Littlebits Config

A

Alkajak

How do you feel about Windows 8.1 right now? Downgraded from 8.1 to 7 to try your configuration and I find that although it is lighter on my system, 7 feels sluggish compared to 8.1.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
How do you feel about Windows 8.1 right now? Downgraded from 8.1 to 7 to try your configuration and I find that although it is lighter on my system, 7 feels sluggish compared to 8.1.
This config is my desktop Windows 7x64, I use Windows default security on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Yes just about all security products that I tried on Windows 8.1 runs very sluggish. Windows default security runs very fast without any problems. I don't believe third-party security products are 100% compatible with Windows 8.1 because I can run the same products on Windows 7 and they don't make it run sluggish.

Enjoy!! :D

Reactions: LucyN and Petrovic

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Has this been updated since 2011?
The only thing that I have changed is my default browser is now Pale Moon since I don't like the way Firefox is heading.
Why change when everything is working great?

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I like a simple config and better yet never an infection.I have not had an infection since AOL dial-up internet.Has to be every bit of 19 years.Keep it simple with common sense :) If you want to click away every so often play in the sandbox

Reactions: Littlebits

Chefen

Jun 21, 2014
I would use Mban and OA then you have what you need, I have been used that for years and have got no infektion

MrExplorer

Level 28
Verified
Nov 15, 2012
Nice Configuration, Now avast displays a lot of advertisement for upgrading which i don't like at all, why don't you try 360 Total Security (Default Setting) - Very Light & Good Protection.

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Nice Configuration, Now avast displays a lot of advertisement for upgrading which i don't like at all, why don't you try 360 Total Security (Default Setting) - Very Light & Good Protection.
I never see any ads by Avast, simply block "avastui.exe" with your firewall and no ads at all.
360 Total Security is buggy and a false positive heaven.

LucyN

Level 1
Verified
Jun 16, 2014
I've been using Avast. I turned off most of the notifications and used a shorter time on the blocking notifications, so I don't see many ads. I can't remember seeing more than one or two after that.

However, I did uninstall Avast because my Windows 8.1 has high disk usage and freezes. I'm going to try Vipre and if I don't like it I'll use Windows Defender and hope it plays nicely with Windows 8.1

D

Deleted member 178

Windows Defender (ex-Win7's MSE) will always play better than any 3rd party AV in Win8.1 because it is part of Win8.xx , it functions at kernel level (one level deeper than any other AV ( that have to use kernel hooks , less safe).

if you have safe habits , you don't need any other AV on Win8.xx , just set UAC at max,

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
This config is my desktop Windows 7x64, I use Windows default security on my Windows 8.1 laptop.

Yes just about all security products that I tried on Windows 8.1 runs very sluggish. Windows default security runs very fast without any problems. I don't believe third-party security products are 100% compatible with Windows 8.1 because I can run the same products on Windows 7 and they don't make it run sluggish.

This is interesting about WIn7-Win8. What do you mean by saying sluggish? Could you refer to some examples?

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
This is interesting about WIn7-Win8. What do you mean by saying sluggish? Could you refer to some examples?
Sluggish means slow, lagging, not responding, locking up, etc.

Example system starts running as slow as a snail or turtle with third-party security products. :p
System runs like a rabbit or cheetah only using Windows default security.

Reactions: Malware1 and XhenEd

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
With Webroot even faster)
Windows Defender can not be attributed to light antivirus:D

Reactions: Davidov

Nikos751

Level 20
Verified
Malware Tester
Feb 1, 2013
Sluggish means slow, lagging, not responding, locking up, etc.

Example system starts running as slow as a snail or turtle with third-party security products. :p
System runs like a rabbit or cheetah only using Windows default security.

Thanks!
To say the truth, in Windows 8, almost every AV I 've used caused some kind of slowdowns. I don't remember exactly how things are with Windows 7 as I don't have a win7 installation anymore.
But why this?

Is webroot really lighter than Windows 8 defender?

Last edited by a moderator:

Littlebits

Retired Staff
Thread author
May 3, 2011
Webroot is not free (quite expensive) and only runs at the software level below Windows kernel which means it can be hacked or bypassed very easy by advanced malware. Windows Defender runs at the kernel level along with UAC which means it is much harder to bypass or hack. Windows Defender + Windows Firewall + SmartScreen + UAC is enough protection for a careful user who always downloads files from safe sources. It is actually pretty difficult to infect Windows 8, unless you are just ignorant and keep ignoring Windows security prompts. You get two prompts every time you try to run any execute file (UAC and Windows Admin Run warning), SmartScreen blocks most unknown files by default unless you are ignorant enough to manually allow. Still careless users continue to ignore these security prompts and allow themselves to get infected.

Windows Defender is the only AV available to run at Windows kernel level, even if it is disabled and all of its services are disabled it still loads everything into the kernel with each system boot. I believe this is why so many third-party security products make Windows 8 run so crappy. Windows Defender can not be uninstalled without corrupting Windows installation.

So seriously doubt that any AV will run any lighter since Windows Defender processes will still load no matter what.
So you have Windows Defender processes loaded into the kernel even if disabled plus a third-party security product, how could that be any lighter than just using Windows Defender?

Also note that kernel processes do not display in Task Manager or a third-party alternative therefore it is impossible to see what Windows Defender uses if disabled. If enabled then it will displayed.

The security features on Windows 8 are excellent too bad so many users disable them to install a third-party security product because some AV testing site said it was better then have to sacrifice performance issues and less protection.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.