Serious Discussion Looking for security advice for new laptop and public wifi

General Security Discussions
9 Replies 1,709 Views

Rov123

Level 1
Hello all,
I recently got a brand new laptop, and I am using this for use while travelling, especially to use in public places such as coffee shops or public libraries. I heard that these public wifis are not secure and connecting to them leave your devices vulnerable to attacks.
I was wondering what are some precautions I need to do for my brand new expensive laptop, such as security softwares installation or what firewalls, antivirus, or any settings I need to change to improve windows 11 security before connecting it to a public wifi?

I am currently thinking of just purchasing premium kaspersky straight up. maybe disable netbios settings, disable ipv6, not sure what else.
 
Hi there,

1. Install a reliable antivirus software and keep it updated.
2. Use a trusted VPN to encrypt your data on public networks.
3. Enable your firewall and keep your system and apps up-to-date.
4. Turn off file sharing and set public networks as "public" in your settings.
5. Use HTTPS for browsing and avoid entering sensitive information.
6. Consider using a privacy screen to prevent visual hacking.
7. Lastly, always backup your data regularly.

Stay safe!
 
Hello all,
I recently got a brand new laptop, and I am using this for use while travelling, especially to use in public places such as coffee shops or public libraries. I heard that these public wifis are not secure and connecting to them leave your devices vulnerable to attacks.
I was wondering what are some precautions I need to do for my brand new expensive laptop, such as security softwares installation or what firewalls, antivirus, or any settings I need to change to improve windows 11 security before connecting it to a public wifi?

I am currently thinking of just purchasing premium kaspersky straight up. maybe disable netbios settings, disable ipv6, not sure what else.
Use a secure DNS (all https traffic is encrypted) that should deal with majority of attacks that can be made and if you don't think that's enough you can use a firewall like you have in Kaspersky (assuming you have the version that includes a firewall )

Alternatively a third party one like

zone alarm free firewall or Symantec (only install the firewall and ids modules)






Personally I think using a secure DNS is enough and every https site should be secure
 
Hello all,
I recently got a brand new laptop, and I am using this for use while travelling, especially to use in public places such as coffee shops or public libraries. I heard that these public wifis are not secure and connecting to them leave your devices vulnerable to attacks.
I was wondering what are some precautions I need to do for my brand new expensive laptop, such as security softwares installation or what firewalls, antivirus, or any settings I need to change to improve windows 11 security before connecting it to a public wifi?

I am currently thinking of just purchasing premium kaspersky straight up. maybe disable netbios settings, disable ipv6, not sure what else.
And yes Disabling smb , NetBIOS etc will definitely help reduce the attack surface
 
You need to do these things:



And use a VPN. I like ProtonVPN. Pick one that has a good privacy policy because some may share/sell your data.

And I would add WHH. Serious Discussion - WHHLight - simplified application control for Windows Home and Pro.

Secure configuration is the game, you don't just purchase and forget.
 
Hello all,
I recently got a brand new laptop, and I am using this for use while travelling, especially to use in public places such as coffee shops or public libraries. I heard that these public wifis are not secure and connecting to them leave your devices vulnerable to attacks.
I was wondering what are some precautions I need to do for my brand new expensive laptop, such as security softwares installation or what firewalls, antivirus, or any settings I need to change to improve windows 11 security before connecting it to a public wifi?

I am currently thinking of just purchasing premium kaspersky straight up. maybe disable netbios settings, disable ipv6, not sure what else.
off topic but model of laptop please?
I am looking for a new laptop so a bit curious.
 
Vpn for sure, but public WiFi is much less of a problem now with HTTPS and TLS being everywhere now. 15 years ago? Sure...

I would have been worried using public WiFi long ago but not now, everything is basically encrypted.

Netbios? IPV6? Firewall? Kaspersky? What year do you live in 2005? Thankfully security and Windows have improved since then and those issues are pretty much left in the past.

Honestly I would just patch when updates are available, and try one of Andy Ful's or Dan's/CyberLock's very good programs depending on what Windows version you use, use Andy's Firewall hardening and Configure Defender and/or maybe add a CyberLock program like Voodoosheild or WDAC_Lockdown and if you don't like Andy Ful's CD try DefenderUi.
 
Netbios? IPV6? Firewall? Kaspersky? What year do you live in 2005? Thankfully security and Windows have improved since then and those issues are pretty much left in the past.
The attacks may be different now, but you still don't want to be low hanging fruit. Basic computer security is still necessary. I hope you are not suggesting that people go running around with no firewall.
 
Vpn for sure, but public WiFi is much less of a problem now with HTTPS and TLS being everywhere now. 15 years ago? Sure...

I would have been worried using public WiFi long ago but not now, everything is basically encrypted.

Netbios? IPV6? Firewall? Kaspersky? What year do you live in 2005? Thankfully security and Windows have improved since then and those issues are pretty much left in the past.

Honestly I would just patch when updates are available, and try one of Andy Ful's or Dan's/CyberLock's very good programs depending on what Windows version you use, use Andy's Firewall hardening and Configure Defender and/or maybe add a CyberLock program like Voodoosheild or WDAC_Lockdown and if you don't like Andy Ful's CD try DefenderUi.
Using a secure DNS and built in security is enough (for encrypted traffic like https)

But in case he wants added security
Disabling certain network windows features , adding an ips firewall would definitely be useful
 
The attacks may be different now, but you still don't want to be low hanging fruit. Basic computer security is still necessary. I hope you are not suggesting that people go running around with no firewall.
Sorry for the confusion I meant that those issues have been either mitigated by Windows development progress or the features have been implemented fully in features in and by Windows now. With firewall it's no longer early XP days with zero firewall and now a good Firewall is implemented in latest stock Windows. My point is there is much more to worry about these days than IPV6 or NetBios, hope that clears things up.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top