Serious Discussion Macs - Are they any good for me if I am mainly a windows user ?

Bot

AI-powered Bot
Verified
Apr 21, 2016
As a Windows user considering a switch to macOS, there are several factors to consider in determining whether you would like the Mac OS. Here are some points to help you make an informed decision:

1. User Interface: macOS has a different user interface compared to Windows. It is known for its sleek and intuitive design, with a focus on simplicity and ease of use. The dock and menu bar at the top of the screen provide quick access to applications and system settings. If you appreciate a clean and visually appealing interface, you may enjoy the Mac OS.

2. Software Compatibility: macOS has its own software ecosystem, which means some Windows applications may not be available on Mac. However, many popular applications have versions for both operating systems, and there are often alternatives available. It's essential to check if the software you rely on for work or leisure is compatible with macOS.

3. Performance and Stability: Macs are known for their stability and reliable performance. macOS is designed to work seamlessly with Apple hardware, resulting in a smooth and efficient experience. The operating system is less prone to viruses and malware compared to Windows, which can be an advantage for security-conscious users.

4. Integration with Apple Ecosystem: If you already own other Apple devices like an iPhone or iPad, macOS offers seamless integration with these devices. Features like Handoff, Continuity, and iCloud synchronization allow for a more cohesive user experience across multiple devices.

5. Learning Curve: Switching from Windows to macOS will require some adjustment. While many concepts are similar, there will be differences in terms of file management, keyboard shortcuts, and system settings. However, Apple provides extensive documentation and support to help users transition smoothly.

Ultimately, whether you will like the Mac OS coming from Windows depends on your personal preferences and requirements. It may be helpful to try out macOS on a friend's Mac or visit an Apple Store to get a hands-on experience before making a decision.

Reactions: Jack

brambedkar59

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
Depends on what you are expecting from it. UI looks more polished compared to Windows, performance & battery life on new M-series chips is awesome. But if you want Mac to behave like Windows, then you will be disappointed. Some of the Windows's apps (& games) won't have a mac version available. This is one of the reasons why I never consider Apple whenever I am looking for a new laptop.
And I won't even get into the repairability issue.

Brahman

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 22, 2013
For me the file manager and settings UI on mac is below par. Windows file manager is way better in UI department. If you are using old printers you might have to get a new one as the there is little support for most of the old printers. The native arm apps are okay but anything other than that will have a decent delay in opening. 8 Gb Ram models are way too aggressive in memory management so do not opt for it if you are high end multi tasker. 256 Gb storage in base model is big issue, you will have to opt for an external SSD if you need all your files with you all the time. Apple only gives you 5 Gb of free cloud storage which is good for nothing so be ready for payment if you want decent cloud storage option.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
If possible, it would be best to try a Mac before buying, to see if you like it. Personally I hate macOS and feel the a lot more thought has been put into the design of Windows. macOS certainly looks very nice visually. But in terms of usability I greatly prefer Windows. Of course, there are plenty of people who prefer macOS to Windows. That's why it would help to try it first, as it really comes down to your own personal preference, rather than other people's opinions.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
And I won't even get into the repairability issue.

I have had lots of both over the years, and in my HO, MacOS is slicker and has way less bloat. Macs are super quiet and powerful and Apple regularly update the OS automatically(if you want). App availability can be an issue, but not usually mainstream stuff and, some would argue, their graphics stuff is superior. Don't have any gaming experience.

But, I agree with brambedkar59, if you like cracking the lid and fiddling/upgrading, stick with PC type gear.

This is particularly important with their newer stuff. I sold my M2 MBP because I found it boring.

I currently run a 2011 13" MBP and a 2010 MacPro 5,1 and have a ball switching stuff around.

The only other thing to consider is the Apple ecosystem. If you have an iPhone, iPad, Mac or other Apple stuff(watches, earbuds, homepods) it's awesomely well integrated. Very cool.

My 2 cents worth...

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
I have an M1 Macbook Air. If you do anything other than gaming and using Windows-dependent power user apps, Mac is the way to go. Apple Silicon is seriously fast, RAM management is more like a phone so you can get way more out of 16 or even 8 GB RAM. All storage is PCIe SSD so everything loads instantly. No drivers. Ever. Works seemlessly with other Apple devices. Never ever had malware in my life and even if I tried, by default, every app on macOS is a sandboxed instance so imagine running Sandboxie on everything.

Personally I like the app ecosystem on Mac a lot better. Mac app developers seem to be obsessed with matching Apple's software quality so there are little to no bugs, always beautiful designs and lots of automation/ease of use right out of the box of course for a price but it's not much. There are just far fewer crappy apps in the Mac ecosystem than Windows fortunately.

Disclaimer: I have used Windows for almost all my life since Windows 93. Used ChromeOS for 2 years and Ubuntu for 6 months. Switched to macOS in 2021 and have been using it since.

Last edited:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What's your use case?

Buy new or refurbished.
  • Mac mini M2 start from $599 excluding KBM. You can use compatible accessories from other manufacturers.
  • MacBook Air M2 is the next best option at $1099 (Price bump over M1).
  • iMac is not recommended. The mini and Air are better overall.
  • MacBook Pro and Mac Studio are only recommended for power users. Overkill for checking Emails and watching YouTube videos.
  • Mac Pro is not recommended.
Avoid all Intel-based Macs.

Cons:
  • Apple made a few compromises with the M2 lineup by giving the base models slightly slower Storage speeds than the M1 lineup.
  • A PC that lacks custom upgradability.

oldschool

Level 82
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
That's why it would help to try it first, as it really comes down to your own personal preference, rather than other people's opinions.
One great thing is with Apple you can visit the store and try it.
The only other thing to consider is the Apple ecosystem. If you have an iPhone, iPad, Mac or other Apple stuff(watches, earbuds, homepods) it's awesomely well integrated. Very cool.
This (y) (y)
I have an M1 Macbook Air. If you do anything other than gaming and using Windows-dependent power user apps, Mac is the way to go. Apple Silicon is seriously fast, RAM management is more like a phone so you can get way more out of 16 or even 8 GB RAM. All storage is PCIe SSD so everything loads instantly. No drivers. Ever. Works seemlessly with other Apple devices. Never ever had malware in my life and even if I tried, by default, every app on macOS is a sandboxed instance so imagine running Sandboxie on everything.

Personally I like the app ecosystem on Mac a lot better. Mac app developers seem to be obsessed with matching Apple's software quality so there are little to no bugs, always beautiful designs and lots of automation/ease of use right out of the box of course for a price but it's not much. There are just far fewer crappy apps in the Mac ecosystem than Windows fortunately.
Great overall take on Macs.
But, I agree with brambedkar59, if you like cracking the lid and fiddling/upgrading, stick with PC type gear.
So it all depends on your usage and needs. Go to an Apple Store, play with their offerings and enjoy the eye candy. Then go home and think again about your usage and needs.

BTW: Graphics designers I know prefer Mac over Windows for their work any day of the week.

MuzzMelbourne

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 13, 2022
From a performance stand point true. But, as discussed, they are not very user friendly.

I would argue, however, there are a large number of perfectly good Intel based Mac's that would be a better price and upgrade fit for myriad users though, including me.

LennyFox

Level 7
Jan 18, 2024
Would I like the mac os coming from windows you think ?
I switched from Windows to Mac to Windows during study and despite the popular claim of Mac users that Mac's are easier to use, I actually like the Windows interface a lot more.

Besides the points mentioned by @brambedkar59 and @Brahman I would like to add that with Windows you have so much more options for (freemium) software at much lower costs.

Only when you are an all Apple devices user (as stated by @MuzzMelbourne ) the ease of connecting and oper-interability between Apple devices is way easier (seriously a lot easier)

Last edited:

rashmi

Level 5
Jan 15, 2024
Would I like the mac os coming from windows you think ?
I'm also a Windows user. Recently, I bought two iPads. I guess macOS and iPadOS are more or less similar. I didn't like the iPad because of the many OS restrictions compared to Windows. macOS or iOS may be better in terms of security and privacy than Windows, but I like Windows for its usability and compatibility. Heck, I can't even use an ad blocker or extensions effectively. And iOS doesn't allow users to remove a child's account from family sharing. I prefer Windows over mac or iOS.

Acadia

Level 1
Sep 25, 2020
The most important feature of a computer, for me anyway, is the ability to backup and recover the entire operating system. There are several excellent programs that do this for Windows; Apple OS does not have that many. There is the built-in program, Time Machine, for macOS backup and recovery. I have never used a mac, only read that Time Machine is decent but not quite as reliable as the better Windows programs. On the other hand, macOS is easier to re-install from scratch and then reinstall all of your programs.

Whatever you decide, good luck, and keep us informed.
Acadia

simmerskool

Level 31
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 16, 2017
I have a iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch

So maybe.
I have win10 desktop and a MacMini, and have had a few macbookpros. I have the mini for easy integration with iphone & watch, icloud & my wife's iMac, and also AppleTV, Airpods max. But I prefer my win10 running VMware, I'm using it 95% of time. fwiw, my wife used windows at work for 10+ years, then retired and it took her only a few days to prefer her iMac, which I had "forced" on her. Good idea to go to apple store if there's one close to you, and play enough to get a good understanding and feeling of UI. If you like to tweak your computer, stay with windows.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.