Looking for a Security Product Review? Leave your request here!

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
Code:
Full Product Name: Avast Free Antivirus
Version: 2017 (latest updateable version)
Developers Website: Avast | Download Free Antivirus for PC, Mac & Android
Special Testing Requirements (Optional): Poisoned documents (script based) ransomware
According to Avast's CTO (concern)/CEO(consumer division) Ondrej (VLK) their new behavioral blocker is very effective against ransomware. So I am curious how well file shield's "scan when opening OLE documents" and the new (AVG-based) behavioral blocker protect against this ransomware.

D

Deleted member 178

Yes i want to see a test against Windows 10 native security.

Part 1

- SUA with UAC At max
- Smartscreen set to warn or block
- allow softwares from Appstore only
- malware must be downloaded in the test system, not imported from other sources (that must be shown during the test).
- click "no" to any prompts.

Part 2

Using this reg tweak (implemented on Admin Account)

Blocking Unsigned Elevation :
90% of malware are unsigned and will request an elevation from UAC, this trick will block the request.
Create a registry file with this lines :

Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"ValidateAdminCodeSignatures"=dword:00000001

If correctly implemented, the next unsigned process/program; won't be allow to execute, and you will have a error box.
To re-enabled unsigned elevation , use the same line but with "dword:00000000"
Bump !

i guess if someone do this test , the audience will realize that the needs of security softs will be greatly reduced :p

Last edited by a moderator:

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
anyone have any recent reviews they've done or found on symantec endpoint protection (SEP) ?
i think i have option of installing it on my home laptop but it will not be centrally managed i think? (outside company network obviously, and not company laptop, so im guessing it'll be not centrally managed version...)

D

Deleted member 178

anyone have any recent reviews they've done or found on symantec endpoint protection (SEP) ?
i think i have option of installing it on my home laptop but it will not be centrally managed i think? (outside company network obviously, and not company laptop, so im guessing it'll be not centrally managed version...)
Depend how you install it, in your case it would surely be the unmanaged method, which is weaker in term of features.

kamla5abi

Level 4
Verified
May 15, 2017
Depend how you install it, in your case it would surely be the unmanaged method, which is weaker in term of features.
From what i've googled around to see, it uses a dedicated server to manage things in enterprise type setting Ithat IT personnel control)
My company (work) says employees can also download and install SEP on their home computers to use for security software
but says nothing more, so i'm guessing as you said that it'll be unmanaged method/installation

if that is the case (SEP installed unmanaged) is it much weaker than other home AV software?
Or even if its unmanaged, its still better than other home AV software?

Home AV software (to compare to): Bitdefender (what I have now), Kaspersky, others (like Avast), etc ?
I also have ZAL installed, will probably try Voodoo Shield next some time

ransomware protection is i think most important to me, after that comes typical virus/malware protection (behavior, cloud, definition, etc)

do you know which features of SEP become weaker or stop working maybe if SEP installation is unmanaged?

D

Deleted member 178

From what i've googled around to see, it uses a dedicated server to manage things in enterprise type setting Ithat IT personnel control)
My company (work) says employees can also download and install SEP on their home computers to use for security software
but says nothing more, so i'm guessing as you said that it'll be unmanaged method/installation
If you use the company licensed SEP, you will have the choice, but if you decide to use it managed, the admin should tailored the policy to your needs.

if that is the case (SEP installed unmanaged) is it much weaker than other home AV software?do you know which features of SEP become weaker or stop working maybe if SEP installation is unmanaged?
Or even if its unmanaged, its still better than other home AV software?
no, it means with unmanaged you will lack the most important feature (application and device control), but SEP unmanaged is still better than other home user suites. In fact, if i had to use a suite it would be SEP only.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
Can someone test the following?

Webroot Anti Virus, Win Patrol Firewall (Win Privacy), WinAnti-Ransom, Win Patrol Plus, Zemana Anti logger (which includes Zemana Anti malware).

With Hitman (On demand), and Windows Fire Wall.

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Full Product Name: Panda Cloud Fee
Version: Latest version for windows
Developers Website: Panda Free Antivirus
Special Testing Requirements (Optional): Detection test

Been hearing good things from a few users over at wilders. was wanting to see what the fuss was about.

VeeekTor

Level 5
Verified
May 16, 2017
Can someone test the following?

Webroot Anti Virus, Win Patrol Firewall (Win Privacy), WinAnti-Ransom, Win Patrol Plus, Zemana Anti logger (which includes Zemana Anti malware).

With Hitman (On demand), and Windows Fire Wall.

PRETTY PLEASE with Sugar on Top.

Davidov

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Sep 9, 2012
I'm asking for an immune test 6 just released. Under my good detection. Please set the blocking mode. According to me, compared to the state version, very good detection and added new features like ATP td. A is very light on the system 0.01%.It is my new favorite + antixe appsamvid (immune + appsamvid 0.02 gpu)

Immunet AntiVirus

Reactions: Av Gurus

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Full Product Name: Immunet free
Version: Latest version for windows
Developers Website: Immunet AntiVirus
Special Testing Requirements (Optional): Detection test, Live Link test.

Been thinking about using this. but would love to see a review from someone here who I can "trust"

Please do a link test and a static/execution test of leftover samples.

thanks!

Antimalware18

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Jan 17, 2014
Looking for two products this time.

Can someone please test the most recent version of Fortinet Antivirus Free ( all moduals)

and NoVirusThanks OSarmor?

Aluno

Level 1
Verified
Aug 15, 2016
Full Product Name: Arcabit Internet Security
Version: The latest version for windows
Developers website: Arcabit - Wersje trial
Special testing requirements (optional): Please do test against viruses and malware and some ransomwares

Reactions: amico81

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.