Feb 20, 2023
How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 11
On-device encryption
BitLocker Device Encryption for Windows
Log-in security
    • Biometrics (Windows Hello PIN, TouchID, Face, Iris, Fingerprint)
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Access Control
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time security
Microsoft Defender + WHHL
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
About custom security
Auto playback - disabled
O&O shut up 11 (recommended settings)
O&O App Buster ((system slimmed down)
Periodic malware scanners
Scan once a month using the following scanners:
  • EMSISOFT
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • NPE
  • KVRT
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
None
Browser(s) and extensions
Google Chrome with
  • Ublock Origin
  • AVG Online Security
Secure DNS
Quad9 DNS
Desktop VPN
Windscribe VPN
Password manager
KeePass 2.x
Maintenance tools
HiBit Uninstaller
BleachBit
CCleaner
File and Photo backup
Hasleo Backup Suite
AOMEI Backupper Standard
Active subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Once every fortnight, the entire system partition is copied to an external drive.
Risk factors
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Opening email attachments
    • Buying from online stores, entering banks card details
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
ACER AN515-54-551F
What I'm looking for?

Looking for medium feedback.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I see the code from November this year. It has been correctly entered.
How can I check until when the licence is operational ?

Reactions: silversurfer

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Due to the fact that Macrium Reflect Free will be suspended from January 2023, I am switching to AOMEII BACKUPPER PRO (the web is full of one-year free licences). The free version of AOMEII lacks a boot menu for restoring copies (as the free Macrium had) hence the decision to use the PRO version from the free codes.
The real deal is Macrium Reflect Home (Black Friday offer ends tomorrow), because i. you know it works, and ii. you trust it, else you would not have used the Free version for this long. Is there any reason why you cannot upgrade to the Home edition?

Some comments regarding AOMEI Pro.
I have two lifetime licences & moved to Macrium Pro after AOMEI failed on two separate machines over year or two I even defended AOMEI on here - If an imaging program fails it's time to move on - Since I moved to Macrium I've had no problems at all - Sorry AOMEI but that how I've found things.
Source

A am in the failed by AOMEI club too now I have 3 backup software, AOMEI, Macrium, Acronis,
Source

Anyone can slap a Pro label on anything, does not mean it's Professional nor better.

Nautilus

Level 2
Apr 27, 2020
I see the code from November this year. It has been correctly entered.
How can I check until when the licence is operational ?
it states that its a one year license , so my guess is that the program will be activated as "pro" untill november 2023 if you click the crown logo on the top right of the main gui , you will see the text " limited time license " no end date whatsoever unfotunately.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Some users in this forum have posted that AOMEI could not finished a restoration sometimes, so Macrium is more reliable, I would go for Macrium Home, great deal until 1th of Dec: 50%

I'm using Home licence since 2017 and NEVER failed me, last time this morning in a costumer system :)

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I already know that Macrium is one of the best. I don't want to buy any more software - unless I get it as a gift :).

And what do you think about EASEUS TODO Backup Free ??.
I have never had it. Is it worth having it or rather not ??

For the time being I'm looking for free alternatives in making copies of my system.

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
And what do you think about EASEUS TODO Backup Free ??.
I have never had it. Is it worth having it or rather not ??
EaseUS Todo Backup Free, that can be even worse than AOMEI Backupper in terms of reliability. I recall some user reports that restoring failed to work successfully.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
Check the part about Macrium free alternatives

I have seen the juxtaposition. Thanks for the reminder. I had bad memories with Paragon.
Rescuezilla - never used it. Maybe it's worth getting into ?

As for Aomeii. I used to have it on a PC and had no problems with it ( making a copy of the system, restoring the system from a copy). So I don't know now why the negative reviews about it. It is known that Macrium was faster to make copies for me.....

Reactions: Back3

upnorth

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Jul 27, 2015
I am testing Veeam Agent For Windows Free for Windows 11 backups . It looks pretty promising.

Any opinions on Veeam?
One should probably check/search deeper on the credential vulnerability as it's an issue that been reported about 2020 and now also 2022.

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
HBS works great. Today 01.01.2023 I restored the system. Everything went ok and fast.

I have an annual licence for Ashampoo Backup 17 Pro. What do you think of it ?

There is very little information about Ashampoo Backup on the web. Is it worthy of interest?

Reactions: Gandalf_The_Grey

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
I installed the Ashampoo Backup 17 Pro product. But this soft is at the very beginning not for me. It takes a very long time to create copies of Windows 11. I do not risk restoring my system with this program. There is little information on the web about this product. Despite having a one-year key, I will not risk using it on a daily basis.

So the uninstallation of Ashampoo Backup 17 Pro follows.
I have always been a faithful user of MRF until they decided to discontinue the FREE version.

I searched for a long time for an alternative. The first best one (according to the users) fell on Aomeii Backupper (there are often annual free promotions).

More recently, I searched for Hasleo Backup Suite. Completely free of charge. Lots of positive reviews of this programme on the web. I took a risk installed and am satisfied. The interface is in my language PL. The speed of creation, restoration of copies is very good.

The system restore was successful :).

For the New Year 2023, my laptop security measures are as follows as described

Last edited:

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I have Ashampoo Backup Pro 15 sitting and taking up space on this laptop. Until today, I'd never used it and forgot it was even here. It was a free giveaway a couple of years ago, and free attracts me.

I ran a backup, the first, just for curiosity. One hour from start to finish for 54.9G of data. That's the slowest I've ever encountered. I have not tried a restore, nor have I made a rescue disk since this was just a test to see if it really was a slow as people have said. I did unclick pause feature in Settings, so while it was leisurely doddering along I could use the laptop.

I really like the ease of setting up a backup plan. It's so simple that even I didn't make a mistake. The other companies should take note. If Ashampoo could speed things up by half, it could become my primary backup software. This, of course, is with a hard disk drive. SSDs would be much quicker, but I'm cheap and this old HDD is still in good shape, so adding an SSD will have to wait.

• Thanks
Reactions: M4RT1NE2

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
After abandoning the MRF, my copies now execute smoothly and with peace of mind about the security of execution through 2 independent programs:

- Hasleo Backup Suite
- Active @Disk Image Lite

Somehow I don't trust Aomei Backupper. Too many negative reviews.

Of the aforementioned programs - these 2 meet my expectations.

As far as Ashampoo Backup is concerned, for me the program is a failure. Long creation and errors when restoring.

I have peace of mind with backups for the time being ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

M4RT1NE2

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 19, 2022
When it comes to using Active @Disk Image, you need to create a rescue media because the Lite (free) version does not have this option. But making a copy of the system takes a few moments. Restores the same. Checked. I recommend.

HBS is also fast and has a restore option (as a menu added to start, or removable media).

I recommend both. Proven software. Excellent replacements for Macrium Free.

Link to create a rescue disk for Active @Disk Image

Works perfectly with Windows 11

Reactions: oldschool

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.