Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
So as everyone is probably aware, I had to suspend my malware analysis course for a while because of personal issues and general lack of time to get things up and running.

Anyway, having been thinking about this recently I have been considering the idea of integrating the course into MalwareTips. So in the same way that other forums would have courses for malware removal, MalwareTips could potentially have one for Malware Analysis.

This is just an idea and I wanted to see what members here thought about having the course right here on the forum instead of me setting up a separate server and pulling traffic away. I'm thinking this could be a simple subforum with multiple nested sub-forums. There could be an information library which would be open to the public and provide information on the purpose and usage of various analysis tools, although specific training with these tools would be given in the course to accepted members.

I just wanted to see what people's thoughts on this are, I'm personally all for the idea of giving back to MalwareTips and the community but ultimately this is just an idea and not my decision (@Jack has the final say over this, please bear that in mind everyone).

Pros:
* Potentially more traffic to MalwareTips and more appeal to high quality, technical members coming here to improve or expand their skills. Malware Analysis as a subject tends to attract the more technical members and knowledgeable members.

* Samples for testing available at the Malware Hub. Might be interesting to see members analysis and discussions of samples appearing alongside the standard detection rate posts.

Cons:
* Lack of teachers. Would need to be more than just me teaching this course. Although I could potentially train interested members with an intermediate knowledge and experience of malware. Dynamic analysis is not that difficult to learn, I could handle teaching static analysis on my own in that case. Students completing the training could also teach eventually.

Once more, just an idea. As my free time is greatly increasing and my health is improving, I feel ready now to begin working on the malware analysis course again with a possible launch in a month or so. Feels like the right time to suggest this and see what everybody thinks. I'm sure you will all have some pros and cons in mind that I haven't thought of :p

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
I love this idea:):)
If we were kites, suspended upon invisible air currents, this could be a significant part of our framework construct holding us together and keeping us aloft!;)

On a more sober note, all work (even when Cowpipe is having more free time..) and little rest makes for a tired Cowpipe. So, I'd be willing to lend a hand, or a supporting shoulder, where it would help!

Last edited:

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
Of course I am willing to be a malware analyzer also. Well ; perhaps I am not the best best reverse-engineer ever, but I can test malware behavior. If necessary, also run in my own system (ESET pretty much screwed my config anyway...quarantined real viruses from my VM to my D drive).

So insulted to not be quoted here. ih8u.
I'm down for that idea.
I forgot many people like TwinHeadedEagle, Dani Santos, Bora etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

NullPointerException

Level 12
Verified
Aug 25, 2014
I support this idea and I think it would be great for the forum. Not only is this good for MalwareTips views but will also increase the knowledge of users active on the forum.

Below I'm going to tag some people which come into my mind with expertise with malware. Don't be offended if you aren't tagged.
@Jack
@MrXidus
@TwinHeadedEagle
@NullPointerException
@Huracan
@Malware1
@Aura (now you aren't offended ;) ).
If Jack doesn't support this, I'll politely PM this song to him.

Petrovic

Level 64
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 25, 2013
I can offer these books
APT-Protection-For-Dummies_100p.jpg

Beginning-Programming-All-In-One-Desk-Reference-for-Dummies-9780470108543.jpg

nukes-for-dummies-x.png

rofl.gif
rofl.gif
rofl.gif

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I would just like to say something not as a staff member but as a fellow MT member.This idea has been suggested and you would like to see it implemented.However lately all I see is confrontations and questioning other members level of experience in threads such as introductions and security configs.This idea in one way or another has made its way out of here like a nasty piece of malware that is slowly infecting the whole forum.Threads are going way off topic and then become shoutbox type conversations.Some of these in other members intro or security config threads(nothing whatsoever to do with the OP) :confused: Really do you think this will help your plight in getting this idea implemented.It is just an idea right now and is already causing problems.
Before I get jumped on for my personal observations and views,it is not everyone.However I am way too old to sit back and not say anything.Im just trying to understand how you think Jack is going to go for an idea when its already gone in another direction.

Cowpipe

Level 16
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Jun 16, 2014
I would just like to say something not as a staff member but as a fellow MT member.This idea has been suggested and you would like to see it implemented.However lately all I see is confrontations and questioning other members level of experience in threads such as introductions and security configs.This idea in one way or another has made its way out of here like a nasty piece of malware that is slowly infecting the whole forum.Threads are going way off topic and then become shoutbox type conversations.Some of these in other members intro or security config threads(nothing whatsoever to do with the OP) :confused: Really do you think this will help your plight in getting this idea implemented.It is just an idea right now and is already causing problems.
Before I get jumped on for my personal observations and views,it is not everyone.However I am way too old to sit back and not say anything.Im just trying to understand how you think Jack is going to go for an idea when its already gone in another direction.

I'm sad to say I agree with you exterminator, and it wasn't until you posted that I saw it as clear as day. Please close this thread for me and I hope you accept my apologies.

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
I'm sad to say I agree with you exterminator, and it wasn't until you posted that I saw it as clear as day. Please close this thread for me and I hope you accept my apologies.
This thread does not need to be closed,it is fine :) Im just saying some took it a bit too far in places it shouldn't have been.That has been taken care of though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.