App Review Long review AV TEST, thanks you Warball

It is advised to take all reviews with a grain of salt. In extreme cases some reviews use dramatization for entertainment purposes.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I watched the video carefully for a couple of minutes...... and that Youtube test looks better than some...

Certainly, @Evjl's Rain's comment at the Youtube page is correct. At least I assume that that is Evjl's Rain.

1564398179158.png

I went to the beginning and end of the vid.... isn't there a list that shows products from first to last?

I'm not going to watch that whole thing...

bribon77

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 6, 2017
Norton is good ... But that of number 1 or 2. It is debatable. Example: all MT participants know of security if there was a number 1, we would all have that AV, and we see that it is not so, if there are good AVs but number 1 is debatable.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
The only test that would be accurate is one that contained 100% of all malware that exists at that point in time and it's absolutely impossible to do. Even then the infection method would have to be equivalent to the one the malware uses in the wild not just running it from a drive.

Sample packs detection proves nothing. Sometimes a difference of two minutes in updates may be enough for a product to fail. Disabling modules to run a sample test may be enough for a product to fail. Just running a sample from disk instead of downloading it may be enough for a product to fail.

The most well-known products offer equivalent protection. Just choose the one you like the most, work better in your computer and have a good price.

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I watched the video carefully for a couple of minutes...... and that Youtube test looks better than some...

Certainly, @Evjl's Rain's comment at the Youtube page is correct. At least I assume that that is Evjl's Rain.

View attachment 217571

I went to the beginning and end of the vid.... isn't there a list that shows products from first to last?

I'm not going to watch that whole thing...
I agree with @Evjl's Rain here. I have been saying this for ages. One day and one malware pack does not have the ability to determine one AV is the best against ransomware. In order to claim X antivirus is the best against X malware type you need hundreds of zero-day packs, tested among a long period of time under different scenarios and machines. Else it's just "who's the best antivirus of the day".

beavisviruses

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Oct 8, 2018
Norton is very good but I would not rate it at first place!

why not ? It has excellent detection, excellent zero day protection and excellent phishing, why couldn't it be the best?

The only test that would be accurate is one that contained 100% of all malware that exists at that point in time and it's absolutely impossible to do. Even then the infection method would have to be equivalent to the one the malware uses in the wild not just running it from a drive.

Sample packs detection proves nothing. Sometimes a difference of two minutes in updates may be enough for a product to fail. Disabling modules to run a sample test may be enough for a product to fail. Just running a sample from disk instead of downloading it may be enough for a product to fail.

The most well-known products offer equivalent protection. Just choose the one you like the most, work better in your computer and have a good price.
What you say makes no sense, because if that were the case, you could never test a security product. In the test Norton wins and period, the tests are done completely correctly.

Did ESET finish 2nd?
Eset from what I saw did not qualify even in the first test

Norton is good ... But that of number 1 or 2. It is debatable. Example: all MT participants know of security if there was a number 1, we would all have that AV, and we see that it is not so, if there are good AVs but number 1 is debatable.
Maybe they don't have it because they don't investigate properly, maybe it's the best av and they haven't noticed.

For people asking about Eset, it fails in the first part of the test. It does not qualify.

Last edited by a moderator:

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
What you say makes no sense, but you could never try security software.

This is Beavis and Butthead. It was pretty funny stuff at one time...

Maybe Beavis Viruses is named after him...?

And I agree with you Beavis, Norton is great. It is not surprising that it is #1.

I also agree with you about ESET. It's SO bad, I would not let my dog use it on her computer :p

And thanks for posting the test :)

@beavisviruses It's always great to see you whining on every thread about how someone has disagreed with your opinion or stated that they prefer a different AV to the one you're using.

Boo hoo! Little Bo Peep and her sheep said they prefer a different AV to Norton. Boo hoo!

Last edited by a moderator:
F

ForgottenSeer 72227

Here we go again.:sick:

I'm no losing sleep over this test, it's just another typical YouTube test trying to prove something and rate something based on 1 malware back. @Evjl's Rain said it best. You cannot rate/rank any product on how good or bad it is based off one test/malware pack. No one should be using this test to base a decision on. If you really want to PROPERLY test a product, it needs to be done over a LONG period of time with A LOT of different types of malware/packs. Guaranteed if this individual did his "rating" test tomorrow, the results will be different and Norton may not be #1 that time around.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, YouTube tests are fun and all, but no one should base their decision on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.