New Update Make text darker with Chrome Font Super Enhancer

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
I read a post on tenforum about a Chrome extension that makes the text darker. I tried it and it does really make things sharper and easier to read. Helps a lot with gray text. Extension is called Chrome Font Super Enhancer, it is in the Chrome app store. It also works in Edge. I thought I would pass it along here on MT.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
@Captain Holly does it make any difference in the Edge or its only designed for Chrome?
No, I tried it in both Chrome and Edge and it works the same in each. The text is darker and has a sharper contrast which makes it a lot easier to read. On some sites when you first load the page you will see the old style gray text just for a split second then it changes the darker and clearer text. This seems to be a very good extension so far.

C.H.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I read a post on tenforum about a Chrome extension that makes the text darker. I tried it and it does really make things sharper and easier to read. Helps a lot with gray text. Extension is called Chrome Font Super Enhancer, it is in the Chrome app store. It also works in Edge. I thought I would pass it along here on MT.

C.H.

Just off-topic, but as you mentioned the forum of tenforums, I currently have this issue:

BleepingComputer and TechSpot : Tech Enthusiasts, Power Users, Gamers have this issue. Can you help me please to fix this? Thank you.

Reactions: SeriousHoax

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
Just off-topic, but as you mentioned the forum of tenforums, I currently have this issue:

BleepingComputer and TechSpot : Tech Enthusiasts, Power Users, Gamers have this issue. Can you help me please to fix this? Thank you.
I am not sure on that one, I had problems too with Amazon in Edge, I have pretty much switched to Chrome anyway. I had other problems with Edge too and just found Chrome to be much more reliable. I have not had that Amazon problem in Chrome and I don't use Edge often enough to know if its Amazon problem still exists.

C.H.

Captain Holly

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jan 23, 2021
This one works better for me:
Font Rendering Enhancer
I use that one too but this new Chrome extension makes the pages look even better. Maybe the two work better when used together, I have not tested that. I do not see well up close and my laptop display is not quite as bright or high resolution as I would like anyway. I only read about and started using the Chrome Font extension just today but so far am very happy with it. I don't like the gray font on some websites, it's hard to see even on a bright screen.

C.H.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I use that one too but this new Chrome extension makes the pages look even better. Maybe the two work better when used together, I have not tested that. I do not see well up close and my laptop display is not quite as bright or high resolution as I would like anyway. I only read about and started using the Chrome Font extension just today but so far am very happy with it. I don't like the gray font on some websites, it's hard to see even on a bright screen.

C.H.
I agree. "Font Rendering Enhancer" you mentioned is better than the first. I set it to the 50%.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
It really makes a huge improvement. Fonts are a thing that I always hated about Chromium browsers, while Firefox does such a great job at it. It's a shame that we need to use extensions to fix it.
Which one you did try? The first or the second ""Font Rendering Enhancer"?

Reactions: SeriousHoax

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Which one you did try? The first or the second ""Font Rendering Enhancer"?
Both looks the same to me. I was using white theme for the past couple of days when it was useful. Now I've gone back to dark theme so texts are white for me everywhere and in this case the extension doesn't seem to make any difference. But even in dark theme, Firefox's fonts still looks better.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

Enabling the flag mentioned in the link is the best thing to do in the Edge stable version.

Last edited:

niente0

Jul 28, 2022
Now there's a "Dark mode support" flag in Chrome Font Super Enhancer, it should help with Chrome dark themes (otherwise in my opinion it's better to leave it off)

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020

C.H.

This extension got updated in July 28. Again thanks for mentioning it here.

amirr

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 26, 2020
I set Edge Canary as my default now. I noticed that font rendering is better in Canary compared to the stable.

• Applause
Reactions: silversurfer

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.