy and disables copy and paste features in Firefox and Google Chrome. I'm not happy with the changes.

Added: Privatefirewall (default config) no HIPS features.

Enjoy!!.:D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
PF is a great firewall, less than 4MB download and simply works. Although the GUI definitely needs improvements.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
PF is a great firewall, less than 4MB download and simply works. Although the GUI definitely needs improvements.

It seems to be working very well and is very lite.
However if this decides to start screwing up like other firewalls that I have tried, I will just have to go with Windows Firewall with Advanced Security.

I'm tried of buggy bloated firewalls with a bunch of unnecessary features that causes issues with programs and Windows.

Privatefirewall has all of its advanced HIPS features disabled by default perfect for most users who just want network control.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Do you have any special setup for Avast and Privatefirewall?I'm asking because with these two installed,even if you are blocking the browsers in PvtFW,they are still able to connect to the internet.As far as i know,thats because Avast's webshield is acting like a proxy or something like that...Thank you.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
JoeBlack40 said:
Do you have any special setup for Avast and Privatefirewall?I'm asking because with these two installed,even if you are blocking the browsers in PvtFW,they are still able to connect to the internet.As far as i know,thats because Avast's webshield is acting like a proxy or something like that...Thank you.

I'm just using default settings on both. If Privatefirewall is allowing the browsers to connect after you selected to block them then you need to configure the "Trusted Publishers" on the advanced settings which are always allowed by default to connect. Avast's webshield uses a separate connection because it doesn't conflict.

Enjoy!! :D

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
Privatefirewall is a good piece of software lite & effective but for you everything is ok :),i also uses bitcomet i don't know why people uses utorrent client it is too slow as compare to bitcomet.While i know there is a bad reputation of bitcomet between private tracker & filehippo also angry on bitcomet due to site copy cat incident.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
I'm just using default settings on both. If Privatefirewall is allowing the browsers to connect after you selected to block them then you need to configure the "Trusted Publishers" on the advanced settings which are always allowed by default to connect. Avast's webshield uses a separate connection because it doesn't conflict.

I'm not sure i quite understand...IE is still able to connect even if it is blocked in Privatefirewall.How am I suppose to configure it from Trusted Publishers?With Comodo Dragon and Ice Dragon i solve it,thank you for the tip,by deleting Comodo from TP.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
JoeBlack40 said:
Littlebits said:

I'm not sure i quite understand...IE is still able to connect even if it is blocked in Privatefirewall.How am I suppose to configure it from Trusted Publishers?With Comodo Dragon and Ice Dragon i solve it,thank you for the tip,by deleting Comodo from TP.

IE is listed under Microsoft, but I don't recommend removing Microsoft since you will get prompted every time a single Windows process or service tries to run. Microsoft should always be allowed to connect.

Why would you want to block connections to IE?

The complete bias of Windows OS relies on IE if it is blocked then you can not run the network troubleshooter, network sharing, connection manager, Windows Updates, Windows Explorer, Windows network services, etc. and a lot of other third-party products that depend on IE for web connections like Antivirus signature updates, IM, just about any program that requires web connections uses IE, etc.

Thanks. :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
If you don't use or want IE, you can remove it from Windows Features (Uncheck Internet Explorer > OK > Restart)

Edit: corrections.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.