New Update Macrium Reflect Home

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Seems to work okay but only PE rescue media (on USB & Windows Boot Menu) worked for me, the RE version (on USB) returned errors on boot saying there's system files missing & that system needs a repair - I tried it twice with same result. I didn't record exact wording as I use the Windows 10 PE version rescue media but if you use the RE version you might want to double check it works for you.
when I get an expected popup notice nowadays, I either take a pic with my iphone or a snipit so I can better refer back to it. o_O

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
so I opened MR to update to 8.1.7638 and got an unexpected popup re invalid license key. so I called MR support/sales and rep emailed me a new license key which worked aok and then I updated ok too. But even on the phone license question was confusing (to me) I do have Home. She said I have a perpetual license, and the I upgraded December 2022, but it is good thru the end of the year 2023... I hope I took notes last December as the call was confusing. I can upgrade further to an annual license and get better support, ie, better than perpetual. I have always liked MR, but I'm wondering if the current licensing policy is relatively new as I was at least 2 cups of coffee short of understanding the phone call...

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Seems to work okay but only PE rescue media (on USB & Windows Boot Menu) worked for me, the RE version (on USB) returned errors on boot saying there's system files missing & that system needs a repair - I tried it twice with same result. I didn't record exact wording as I use the Windows 10 PE version rescue media but if you use the RE version you might want to double check it works for you.

when I get an expected popup notice nowadays, I either take a pic with my iphone or a snipit so I can better refer back to it. o_O

Finally got a chance to rebuild Macrium rescue media and created a new RE rescue USB... same problem arose and this time I captured same as suggested :) I've created a RE & PE USB rescue media for every version of Macrium for years without issue so not sure why this would be an issue now. SFC & DISM commands report no system file corruption found.

MacriumRE_Error.jpg

Last edited:

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
**Update on last post**

Posted above on Macrium's support forum and received following reply from Macrium representative:

Hi @JasonUK,

We are aware of this issue and are looking into it. Can you please boot back into Windows and rebuild the rescue media as WinPE 10/11

https://knowledgebase.macrium.com/display/KNOW80/Change+PE+Version

Once rebuilt can you please try and boot back into the rescue media.

So if you're relying on RE rescue media you may want to test yours works ok.

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
Hi after the free version is over in Jan 2024 how long is it usable for ?
Do we start looking for other free alternatives?
I might give easeus free a try
The free version should be ok until some serious issues occurs or severe incompatibility with the future versions of Windows or major security flaws.
However, I will probably buy a license for the Home version from the Black Friday if the price it at least 50% off.
You can try AOMEI Backupper Standard which is also great from my personal experience with it.

comps

Sep 10, 2023
Can I get some help. I just joined this forum. I'm

a basic/elementary PC user (W11).

I've used MR FREE for years and it indeed has saved my

bacon a few times. I've had it installed in my boot

menu. I regularly do a complete image of my SSD.

When I have to restore from B/U I just choose the

load PE on my boot-up. It loads that and MR, I

choose RESTORE and 10-15 minutes later I'm

breathing a sigh of relief!

My problem: my boot option has disappeared.

It just isn't there. I recreated it via MR. It seemed

to build it, but no joy and now that build choice is

greyed out. I have 3 PCs: 2 W10s and this W11.

Same issue. Not sure when this started. I recently

updated Windows in all 3 (including to 22H2).

Suggestions? (I have MR FREE 8.0.7279)

Mel

Reactions: [correlate]

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
My problem: my boot option has disappeared
It just isn't there.
Suggestions? (I have MR FREE 8.0.7279)
@comps, I had an issue about a week ago with Macrium, somehow it lost my license key (or that's what it seemed to be) so it was not working properly. I called them, and rep emailed the key, turned it was the same key I had had, I re-input it, and MR was then working normally again, and I updated. Remote chance this could be problem? Others here may have better idea, MR is a popular app. Also consider contacting MR support phone or email.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have yet to install MR to start backing up my system for I have one question which till now still confuse me.

Do I install MR on say D: drive and back up the C: (system) image to another drive or install MR on C: drive (default) and back up C: image to another drive? Whichever method I choose there will be some MR files installed on C: drive, right?

Is MR exe file located on C: drive upon installation just like other programs?

Any help?

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
I have MR installed on the C: drive. All program files are therefore also on the C drive: I alternately save the backups on two external USB SSDs. I integrated the rescue medium in the boot menu. Restoring the backup from this rescue medium has always worked without any problems.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
I have MR installed on the C: drive. All program files are therefore also on the C drive: I alternately save the backups on two external USB SSDs. I integrated the rescue medium in the boot menu. Restoring the backup from this rescue medium has always worked without any problems.
So you are not using MR on C: drive to restore your backup ie clicking the MR icon on your desktop to perform the restore?

And after integrating the boot rescue medium in the boot menu is MR still required on your PC? Or can I remove MR?

Reactions: [correlate]

Oldie1950

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 30, 2022
No, I don't start the restore from the C: drive, but start MR when booting the PC from the rescue medium that I have integrated into the boot menu. When I boot the PC, I always have the choice of whether I want to start Windows or the rescue medium. If I don't make a selection, Windows starts automatically after 10 seconds.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
No, I don't start the restore from the C: drive, but start MR when booting the PC from the rescue medium that I have integrated into the boot menu. When I boot the PC, I always have the choice of whether I want to start Windows or the rescue medium. If I don't make a selection, Windows starts automatically after 10 seconds.
Anything wrong with restoring from C: drive?

I understand restoring via booting is good if C: drive cannot boot up.

F

ForgottenSeer 97327

@HarborFront Works as well, with additional options (to recover only files or folders). But as @Oldie1950 said, the boot menu option is really great, no need for recovery USB. Boot menu has never failed me (even when I was to enthousiastic with WDAC and made the Windows unbootable). Note when you choose to restore from the desktop program, Macrium reboots, so using the boot menu is as fast.

Last edited by a moderator:

B-boy/StyLe/

Level 3
Verified
Well-known
Mar 10, 2023
I am using the same strategy. A boot menu and I have a Recovery USB just in case the whole drive got corrupted. A restore from Win should be ok (I guess that the program would require a reboot to complete) but I really prefer to do this outside Windows (to avoid conflicts with locked system files and so on).

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
How are Aomei Backupper and Easeus backup in terms of reliability? Anyone try both lately ?
I might look into Hasleo?

Just a quick question if I have a boot menu of a backup program and make an extra partition on my same ssd and back up to that partition ,can i use that backup from that partition to restore? Thks

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014

Macrium Reflect Home v8.1.7675​

Bug fixes and Improvements v8.1.7675 - 9th October 2023
  • Security Update - CVE-2023-43896
    • This update applies a security patch to psmounterex.sys. We advise you to install this release to ensure the security of your system.
  • Cloning
    • System Clones made to an empty disk could fail to boot without running 'Fix Windows Boot Problems'. This has been resolved.
  • Imaging
    • Incremental image backup of a dynamic volumes could fail to mount. This has been resolved.
    • Image backup of the system volume on a dynamic disk using Rescue Media may fail with 'Access is denied'. This has been resolved.
  • Rescue Media Builder
    If the Rescue Media drivers override settings were modified in a particular sequence, then the Rescue Media Builder could delete drivers from the host system C:\Windows\Inf folder. This has been resolved.
  • General
    • Some files were being left in C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Local\Temp. These are now deleted after use.
    • When a backup Desktop shortcut was created with the 'Prompt' option, backups were incorrectly running in the background. This has been resolved.
    • Backup comments added via Desktop shortcuts were not getting saved. This has been resolved.
    • We have added a new menu option for submitting a support case. After contacting support for a case number, you can now take the 'Help' > Submit Support Ticket…' to provide log and system information to help us to resolve issues.
  • Various
    Various other minor fixes and changes to improve Macrium Reflect.
Source: Macrium Reflect Patch Details

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.