Advanced Security M4RT1NE2 Security Configuration 2024

  • Thread starter Thread starter ForgottenSeer 94633
  • Start date Start date
Last updated
Feb 20, 2023
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
macOS 15 Sequoia
On-device encryption
Windows BitLocker / Device Encryption
Device sign-in security
    • Windows Hello PIN or biometric sign-in (face / fingerprint / Touch ID)
Security updates
Allow security updates
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
On
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time protection
Microsoft Defender + WHHL
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
Auto playback - disabled
O&O shut up 11 (recommended settings)
O&O App Buster ((system slimmed down)
Periodic malware scanners
Scan once a month using the following scanners:
  • EMSISOFT
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
  • NPE
  • KVRT
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
None
Browsers and extensions
Google Chrome with
  • Ublock Origin
  • AVG Online Security
Secure DNS
Quad9 DNS
Desktop VPN
Windscribe VPN
Password and passkey manager
KeePass 2.x
Maintenance tools
HiBit Uninstaller
BleachBit
CCleaner
File and photo backups
Hasleo Backup Suite
AOMEI Backupper Standard
Subscriptions
    • None
System recovery
Once every fortnight, the entire system partition is copied to an external drive.
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Visiting unknown or untrusted websites
    • Working from home
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
ACER AN515-54-551F
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

From the Norton website:

The Norton SafeCam feature is only available to a limited number of users.

Someone explain to me what this is all about.
My version of Norton Security Standard has this feature in the description. And after installing it, I don't see it in the settings. :unsure:
 
There are some of the things that I do when I use Norton.

On Administrative Settings, I turn off/disable,

1. Idle Time Optimizer.
This feature Defrags your system drive. But there have been reports from users that Norton even defrags SSDs when what it should do is, Trim. So it's advisable to disable it and enable Windows's own defragment feature which Norton turns off when it gets installed.​

2. Norton Task Notification.
I had situations where I was watching a movie but there was a notification from Norton that it has started a quick scan which may happen when the device has been idle for 10 mins.​

3. Special Offer Notification.
It's self-explanatory.​

4. Firefox Temporary File Cleanup.
Don't know why they have this feature there.​

On Antivirus,

5. Set Boot Time Protection and Behavioral Protection Advanced Mode to Aggressive.

On Task Scheduling,

6. I disable everything and set Scheduling to Manual Schedule.

On Backup Settings,

7. I disable Backup as I already have my important files backed up elsewhere.
 
I'm not sure why you don't have it :unsure: Data Protector feature had a similar case in the past for some users. Try contacting their support and ask if they can do something about it.
@Trident Do you have any idea?
It appeared for me automatically after it was missing for a while. There is no specific action to be taken, it appears on its own. Seems to be a regional thing.
 
It appeared for me automatically after it was missing for a while. There is no specific action to be taken, it appears on its own. Seems to be a regional thing.

I have Norton as of today. Maybe it will show up in the days to come. Although it is a strange situation for me. It should have been there straight away. Otherwise they should write about it in the product description. Time will tell. Thanks for the information. :)
 
It appeared for me automatically after it was missing for a while. There is no specific action to be taken, it appears on its own. Seems to be a regional thing.

After contacting Norton support today, I learned that the Norton Security Standard plan does not have SafeCam functionality.
I was suggested to switch to Norton 360 Deluxe plan which has SafeCam, VPN, Password Manager, Cloud Backup.
The cost of such a transition in my currency is 4.99 PLN ( about 1 Euro)

I am satisfied with the transaction and the very performance of Norton. It is the lightest package I have had on my laptop while already being a user of this forum (and there was F-Secure, Arcabit IS and others).
 
After contacting Norton support today, I learned that the Norton Security Standard plan does not have SafeCam functionality.
I was suggested to switch to Norton 360 Deluxe plan which has SafeCam, VPN, Password Manager, Cloud Backup.
The cost of such a transition in my currency is 4.99 PLN ( about 1 Euro)

I am satisfied with the transaction and the very performance of Norton. It is the lightest package I have had on my laptop while already being a user of this forum (and there was F-Secure, Arcabit IS and others).
Has the Data Protector now appeared as well?
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

You may also like...

Continue exploring the conversation.

Back
Top