Littlebits Config

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
If you don't use or want IE, you can remove it from Windows Features (Uncheck Internet Explorer > OK > Restart)

Yes you can remove IE but beware that a lot of programs require IE and if you remove it then they will no longer function.

Read the requirements of all of your programs before deciding to remove IE.

I know several people that removed IE then had to add it back because too many of the programs would not work. Sometimes when trying to add IE back problems occur and you might have to use your Windows disk to repair Windows installation.

Enjoy!! :D

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I've never heard of that before, what common software require IE?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Earth said:
I've never heard of that before, what common software require IE?

Too many to list them all, short answer just about all software that use web connections require Internet Explorer unless they include their own in-house components to make connections or components based on Mozilla, Chrome or other web rendering components.

This includes online pc games, email clients, IM, Skype & chat programs, RSS readers, media players, most programs that check for updates including security products, download managers, file uploader programs, etc.

Thanks. :D

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Why would you want to block connections to IE?
If a game or software for example wants to connect to the internet using IE,i would like to really block IE in this case,not clicking "block" on the Privatefirewall's pop-up but IE connects anyway.So i'm not talking about blocking IE for good.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
JoeBlack40 said:
Why would you want to block connections to IE?
If a game or software for example wants to connect to the internet using IE,i would like to really block IE in this case,not clicking "block" on the Privatefirewall's pop-up but IE connects anyway.So i'm not talking about blocking IE for good.

In that case you would need to customize the rules for that particular game or software in the Process Monitor list and enable "Process detection" in the advanced settings on Privatefirewall. Set the rules for that particular software for Open processes to "Ask". You would not need to change the settings for IE.

VladDracul

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Sep 28, 2011
Littlebits said:
In that case you would need to customize the rules for that particular game or software in the Process Monitor list and enable "Process detection" in the advanced settings on Privatefirewall. Set the rules for that particular software for Open processes to "Ask". You would not need to change the settings for IE.

I already have Privatefirewall with the settings you've mentioned.Ok,thank you.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Quad said:
Nice config, except for the IOBit part, this "company" is just not trustworthy, personally, I won't let a single bit of their programs to exist on any of my computers.

Have a read:

IOBit sucks at ethics
IOBit Steals Malwarebytes' Intellectual Property
IOBit Is Distributing Malware Again

I agree that IObit needs to improve on their ethics but Advanced SystemCare and IObit Uninstaller are the best in those categories and free.

Many other Chinese companies do the same or even much worse, they will have several websites registered on servers in the USA and hide their whois info. Some sites will offer safe free or paid products and others will be phishing scams and distribute malware. I guess this is the way Chinese companies make money to support their freeware development. I suspect other companies outside of China are also involved in this kind of behavior they are just much better at hiding it then the Chinese are. If everyone could go behind the scenes and see how companies do business, most users would probably not want to use any products but open-source.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
MalwareVirus said:
So at the last Bitcomet replaced by the qBittorrent :(

I replaced BitComet because their development is really slow if not abandoned. It was the best in its days but now things are changine and it is not keeping up. It doesn't support modern changes in Youtube downloads or other video sites, it fails to recognize the correct file types for many downloads for example you try to download a video or program and it downloads an html document.

So I replaced my download manager with EagleGet which has done excellent with every type of file and my torrent download with qBittorrent (extremely light, fast no nags or ads).

Enjoy!! :D

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Overkill said:
Can you download vevo videos with eagleget?

No Vevo is not supported but Freemake Video Converter can download from Vevo if you select "Paste Url" on the program settings.

MalwareVirus

Level 1
Oct 6, 2012
"It doesn't support modern changes in Youtube downloads or other video sites, it fails to recognize the correct file types for many downloads for example you try to download a video or program and it downloads an html document."

yes i feel so many times so i used orbit and youtube downloader before now Free download maneger :)
But bitcomet is fast as i feel compare to utorrent as i test in speed.
There is another Thunderbird download maneger i read about that ,that is very fast but mainely for chines people.I used that one time but unable to understand How that works ?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Littlebits said:
Overkill said:
Can you download vevo videos with eagleget?

No Vevo is not supported but Freemake Video Converter can download from Vevo if you select "Paste Url" on the program settings.

Thanks

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
What do you use at the moment? Still Avast free? I think is has become a little bloated and heavy and Avira free really seems lighter.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Yes I still use Avast free on my desktop but on my Windows 8.1 laptop I just use Windows default security, I custom installed Avast with only the File System Shield which makes it very light.
I don't use an email client only web-base email, so no need for the Mail Shield.
The Web Shield just slows down browsing and doesn't offer any better protection since the File System Shield will detect anything running in system memory, browser cache or temp files.
Disabled DeepScreen because I don't execute unknown files.

Yes I also like Avira Free but the one thing that I don't like is its default actions when malware is detected is "deny access".
So in other words it just leaves the inactive malware sitting on your system for you to accidentally click. It should either delete or quarantine detected infections by default. Avira also detects more false positives and doesn't give the option to exclude on the actions like Avast does. You have to manually add each false detection to the exclusions. Avast allows you to set various actions for different detections. Other then that Avira Free is a nice light product that I would recommend.

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
You made me go and check action when detecting malware in avira settings. There is such option in web guard, but there is nothing in realtime scan. Is this normal? Avira does not allow us to set what action to be done when file guard finds malware?

Last edited by a moderator:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
You made me go and check action when detecting malware in avira settings. There is such option in web guard, but there is nothing in realtime scan. Is this normal? Avira does not allow us to set what action to be done when file guard finds malware?

I haven't used Avira Free for awhile now, because the option might have changed but when I did use it, it had very limited control over actions in the real-time scanner. When compared to Avast, all that Avira appeared to detect that Avast missed was false positives. I found it annoying to have to keep adding these false positives to the exclusions.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.